Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 09:43 It is currently 15 May 2024, 09:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 808 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: How much might a higher GMAT affect my app? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi, bryyce99,

Thank you for your post!

First, I would like to congratulate you on backing a stellar 740 in your GMAT. That’s quite exceptional, so kudos on that! What’s more interesting is that you were able to score subsequent 770s with moderate effort!

Now, two things to consider. First, the average score for your target school for reference, you can refer to our article on Average GMAT scores for top MBA programs, you will get some beneficial insights about top B-schools in the US, Europe, and Canada! Secondly, consider how much effort you can put into the retake, considering your busy schedule, job, and building other elements of your profile! If you feel you have enough time and a bit of moderate hard work could do it, go ahead; you have our best wishes!

For a deeper understanding, you could refer to our article on How Important Is a Good GMAT For MBA, it would help you understand the benefits of a high GMAT score! Finally, I would like you to share your profile with us to understand the circumstances, as with an overall strong profile, a score of 730+ is more than enough to get into top B-schools. Hence, If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further chances to your target MBA programs; feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

bryyce99 wrote:
Just finished taking the GMAT online and got a 740 (V44, Q48). Objectively I know I should be happy with this score, but it's not great compared to my six official mocks. My baseline mock was 720 (cold), and then I got a 730, 770, 760, 770, and 770 on the subsequent official mocks over a few weeks of moderate studying.

Is it worth taking again in a few days? Does a 740 vs. 770 really matter for b-school admissions?

Any feedback would be helpful!

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
bryyce99 wrote:
Just finished taking the GMAT online and got a 740 (V44, Q48). Objectively I know I should be happy with this score, but it's not great compared to my six official mocks. My baseline mock was 720 (cold), and then I got a 730, 770, 760, 770, and 770 on the subsequent official mocks over a few weeks of moderate studying.

Is it worth taking again in a few days? Does a 740 vs. 770 really matter for b-school admissions?

Any feedback would be helpful!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi bryyce99,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this will be of help to you.

740 is a good score but there is a difference between 740 and 770; so, if you can, you should retake. There is, practically, nothing to lose.

Good luck! :-)
GMAT Club Bot