GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to improve my score beyond 470?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
How to improve my score beyond 470?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 00:08
Dear experts,

So i started out my preparation almost a year ago..with Magoosh - mainly did math and went through the English video. I hadn't taken any mock up until this point.
But was randomly solving questions from magoosh. I consider myself ok is quant and didnt want worry too much. I was getting anxious about verbal as i was hitting a dead end. So after a long of research i bought egmat- verbal course. Did all the lessons religiously. Started solving questions from the scholararium. I could now feel that my basics has definitely improved..but was I still felt that i was lacking somewhere. But wanted to see how i do in a mock so ended up taking the test.

Then came the big day..Novth 18 -.Gmat Prep 1--- 370 Q21 V20..I was shattered.
After this attempt i returned to basics..i ended doing Mgmat books..as I just wanted to brush up all the basics and didnt want to spend time going through videos lessons.

Mock 2(veritas) on December 18th - 480 Q34 V 23
Reviewed all mistakes and practiced quant from the club

Mock 3(veritas) on December 26th - 520 Q38 V24
Practiced verbal and quant equally (more focus on algebra and arithmetic)

Mock 4(veritas) on 3rd January - 470 Q28 V27
My sources for math has been magoosh, mgmat books and gmatclub for practice. I got alot of question on time and distance and time and work and i am not comfortable with it. Verbal i know that consistent practice i will be able to touch 32-33. I anxious about quant now..:( I study through out the day with timely breaks but I am msotly at it.

I dont know where to begin my preparation from now..
I have a deadline on 10th Feb so would want to ideally take my mock with 5th Feb.

I am definitely dejected with my score but not giving up..and willing to do anything to reach my target of 700.

Please help me!Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance!
S
e-GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: How to improve my score beyond 470?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 13:44
Hi Siri,

You made some really nice progress so far (improving a 370 to a 520 is a significant achievement), but a February 5th Test Date gives you less than 5 weeks of potential study time. Unfortunately, raising a 470 to a 700+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) About a year ago, you mentioned that you were interested in applying to ISB and the IIMs. Is that still the case?
2) What are the application deadlines for each of the Schools that you're interested in (and what are the next application deadlines after the upcoming ones?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 22:00
Hi Rich,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes my goal is still to apply to IIMs and ISB.

But as you might know that I will have to skip applying to ISB round 2 as the deadline is on 15th.
My next deadline is for IIM B, which is on 10 Feb. So the required score for this program is any where above 630. Will i be able to reach this in 5 weeks?
Then this is followed by IIM A, which opens in April. So you see I have a host of colleges I want to apply to..but all the other college require a score of atleast 650 and above.

Also i am studying full time - about 10 to 12 hours.

I see consistent improvement in Verbal except RC but quant has been baffling me. I don't understand where i am lacking.

An suggestions would be of great great help.

Thanks for writing back once again.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Siri
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 16:16
Hi Siri,

To score in the 'competitive range' for the Schools that you listed, you're almost certainly going to need at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. Thus, application deadlines in late March or April are more realistic options compared to the deadlines you named in February.

When you mentioned studying "10 to 12 hours", are you studying that much each week or each DAY? I ask because that is far too much work to be putting in on a daily basis - and it greatly increases your chances for 'burn out' (which is something that you want to avoid). If you've been trying to 'cram' in too much study time, then that might help to explain why your last CAT score dipped a bit.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to improve my score beyond 470? &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jan 2018, 16:16

How to improve my score beyond 470?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap