Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [64]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618787 [33]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [1]
Send PM
Re: How many different four-letter words can be formed (the words don't [#permalink]
Kudos
Please, could you explain that to me so that I can easily understand?? I am very bad at perms![/quote]

we should complete word E _ _ R using set {M-1, E-2 (one E we use as the first letter), D-1, I-1,T-1,R-1 (one R we use as the last letter) ,A-2,N-2}

So, the set consist of 5 single letters and 3 pairs of letters.

1. for second position we have 8 cases (or 5+3)

2. for third position we have either 8 cases (second letter is from a pair) or 7 cases (second letter is single letter).

Therefore,
N=(3*8+5*7)=59

I understand point 1 and point 2 as well...but why N=(3*8+5*7)?thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: How many different four-letter words can be formed (the words don't [#permalink]
Expert Reply
In the above problem, if the letters of the word MEDITERRANEAN are allowed to be used multiple times irrespective of their count in the parent word (commonly referred as ‘repetition’ in the P&C parlance), the answer would change. Let me explain the solution for such a case.

We need to fill the 2nd and the 3rd place with letters present in the word MEDITERRANEAN. Since, there are 8 different letters (M, E, D, I, T, R, A, N) in the word MEDITERRANEAN, the 2nd place can be filled with 8 possible letters and the 3rd place can also be filled with 8 possible letters (because, in the case we are discussing here, the letters can be used multiple times, even if they are present only once in the word MEDITERRANEAN).

So, we will have a total of 8*8 = 8^2= 64 possible set of words

Similarly, if the above case is extended to the first and the last letter as well (i.e. we don’t have the constraint of having ‘E’ as the first letter and ‘R’ as the last letter), we will have 8^4 possible sets of words which we can form from the word MEDITERRANEAN.

The key here is to be careful on two points:

Whether letters can be used more than their count in the parent word, in this case MEDITERRANEAN.

If yes, then we need to focus only on different letters present in the parent word, in this case the 8 different letters in the parent word MEDITERRANEAN.

Hope it helps!

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I used a diffrent method:

we can also solve this question with combinatorics fairly easy:

after E and R are set as the first and the last letters we are left with the two middle ones.

since both E and R show up more then once we can still use all the original letters for the two remeaining blanks.

actually our bank of letters will now look as so:
M=1
E=2
D=1
I=1
T=1
R=1
A=2
N=2

if all remaining letters would have shown up just once the answer would have been:
#=8P2=8!/(8-2)!=56

but since we are left with 3 letters that show up more then once (E,A,N) we need to add the possibilty of using the same letter twice, meaning:
#=8P2+3=59

so the answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello all,
First, sorry for posting on this post again, idk if it is allowed :?
I understood the correct answer, but I cannot figure out why my approach is incorrect.
We know the total of letters as well as the total of repeated letters.
M - 1
E - 3
D - 1
I - 1
T - 1
R - 2
A - 2
N - 2
And we know that E and R have been already used once, so we now have 2 E's and 1 R.
If the question was: how many different 13-letter words can be formed, I would calculate like this:
E x x x x x x x x x x x R - > 11! / (2! * 2! * 2!) (and there is an answer for that)
As the question if for 4-letter word, and we have just to spaces left, I would just do this:
11 * 10 / (2! * 2! * 2!)
I know that this is incorrect (also because it isn't an integer number :lol: :lol: ). But I do not know why!
Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM