GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How much weight does an Alternative Transcript carry?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
How much weight does an Alternative Transcript carry?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 11:36
Hi all! I'm new here!

My goal is to get into McCombs. I'll of course be applying to many other schools, but my family is in Texas so UT is my top preference.
I plan on applying to the program next year, in 2019. This gives me about 18 months until I need to submit my applications.
I had an awful undergrad GPA, and I have been scoring ~700 on my proactice GMAT exams. I think I can get this up to 730-750 before I need to apply.
By the time I apply, I will have 5 years of work experience as an engineer at a top company.
I also have some extra curricular activities to include in my applications (Big Brother/Big Sister, Work Volunteering/leadership).

So back to my GPA. It's not great.
I graduated with a 3.0 from a smaller university (BS EE)
I also took courses over summers at a local community college. I didn't take these courses seriously and I got a 2.5 GPA from that college.
I didn't think I would ever need it.

To improve my chances of getting into my dream school, I'm wondering if taking online extension courses at UCLA will help me offset my atrocious GPA.
Since I have the time, I should start ASAP but I only want to spend the time if it will help.

Could I get some advice?

Thanks in advance!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: How much weight does an Alternative Transcript carry?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 12:44
Hey BadGPA
Thanks for posting. You know, based on your username and the beginning of this post, I thought you were going to tell me that your GPA was 2.0. In the grand scheme of things. 3.0 is not *that* bad, but be cognizant that for the top programs, including McCombs, this will put you at the very bottom of the GPA range. It looks like their 80th percentile GPA range starts at 3.02. So you're in the bottom 10th percentile.
What can you do?
1. Take HBX Core if you want to feel that you've done everything in your power to prove your ability. It's not cheap, but it is very well-respected. This is my top choice for you. If this is too pricey, look at Haas Math for Management online. It's cheaper and it's good. A lot of people will recommend MBAmath.com but for you, I think you need to do more than that.
2. Write an optional essay that honestly and candidly describes why the 3.0 happened. (Hopefully there is an upward trend in your GPA over time?)
3. Try to get a great GMAT score, which can help give the AdCom more confidence in your abilities. 730+ would be ideal.
4. Broaden your list of schools. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Add some schools outside the Top 20. Consider Georgetown, Notre Dame, Kelley...

I hope that helps!
All the best for your apps!
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: How much weight does an Alternative Transcript carry?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 18:21
Thanks for sharing your profile. The best way to improve the perception of a low GPA is with a high GMAT, so that is the first place you should start. So you have the right target GMAT scores. Now I would also recommend working on your alternative transcript it will help, and schools like to see applicants acknowledge weak areas and work towards showing growth. Target some quant courses like Stats, Econ, Finance, Acct, etc

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How much weight does an Alternative Transcript carry? &nbs [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 18:21

How much weight does an Alternative Transcript carry?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap