Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: How much should I push? [#permalink]
metallicafan wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
Hi buddies,

I am at the begining of the final part of my preparation in the quant section. I almost have reviewed very deeply every topic evaluated by the GMAT. My preparation material is basically the Jeff Sackmanns's problems (fundamental and challenge problems), the OG 13th edition, and GMAT Club questions.
However, I have a doubt:

I don't know whether should I focus too much in difficult or very difficult questions (let's say 650+ and 700 level). I don't want to waste my time in questions that I probably won't see in the real GMAT; I would prefer to pay more attention in the Verbal section. For example, when I practice the LAST quant problems of the OG, they are easy for me, except for some of them, but in general not so difficult.

Some time ago, I have read that you don't have to solve every extreme difficult question in the GMAT in order to get a great score. My desired score in quant is 50.

Please, help me with this doubt. Thanks!

MetallicaFan

Why do you want a 50 on the Quant? Aren't you more interested in the final score?
If you can score high on the Verbal (40+), you don't have to do so much on the Quant. See the table, according to which it pays off to invest in the Verbal part:

gmat-score-translation-table-121864.html

Good luck!

Yes, I am very interested in the final score. Actually, I want a 740. In the verbal section, I would like a 42. I am spending more time in the verbal section than in quant, and that's why I would like to reduce more time in my quant preparation to use it in the verbal section.

I want a 50 in order to be sure that I will get that final score. For example, in the case I don't get a great score in verbal, just good, my quant score will save me. :)

What do you think?

What is your starting point? How are you doing now on each of them, Quant and Verbal, based on some practice tests?
Then, evaluate how much you need to improve, approximately what effort will each need and then decide...sounds simple, no?

I know it's not easy at all.
Doesn't matter what people will tell you, you cannot get away from taking the responsibility and decide for yourself, as you are the person who best knows You :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi there!

I'd say that for the toughest Q questions, example problems aren't really that helpful; at higher difficulty levels, the questions that show up do so in unusual forms, and doing sample problems won't really help you out there. Just make sure that you are familiar with the GMAT's quantitative concepts - if you've got a solid grasp on the basic concepts, and you can figure out which ones are relevant to the particular question that you're working on, you'll be fine.

Best of luck with your GMAT - go for that Q51!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:
Hi buddies,

I am at the begining of the final part of my preparation in the quant section. I almost have reviewed very deeply every topic evaluated by the GMAT. My preparation material is basically the Jeff Sackmanns's problems (fundamental and challenge problems), the OG 13th edition, and GMAT Club questions.
However, I have a doubt:

I don't know whether should I focus too much in difficult or very difficult questions (let's say 650+ and 700 level). I don't want to waste my time in questions that I probably won't see in the real GMAT; I would prefer to pay more attention in the Verbal section. For example, when I practice the LAST quant problems of the OG, they are easy for me, except for some of them, but in general not so difficult.

Some time ago, I have read that you don't have to solve every extreme difficult question in the GMAT in order to get a great score. My desired score in quant is 50.

Please, help me with this doubt. Thanks!

MetallicaFan

To get a Q50, you should be able to do the 700 - 750 level questions. If you are finding them hard, it means you may not be prepared for Q50. It is true that you don't have to be able to solve each and every high level question to get 50 but you should be able to get most of them at home. The stress during the test might actually make you stumble on things you do understand so if you are aiming for Q50, you have to ensure that you can identify the concept being tested. Mind you, the questions you will get in the actual test will not be the same as those you see in books but they will only be variations of the same concept. If you practice, it will be easier to identify the concept, else you may get into trouble.
Needless to say, work hard in Verbal too.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thank you buddies! Your advice is very precious and helpful.
Regards,

MetallicaFan

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts