Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7813 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: how much can I trust Manhattan CAT score? [#permalink]
OldFritz wrote:
Manhattan GMAT scores should be taken with a tablespoonful of salt. Some things are almost constant: if you're doing extremely well on MGMAT quant, chances are that you are very good at math and won't find the actual GMAT math difficult.

MGMAT Verbal score? Ha, trust it at your own risk.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

I'm Using the manhattan gmat test prep books what book(s) would you recommend that I completely skip over during my studying, and why. Any recommendations? I'm using all 8 books, I have the Verbal OG 12, Math OG 12, OG GUIDE 12, and OG Guide 11, and foundations of Gmat Math from MGMAT.

-laythesmack23
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I had the same question and searched for it on the MGMAT forums. The MGMAT representative said that their CATs generally have a standard deviation of 50 points. However, and perhaps most importantly, she wrote that the MGMAT CAT scores do not consistently bias higher or lower (she said the bias is less than 10 points). Granted, this was an MGMAT representative, but I didn't see a reason not to believe her.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
laythesmack23 wrote:
OldFritz wrote:
Manhattan GMAT scores should be taken with a tablespoonful of salt. Some things are almost constant: if you're doing extremely well on MGMAT quant, chances are that you are very good at math and won't find the actual GMAT math difficult.

MGMAT Verbal score? Ha, trust it at your own risk.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

I'm Using the manhattan gmat test prep books what book(s) would you recommend that I completely skip over during my studying, and why. Any recommendations? I'm using all 8 books, I have the Verbal OG 12, Math OG 12, OG GUIDE 12, and OG Guide 11, and foundations of Gmat Math from MGMAT.

-laythesmack23

Actually I think MGMAT Set of 8 books study materials is top-notch, so you are on track.

However, for CR you should consider the PowerScore CR Bible, as it is entirely devoted to helping you understand CR. You may want to supplement the MGMAT SC textbook with Aristlotle's New SC Question, as it emphasizes on the new "meaning" SC questions.

As for Quant, I think the MGMAT books do the best job of teaching you the concepts. For Quant practice questions, the GMAT Club tests are peerless, especially if you want to challenge with reasonably hard GMAT-like questions.

Anything OG is gold. Use them. Reserve the GMATPrep tests as final practices before D-day. I am willing to try and answer any other questions you may have.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Continuum to above: Overall, my advice is that don't invest too much trust into your MGMAT verbal score on their CATs.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OldFritz wrote:
Actually I think MGMAT Set of 8 books study materials is top-notch, so you are on track.

I just finished the foundations of gmat math, well, I'm on the last chapter, geometry. I estimate that it will be at least 1 week before I'm done with it.
Should I jump immediately to the numbers properties and should I base my studying from the mgmat questions, or should I immediately start studying the OG Guide questions? or do them both? Like do 50 problems in the morning? then do a book at the same time? What would you suggest for me to get a really high score on this?

My plan is to take the exam in october, to meet round 1, or 2 at the latest. If I end up with a 680-700 I'll be a happy camper. The end goal is not to retake the exam, this would be more than ideal.

What kind of strategy would you layout, based on the tools I have right now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Laythesmack23,

There's nothing wrong with jumping to number properties if you think geometry is going to take too long. Just do the number properties in the MGMAT book, then do the official guide examples to reinforce the concepts while getting a real feel of GMAT like questions.

But I think 50 questions in the morning is a bit too much. 15 questions on the same topic sounds fine really--personally I find that diminishing returns set in when I overload on practice questions at a sitting. As your skills and confidence wax, you should come on the forum and try your hands at sample questions from GMATclub tests and contribute as well to reinforce your knowledge. Feel free to post any further questions.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Old Fritz, thanks. I started to go through the Geometry, and I'm half way done now. I did not want to move forward without finishing the chapter. I'm anal I guess. So 15, timed right? So do number's property, then the questions pertained to the book, and also the manhattan gmat syllabi? How often would you redo the problems that you get wrong? Also, for a 700+, can you recommend anything else that I can incorporate in my studying?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
laythesmack23 wrote:
Old Fritz, thanks. I started to go through the Geometry, and I'm half way done now. I did not want to move forward without finishing the chapter. I'm anal I guess. So 15, timed right? So do number's property, then the questions pertained to the book, and also the manhattan gmat syllabi? How often would you redo the problems that you get wrong? Also, for a 700+, can you recommend anything else that I can incorporate in my studying?

Yes, do Manhattan's Number Properties, then do that book's recommended exercises from the OG and the GMAC Quant Review (2nd Ed.). You should approach things systemically here. You can proceed via the Manhattan syllabus. However, don't solve questions from too many places at the same time. Just remember that the Manhattan Books are intended to build your foundation, and the OG and Quant Review serve to test your understanding of those concepts GMAT-wise.

Ultimately, you should crown your Quant efforts by tackling GMATClub Tests. Once you "come of age," the GMATClub Tests and Manhattan CATs will be there to test you on a higher level, if you're shooting for 700+.

Don't bank your hopes of 700+ excessively on Quant: Verbal is, to a bigger extent, key to higher scores, as top scorers keep saying. (And as far as Verbal goes, Sentence Correction is key. But that discussion is for a different day.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
So really, what you guys mean is that verbal scores in Mahattan CAT will indicate lower scores in real tests?

I tried to learn from the topic above but I'm still confused.

Thanks,
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Well, we can't comment for the ManhattanCAT tests. However, do note that no test prep company's algorithm will exactly match the real thing. The most we can do is get close.

That said, students of the GMAT PILL practice generally report scores within +-30 points of what they are getting on the real thing.

Should you decide to test yourself with another free test, we invite you to explore this evaluation here:

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51460 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nhung wrote:
So really, what you guys mean is that verbal scores in Mahattan CAT will indicate lower scores in real tests?

I tried to learn from the topic above but I'm still confused.

Thanks,

It is very difficult to emulate your probable GMAT score and in most cases as a test prep company, you should not be too concerned.

Take CATs to review and MGMAT is worth its salt.

I do know for a fact that MGMT verbal is more formulaic and rule based rather than meaning, so expect a slightly better verbal score (rather accuracy)
GMAT Club Bot