It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve verbal to 45 (2 more weeks to go)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
How to improve verbal to 45 (2 more weeks to go) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 16:50
Hello,

I am in the final stretch of my GMAT study, with my test coming up on Feb. 17. I have two full weeks and the last week to brush up and relax to be in good shape. While my studying for the past 3 months has been a roller coaster, I am finally on the verge of getting a respectable score. I scored 660 this past weekend with 47Q, 34V. I still have a lot of space to improve with my goal of 50Q, 45V. For math I more or less know what to do, but with Verbal I still can't crack it. I improved on V from 28 to 31 to 34 in 2 weeks. I got 10 wrong on the last CAT : 6/11 CR, 12/13 RC, 13/17 SC. I would imagine that my score should be higher since I felt great during the exam and destroyed RC, but still got a mere 34 ( I got #1, and #7-9 wrong). My biggest problem is CR. I get about 70% on OG Medium questions, and 40-60% OG hard questions, but I can choke on exam questions pretty easily. What can be done in the last 2 weeks? I was told to buy the CR bible but I already have the MGMAT CR and I don't find CR tips very useful in general. What does it take to get a 45 on Verbal. I know that I can do well on RC, SC 3-4 wrong depending on what I get, but CR is super unpredictable which makes me mess up the rest of the score. Does anyone know of any sets that I can do besides the OG questions (I see people posting them online sometimes). Thank you for the help.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: How to improve verbal to 45 (2 more weeks to go) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
KillerGMAT wrote:
Hello,

I am in the final stretch of my GMAT study, with my test coming up on Feb. 17. I have two full weeks and the last week to brush up and relax to be in good shape. While my studying for the past 3 months has been a roller coaster, I am finally on the verge of getting a respectable score. I scored 660 this past weekend with 47Q, 34V. I still have a lot of space to improve with my goal of 50Q, 45V. For math I more or less know what to do, but with Verbal I still can't crack it. I improved on V from 28 to 31 to 34 in 2 weeks. I got 10 wrong on the last CAT : 6/11 CR, 12/13 RC, 13/17 SC. I would imagine that my score should be higher since I felt great during the exam and destroyed RC, but still got a mere 34 ( I got #1, and #7-9 wrong). My biggest problem is CR. I get about 70% on OG Medium questions, and 40-60% OG hard questions, but I can choke on exam questions pretty easily. What can be done in the last 2 weeks? I was told to buy the CR bible but I already have the MGMAT CR and I don't find CR tips very useful in general. What does it take to get a 45 on Verbal. I know that I can do well on RC, SC 3-4 wrong depending on what I get, but CR is super unpredictable which makes me mess up the rest of the score. Does anyone know of any sets that I can do besides the OG questions (I see people posting them online sometimes). Thank you for the help.

Long, timed practice sets. Do some sets of just a single Verbal problem type (just SC or just CR). Do other sets of all three problem types mixed. Every time you do a set, take a break for a few minutes, then come back and review it in detail.

Reviewing means NOT just reading the explanation - it means trying to figure it out on your own as best you can first. Then, once you have an answer (even if you have to use the explanation as a hint), take notes. Generalize! A good way to make yourself take good notes about Verbal problems is to ask yourself two questions, every time you get one wrong:

1. "Why didn't the right answer look right to me immediately?"

2. "Why did the wrong answer look good? Why didn't I want to eliminate it?"

If you can correctly answer those two questions, then you just learned two new things. One, you learned something new about what makes right answers right. Two, you learned something that doesn't make an answer right. Every time you do that, you're equipping yourself to answer more questions right in the future.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: How to improve verbal to 45 (2 more weeks to go) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 16:40
Thank you for the reply. I have been doing that for months now, just for CR I still don't quite "get it". I am trying to do 700-800 questions in sets of 15 and really understanding why I'm getting answers wrong. I figured out that I don't understand what the passage or the answer is fully saying, especially under the pressure of time. With RC I can read a paragraph and have a general idea, but since CR is short it bothers me a lot more. So my strategy is to take a longer time to read it once, but to fully grasp what's being said.

As far as talking about practice tests, what do you think about taking multple CAT's a week and half before the test (Including a full test once a week)? After this week I plan on just doing separate CAT 1 Quant (with review+break) and 1 Verbal (with review) for about 10 days in a row to push it to the next level. I have noticed that as I switch from Q to V or from SC to CR, I constantly get worse at one thing and better at the other. Just thought that doing test on test for the last 10 days or so will make me remember everything for the test. I know a burnout is possible but I have been burnt out for the past 4 months and still doing 80-100 work/study weeks. I plan to just take 2 days off before my test and then go for the kill? Is this going overboard?
Re: How to improve verbal to 45 (2 more weeks to go)   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 16:40

How to improve verbal to 45 (2 more weeks to go)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap