Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 18:07 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 18:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11885 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1893 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4809 [1]
Given Kudos: 681
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: How to attempt RC's based on Humanities [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shubhi022
Can anybody guide me how to solve RC on humanities topic. I have been constantly struggling to solve them.
There's a lot of information related to women revolution or some government laws or the constitution and its just too much of information to process and keep in mind while solving the questions?

How should I approach them, please somebody guide me ?

Like for eg. this particular RC, I got all the questions wrong :(
https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-the- ... 22703.html

Hi Shubhi022,

We might not be able to find an easy fix for such issues. You could try making notes, but the more important thing to do is to read more (of the kinds of things that you aren't comfortable with).
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATWhizTeam
Shubhi022
Can anybody guide me how to solve RC on humanities topic. I have been constantly struggling to solve them.
There's a lot of information related to women revolution or some government laws or the constitution and its just too much of information to process and keep in mind while solving the questions?

How should I approach them, please somebody guide me ?

Like for eg. this particular RC, I got all the questions wrong :(
https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-the- ... 22703.html

Hi Shubhi002,

There is a misconception that you have to use certain reading strategy for every RC topic. But you have to understand that, GMAT provides enough context for you in the passage to answer the questions and GMAT doesn't test your knowledge on any of the topics. So, it's the methodology and the approach that you have to work on. Let me help you here.

The right way to read a passage:

• Read the passage
  • Understand the purpose of the each sentence
  • Draw inferences from each para
  • Summarize the para once you finish reading it
  • Derive the main point by summarizing the summaries of individual paras
  • If you come across any details while reading the passage, skip them for the moment as you can always come back to that specific part if you need to solve detail based questions
  • Once you finish reading the passage, read the question stem
  • Go to the relevant area of the passage and make sure you draw the right inferences
  • Eliminate answer choices carefully (either irrelevant, out of scope or opposite choices)

Overall, read the passage in an inferential manner and draw the right inferences. Understand the purpose behind writing the passage. If you closely observe, you can eliminate most of the incorrect answer choices based on words such as establish, evaluate, describe etc. So, make sure to understand the difference between these words.

In fact, we have recently conducted a webinar on this topic. Below is the recording for the same.

And there are many more webinars in the line. We have started a Score Booster Webinar series to help students understand the importance of strategies and at the same time teach them a few. You can use the below link to register for the same.

Registration Link: Click here

If you have any more queries regarding the study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call

Thanks a lot @GMATWhizTeam,I have been using the same method to attempt the RC. I'll try to summarize each of the para while reading, I tend to miss that as I also have to keep track of time.

This was helpful :)
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1893 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:

Thanks a lot @GMATWhizTeam,I have been using the same method to attempt the RC. I'll try to summarize each of the para while reading, I tend to miss that as I also have to keep track of time.

This was helpful :)

Great!! Do not time yourself at this stage. First focus on getting the method right. Once you start getting 80% accuracy and once you feel confident, you can start taking timed quizzes.
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi Shubhi022,

While you will likely see at least one RC passage on the Official GMAT that involves a subject from the Arts/Humanities, you have no way to know for sure which subjects you'll be reading about (nor how challenging the passage will be) - meaning that you your focus should be on developing overall RC skills and Tactics (so that you can properly handle ANY RC passage that comes your way). How do you typically deal with an RC passage? What type of notes do you take?

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels

Thank you so much for replying.

I usually don't take notes, I read the passage and try to get a whole sense of what the RC is all about and then attempt question and whenever I forget some information I go back and check. This method is helpful for all the other RC's such as business, science but with humanities I have to struggle.

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week? This is my second attempt for GMAT. 28-30 hours each week.
2) What study materials have you used so far? GmatClub and E-GMAT
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? I haven't started taking any mocks yet. For now I am practicing my week areas.

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score? Near 700
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to? I'll apply around August-September

I have almost answered all your questions. Please suggest some way for attempting Humanities RC's :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11885 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Shubhi022,

Taking practice CATs/mocks at regular intervals is an essential part of the GMAT training process. While it's not clear how long you have studied in total, assuming that you've put in some significant study time already, then you really MUST take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon - perhaps this upcoming weekend. That initial diagnostic CAT is important - it helps to define your strengths and weaknesses and gives you a basis for comparison as you continue to study. Until we have that result, we really have no idea how severe your current 'issue' with RC actually is (and there might be other issues that are more significant). Most Test Takers are not happy with that first CAT result, but that's not a big deal - the extra months of available study time are there so that you will be able to IMPROVE on this initial practice result. Once you have that Score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot