GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 14:34
Guys,
Need help.
Hours Spent in Preparation : Probably around - 180-200 Hours. (2 Months)

I took GMAT prep Exam1 -- Scored 49 -- retook GMAT prep Exam 1 after a week's preparation -- scored 49 again. I know that climbing to 51 is a huge ask and I am willing to take the path.

Training material : Gmatclub
Classes joined : Mathrevolution. Just because they said our students score (49 - 51). Mind you I was already aware that my score was around 49. But still Math revolution has its own techniques which are really worth knowing.

My weak areas include:
1. Geometry.
2. Inequalities.
3. Recognizing problems that involve Allegation as the solution when the question is tricky.

Though I am not totally unaware of the concepts in Geometry and Inequalities, I struggle indeed.

The Deficits in me:
1. Breezing through the question too fast. ( Question states Blah Blah Blah is a positive Integer Blah Blah Blah) - (My Brain : "Blah Blah could be a real number" - **** you brain).
2. Ego + Fear (Not Massive but when I face a problem that I am not able to think through - Eats up the time; Fear: What if the next problem is of the same difficulty level and I struggle again?).
3. Poor Comprehension a few times( Ex1: A farm has 60 animals, 2/3 of them are either pigs or cows. My Brain: Either there are 40 Pigs or 40 Cows; Hence there are 20 Cows or 20 Pigs.
Ex2: A phone call is charged 5$ for the first three minutes and 1$ every minute after three minutes. My Brain: The cost for first three minutes is 5*3 =
15$?????!!!!!!! **** you brain).
4. Silly Mistakes ( x+y, x-y ,x+5y,5x-y are the polynomials available find the probabilty that two polynomials chosen will result in x^2-(b)y^2 b is an integer.
1. Total ways to choose two polynomials - 4C2 = 6.
2. Total possible polynomials are x+y, x-y - 2???????? - **** you (1 Pair) = 1 so the probability is 1/6 not 1/3.)

Any questions/ Suggestions are welcome. Please help me out in this.

Then I took a mock test by Economist -- Scored 51.
Attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 18.6 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 23:05
sriramsundaram91 wrote:
Guys,
Need help.
Hours Spent in Preparation : Probably around - 180-200 Hours. (2 Months)

I took GMAT prep Exam1 -- Scored 49 -- retook GMAT prep Exam 1 after a week's preparation -- scored 49 again. I know that climbing to 51 is a huge ask and I am willing to take the path.

Training material : Gmatclub
Classes joined : Mathrevolution. Just because they said our students score (49 - 51). Mind you I was already aware that my score was around 49. But still Math revolution has its own techniques which are really worth knowing.

My weak areas include:
1. Geometry.
2. Inequalities.
3. Recognizing problems that involve Allegation as the solution when the question is tricky.

Though I am not totally unaware of the concepts in Geometry and Inequalities, I struggle indeed.

The Deficits in me:
1. Breezing through the question too fast. ( Question states Blah Blah Blah is a positive Integer Blah Blah Blah) - (My Brain : "Blah Blah could be a real number" - **** you brain).
2. Ego + Fear (Not Massive but when I face a problem that I am not able to think through - Eats up the time; Fear: What if the next problem is of the same difficulty level and I struggle again?).
3. Poor Comprehension a few times( Ex1: A farm has 60 animals, 2/3 of them are either pigs or cows. My Brain: Either there are 40 Pigs or 40 Cows; Hence there are 20 Cows or 20 Pigs.
Ex2: A phone call is charged 5$ for the first three minutes and 1$ every minute after three minutes. My Brain: The cost for first three minutes is 5*3 =
15$?????!!!!!!! **** you brain).
4. Silly Mistakes ( x+y, x-y ,x+5y,5x-y are the polynomials available find the probabilty that two polynomials chosen will result in x^2-(b)y^2 b is an integer.
1. Total ways to choose two polynomials - 4C2 = 6.
2. Total possible polynomials are x+y, x-y - 2???????? - **** you (1 Pair) = 1 so the probability is 1/6 not 1/3.)

Any questions/ Suggestions are welcome. Please help me out in this.

Then I took a mock test by Economist -- Scored 51.

Hi sriramsundaram91,

I believe the following post might help.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... 09801.html

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 03:05
Hi sriramsundaram91,

I find that almost every day I have conversations with students wishing to improve from a Q49 to a Q50+ GMAT quant score. Looking at your current situation, what I see holding you back is that you make a multitude of careless errors, right? So, the real question you should ask is WHY you are making silly mistakes on practice questions. The reality is that there are a multitude of possible reasons, from not reading carefully to writing sloppily to making mental math mistakes. It’s also entirely possible that your careless errors are due, in some part, to a relative lack of GMAT quant knowledge in certain areas. You’ve already mentioned Geometry and Inequalities, but I’d bet there are even more! After all, on any GMAT, you must answer difficult and convoluted math questions in a timed and pressure-filled environment, so if you don’t know GMAT quant like the back of your hand, careless errors are likely, right? Take the following example:

14! is equal to which of the following?

(A) 87,178,291,200
(B) 88,180,293,207
(C) 89,181,294,209
(D) 90,000,000,003
(E) 91,114,114,114

Upon seeing this question, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Grabbing a calculator to add up the values in the expression? If you are able to quickly recognize that using the “5 x 2 pair rule” will allow you to efficiently attack the problem (see the solution below), the question becomes very basic, and you can avoid having to perform tedious calculations that are likely to result in a silly mistake.

Solution:

Notice that there is at least one (5 × 2) pair contained in the product of these numbers. It follows that the units digit must be a zero. The only number with zero as the units digit is 87,178,291,200.

