Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 00:36 It is currently 02 May 2024, 00:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Shutout of?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: How much of a hindrance is a super low g.p.a.~ 2.5-2.7ish [#permalink]
It'll be tough sledding, but not impossible (except maybe H/S). Plenty of low-GPA threads on GC. At this point though, just focus on crushing your WE.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
What you do after graduation will be much more important than your undergrad GPA. If you go to work at a good company and are promoted and/or take on roles with increasing responsibility, you will be fine. Also, if you were to go to law school and got good grades there, that would also cover up your low undergrad GPA.

Regardless, whatever you do next will give you a lot more perspective on what to do with your career- including b-school. Don't worry too much about your undergrad GPA; it is by no means a deal-breaker.
MBA Prep School Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Bluedolphin,

It would be great if schools would do away with 8am classes, wouldn't it? At least, that was my big downfall.

GPA is definitely a big portion of the application process and you'd want to take steps to make up for poor performance in college (i.e., take a classes in the disciplines where you received less than stellar grades, be prepared to explain what happened and show some correction post graduation, etc.). You'll also want to show strong career progression and success prior to applying.

However, what's more concerning to me is the idea of law school vs. business school. These two grad schools largely set you up for very different lives. While there are some careers that you can entire with either graduate degree, I would take this opportunity to truly assess where you want to be in 5, 10, 20 years. Do you want to be a lawyer? If not, law school (even debt free) seems like it might not be the best use of three years of your time. However, if you do pursue a law degree, I would recommend spending more time focused on academics as both future employers and potential business school admissions committees will want to see a strong showing.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do,
The MBA Prep School Team
GMAT Club Bot