Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Re: How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers [#permalink]
4^6 too

tough questions kapslock :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
kapslock wrote:
gmat2me2 wrote:
How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers? Please explain.

Baner's answer assumes any finger can have any number of rings (which is perfect, since no restriction has been specified in the question)

Try the following interesting variations:

1) How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers when a finger can have a maximum of 2 rings?
2) How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers when a finger can have a maximum of 3 rings and each finger must have at least 1 ring?
3) How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers when at least 3 fingers should have rings and any finger can't have more than 2 rings?

I don't know the actual answers, so would post the answers I calculate in a while.

Alright Antmarvel, I am posting my calculations. Correct me if I am wrong (I just invented these problems on-the-fly) and post if you've got a better solution.

I am assuming the rings are all alike.

It would be interesting to solve for rings being distinct :) (Antmarvel - don't I just keep increasing the complexity? :) )

1) 8 places on 4 fingers, 6 rings, problem of choice of 6 from 8.
C(8, 6) = 28.

2) Since each finger must have one ring, lets place 1 ring in each finger. 4 rings gone, 2 remain, and now we have 4x2 = 8 positions (2 positions for each finger now remain - since each finger could accomodate a max of 3 rings). Again, a problem of selecting 2 out of 8, C(8, 2) = 28.

3) Case 1 : 3 fingers have rings. Place 1 ring each in these 3 fingers. You've 3 rings remaining now. Available positions = 3. Choices = C(3,2) = 3.

Case 2: All 4 fingers have rings.Place 1 ring in all 4 fingers. 2 rings remain, for 4 positions. Choices = C(4,2) = 6.

Thus total choices = 6 + 3 = 9.

I have some doubt on the solution for case 3. Antmarvel/anyone else would want to have a look please?

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
This one is definitely too tough for me, I am still reviewing easy quant :roll:

However I hope HongHu, Ywelfried, banerjeea_98, rupstars and others to correct your post or to confirm the answers you've given because I want to know how to calculate this :?: :?: :?:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Wow so many rings and fingers. ;)

I agree the answer to the original question is 4^6 if the rings are different from each other. It may be more complicated if the order of the rings on one finger is important. Would it be 4^6*P(6,6)?

If they are not different from each other, then we need to separate the 6 rings into four sections with three divisors. Total number of positions is 6+3=9 for 6 rings and 3 divisors. We need to pick three positions to place the three divisors. So the outcome would be C(9,3).

Now the different variations:

kapslock wrote:
1) How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers when a finger can have a maximum of 2 rings?

Assuming they are not different from each other. There are 6 rings and 4 fingers so that means there could only be one finger without a ring if each finger can have a maximum of 2 rings. The outcome would be C(4,1) to decide which finger would be the bare finger, then the other three fingers would have 2 rings each.
Another type of outcome would be no bare fingers. In other words each finger would have at least 1 ring, then we need to pick two fingers to each have 1 more ring. The outcome would be C(4,2).
So my answer to this question is C(4,1)+C(4,2)

If they are different from each other, then order would become important too.
One bare finger: C(4,1)*P(6,6)
No bare fingers: C(4,2)*P(6,6)

Quote:
2) How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers when a finger can have a maximum of 3 rings and each finger must have at least 1 ring?

Assuming they are not different. Each finger must have 1 ring so we only need to arrange the 2 extra ring. The total outcome would be C(5,3)=10. You could also do it this way: the two rings are in one finger: C(4,1). The two rings are in different fingers: C(4,2). Total outcomes=4+6=10.

If they are different, then we would need to take out the case where there is one or more bare fingers from the total outcome 4^6. This will also take care the maximum 3 condition.
4^6-3^6-2^6-1

Quote:
3) How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers when at least 3 fingers should have rings and any finger can't have more than 2 rings?

Isn't it the same with question number 1)?

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts