Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Re: How many Indians apply to top 20 US b-schools? [#permalink]
LSEguy wrote:
I have observed that there is a large applicant pool coming from India. Most of these guys/gals have really solid GMAT scores (720+) and excellent work experience.

How many Indian applicants are there at the US top 20 b-schools? (approximate number?)

How many seats are on offer each year at the top 20 US b-schools?

Dont think the answer is that straight or adcoms are that strict that they quantify the number. But most importantly they want to have a diverse class. Unfortunately a lot of people from India have really high GPA's and work experience in the IT sector so they end up knocking each other out. Few who manage to distinguish themselves by working in better industries do quite well. Again this is my opinion based on my observations at HBS and Sloan.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Some Googling would have helped:

Indians are the second largest contingent of foreign students studying in the US (down from the first position as there is a 30% increase in the number of Chinese!!). 104,897 students in all, a majority of whom apply to MS in EE/CS or MBA.

That's the number of students *studying* in the US. So the number of applicants could be 2x or 3x the number of students.

I wouldn't be surprised if 15,000 Indians apply to MBA programs and 10,000 apply to the Top - 20. Could be more, but you wanted a number and I have given you a number.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
wow! u have a curious curiosity :)

but here is what you can do, most of the schools give a breakup by region of admitted students..... so gather the stats and then apply the ratio between admit/denied

this should give u a good figure of how many inidan applications were written for business schools and then maybe then divide the above result with the average number of applications written by an inidan candidate.

Should give you a pretty good estimate and then its up to you to run all sorts of analysis on it to come close to the real deal... im sure this way would give u rough estimate.....

good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Silvers wrote:
wow! u have a curious curiosity :)

but here is what you can do, most of the schools give a breakup by region of admitted students..... so gather the stats and then apply the ratio between admit/denied

this should give u a good figure of how many inidan applications were written for business schools and then maybe then divide the above result with the average number of applications written by an inidan candidate.

Should give you a pretty good estimate and then its up to you to run all sorts of analysis on it to come close to the real deal... im sure this way would give u rough estimate.....

good luck :)

Good approach Slivers, but I am not sure that would be very accurate.
The problem is that the acceptance rate for Indian candidates (especially IT Males) is far lower than the college's overall acceptance rate.
I got an idea of this speaking to a Tuck alumni once.
He told me that around 400 Indian IT applicants vie for about 10-11 seats in the program, whereas the overall acceptance rate for Tuck is around 10%.

The result obtained from your approach would have to be multiplied by 2 or 3 to get a more accurate figure.
GMAT Club Bot