Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: How to deal with CR ! [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Here are the answers to your questions (in bold):

1) How long have you been studying for the GMAT? - Its been 3-4 months
2) What materials have you been using? I've completed all the Manhattan Guides except the CR Guide
3) How comfortable are you with the overall Verbal section (including SC and RC)? Yes RC and SC are fine

4) What is your goal score? - 720 +
5) How have you scored on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? - I've taken only one CAT recently and I could not complete either of the sections completely even though I usually do well on Quants the Clock kind off affected me a lot during the test
6) When are you planning to take the GMAT? - Next Couple of months

I do not want to delay taking the GMAT anymore and I'm ready to do whatever it takes to do well on the exam.

Cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi asciijai,

Before I can offer any practical advice, I really need to know how you perform when you take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections). With that score, we can better define what you have to work on (including any pacing issues you might be having)? Thus, I suggest that you take that CAT sometime soon (maybe this weekend). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can talk through any adjustments you should make to your study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
asciijai wrote:
Hello,

I've been preparing for the GMAT and I Must say CR is the only section that haunts me and unfortunately it garners the most number of questions. Here is what happens when I start tackling CR Q's:

It takes me a lot of time to digest and understand what is mentioned in the options. So, I want to speed up on that front.

I've really not practiced a great deal of CR Q's.

What should I do to really improve on CR ? Is it really important to go through books like Powerscore etc ?

What should be the ideal way to deal and prepare for CR ?

Cheers !

Increasing speed takes practice. Force yourself to read faster by allotting 10 mins to a set of 5 questions. If you practice without a clock ticking by your side, the sense of urgency will never come. Always time yourself while practicing (not while learning though - give as much time as you need to concepts)

Going through one particular book is not important - what is important is understanding what each question type entails and how to handle it. There are different resources you can use to achieve this.

Check out this link which lists many of our CR posts:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/?s=crit ... ng&x=0&y=0
GMAT Club Bot