Answer: A

This is just one example, but hopefully you can see that by a) recognizing what the question is asking and b) properly attacking the question, your propensity to make a silly mistake greatly decreases.

On another note, based on what you are saying, I get the impression that there are also psychological factors that are affecting your performance, and one key thing that you could do to address all of those factors is to change the way you respond when you make errors. At the moment, when you make a mistake, you curse out your brain or yourself. That response is not very positive and won’t be motivational. Instead, you exacerbate your nervousness and become fearful, and your ego becomes an issue, just as it would if someone else were cursing you out every time you made a mistake. Of course, this dynamic contributes to your making the types of errors that you describe.

So, what can you do differently? You can train yourself to be a better coach to yourself. You can learn to respond in more positive, motivating ways. Rather than cursing yourself out or blaming your brain when you make a mistake, simply tell yourself to be more careful next time. If you start to become fearful, tell yourself to take a deep breath and concentrate on attacking each question as well as you can. By being a better coach to yourself, you can improve your performance. In fact, making this one change could be enough to get you from Q49 to Q51, but even if it’s not, it certainly will help A LOT. If you combine this change in approach with some additional work on your weaker quant areas, you are almost certain to lock in a Q50+ score.

You may find it helpful to read about all of this in further detail in my article about improving your accuracy on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 03:25
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi sriramsundaram91,

I find that almost every day I have conversations with students wishing to improve from a Q49 to a Q50+ GMAT quant score. Looking at your current situation, what I see holding you back is that you make a multitude of careless errors, right? So, the real question you should ask is WHY you are making silly mistakes on practice questions. The reality is that there are a multitude of possible reasons, from not reading carefully to writing sloppily to making mental math mistakes. It’s also entirely possible that your careless errors are due, in some part, to a relative lack of GMAT quant knowledge in certain areas. You’ve already mentioned Geometry and Inequalities, but I’d bet there are even more! After all, on any GMAT, you must answer difficult and convoluted math questions in a timed and pressure-filled environment, so if you don’t know GMAT quant like the back of your hand, careless errors are likely, right? Take the following example:

(A) 87,178,291,200
(B) 88,180,293,207
(C) 89,181,294,209
(D) 90,000,000,003
(E) 91,114,114,114

Upon seeing this question, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Grabbing a calculator to add up the values in the expression? If you are able to quickly recognize that using the “5 x 2 pair rule” will allow you to efficiently attack the problem (see the solution below), the question becomes very basic, and you can avoid having to perform tedious calculations that are likely to result in a silly mistake.

Solution:

Notice that there is at least one (5 × 2) pair contained in the product of these numbers. It follows that the units digit must be a zero. The only number with zero as the units digit is 87,178,291,200.

This is just one example, but hopefully you can see that by a) recognizing what the question is asking and b) properly attacking the question, your propensity to make a silly mistake greatly decreases.

On another note, based on what you are saying, I get the impression that there are also psychological factors that are affecting your performance, and one key thing that you could do to address all of those factors is to change the way you respond when you make errors. At the moment, when you make a mistake, you curse out your brain or yourself. That response is not very positive and won’t be motivational. Instead, you exacerbate your nervousness and become fearful, and your ego becomes an issue, just as it would if someone else were cursing you out every time you made a mistake. Of course, this dynamic contributes to your making the types of errors that you describe.

So, what can you do differently? You can train yourself to be a better coach to yourself. You can learn to respond in more positive, motivating ways. Rather than cursing yourself out or blaming your brain when you make a mistake, simply tell yourself to be more careful next time. If you start to become fearful, tell yourself to take a deep breath and concentrate on attacking each question as well as you can. By being a better coach to yourself, you can improve your performance. In fact, making this one change could be enough to get you from Q49 to Q51, but even if it’s not, it certainly will help A LOT. If you combine this change in approach with some additional work on your weaker quant areas, you are almost certain to lock in a Q50+ score.

You may find it helpful to read about all of this in further detail in my article about improving your accuracy on the GMAT.

Good luck!

I really appreciate you for your patience. I can understand that in some cases where the students are in the range of 49-51 (the score is a mixed factor of mood, luck and recognition of the concepts at the right time). I could go for another 200 hours of preparation and might still end up getting 49Q. Now the question that arises is what guarantees a Q51, and the answer to that is "nothing". I am going to stay calm and change my approach. I will certainly spend more hours in Geometry and Inequalities. Spending hours in my weak areas of Quant is the first step, which is bleeding obvious. Yes, I did get the answer in 4 seconds to the 14! question(Seriously!). Most of the times it is the failure, to comprehend the question or skimming the question too fast, that makes me go nuts. The same question when I try to solve after the exam gets over without looking into the solution seems very easy to me, while I should also admit that there are some questions that stump me. Let me try the calm-meditative-positive approach for a week and get back to you.
P

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 17:11
I like your attitude! And yes, I agree that nothing guarantees a Q51 on test day, so you really need to put yourself in the best possible position for a chance at a Q51, right? So, let’s see what happens after you a) spend some time fixing your quant weaknesses and b) change your approach when reading/solving GMAT quant questions.

I’m here if you need me. Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 05:37
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi sriramsundaram91,

(A) 87,178,291,200
(B) 88,180,293,207
(C) 89,181,294,209
(D) 90,000,000,003
(E) 91,114,114,114

Solution:

Good luck!

I never got a chance to Thank you...

I have been reading your blogs and your articles.

I really love them .They are of immemse help..

Keep up the good work Scott and Jeff..

A million Kudos to you guys!!

Thanks again :) :)
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 15:51
My pleasure! Keep up the good work, my friend!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake &nbs [#permalink] 02 Nov 2018, 15:51

How to get to 51Q? Currently at 49Q - GMAT Prep 1 , GMAT Prep1 retake

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap