Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 16:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 16:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28583 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How to Improve my CR accuracy (verbal score in overall) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Henry,

What were your scores on your last few practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
What fraction of the SC, RC and CR questions are you getting correct?

While it certainly sounds like there are certain practice resources that you have enjoyed using, if they don't provide you with enough insight and practice to improve, then you will almost certainly have to invest in other resources. There's also the possibility that your Verbal skills are relatively strong, but that you're not properly handling the physical and psychological challenges that come with taking FULL-LENGTH Tests.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28583 [0]
Re: How to Improve my CR accuracy (verbal score in overall) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
henry12345 wrote:
Thank you Mike for responding,

I absolutely agree with what you said about CR.
GMAT clearly wants us to be able to make a sound argument which is really needed in business world
But it might become a disadvantage for since I might get used to make silly arguments in daily life (something like : A is the best footballer, since He has the most goals --> the argument clearly flawed, since most goals doesnt necessarily mean best footballer)

How can I then get used to more proper argument making in quite a short time? I read quite a bit, I enjoy reading and watching up to date news regarding many aspects but I think that still is not enough.

The tips you mention about trying to find the motivation of business leaders, political leaders when they are making arguments, is quite good. I watched the Democratic Presidential Debate the other day and already tried to find the motive behind their argument... Sometimes it is quite funny because most of the time, their arguments are not really air-tight, their arguments can be weaken considerably..

But in the end, this tip need a lot of training and exercises, Hence much time is needed, isnt it?

anyway, thank you for the tips and great articles

henry

Henry,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Unfortunately, I would not hold up modern American politicians as exemplars of logically sound expositors. When politicians are campaigning, everything out of their mouths is illogical drivel that should be avoided. In fact, anything that is so popular and so attention-getting that it is on the TV news is probably already so sensationalized as to be beyond all logic. The more buzz, the less substance.

If you read business news, you will find folks in the business world making somewhat more grounded arguments---not always, but often. The Economist magazine and Bloomberg Businessweek and the WSJ and the Financial Times are all good places to look.

I would also suggest: get an LSAT prep book. You can get one used: you don't need the most recent addition. Get one of those books, and find the section with arguments --- Logical Reasoning Questions. The LSAT LR questions are like very hard GMAT CR questions. Don't expect to get many right, but whether you get them right or wrong, study the explanations carefully. Leave to the lawyers to make super-solid arguments!

I realize you don't have a whole lot of time left, but you might even consider looking at a textbook on logic, or reading a summary, say, of what Aristotle had to say on the subject of logic. If you want a challenge, read through some arguments of Thomas Aquinas. There are plenty of very sophisticated arguments out there, but you have to go to more sophisticated sources.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
How to Improve my CR accuracy (verbal score in overall) [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
I would also suggest: get an LSAT prep book.

Do you have any specific suggestions? Are there Logical Reasoning-specific LSAT books? Or banks of old (but relevant) official LSAT logic questions?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28583 [2]
How to Improve my CR accuracy (verbal score in overall) [#permalink]
Kudos