GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPOKEN ENGLISH WITHOUT A SPEAKING PARTNER

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPOKEN ENGLISH WITHOUT A SPEAKING PARTNER  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 23:38
This is a very good question that I get from my students all the time. Improving spoken English without a speaking partner is very difficult. Even though

there are many ways of doing it as others have mentioned.

You need to understand here that you need to use English to improve it and to maintain your proficiency. It's not practical when you don't have anyone to

speak in English with. You can't possible keep studying it forever. Many people think that if my English gets better once then I will create an environment

of people around me who speak in English. When students start learning English with that mindset, in most of the cases they give up after a few days before

reaching their goal and then as they have none to practice what they have learnt they again go back to square one.

It's also not recommended by me to rely just on a speaking parter or partners to improve in English. You need to balance it out. You can do your own self

study and at the same time try to meet and speak with people in English as much as possible.

So, instead of finding out on how to improve spoken English without a partner. I think it will help you more if you can do some research on how to find

people to speak in English with. In fact, a lot of people join English classes for the same purpose so that they can find other English learners to speak in

English with. These days there are online and offline courses which you can join.
Intern
Intern
Re: HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPOKEN ENGLISH WITHOUT A SPEAKING PARTNER  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 13:18
Such an interesting topic! There are hundreds and even more ways to improve your speaking skills without speaking partner. Especially now, at the time of Internet and Technologies. Now about the most powerful strategies. The first one is watching films in English. There could be different accents, dialects and so on. But it isn't so bad, is it? In addition, you could listen to audio books in English instead of reading. Reading is good as well, but if you listen to you could learn more about spelling. Another good way is to learn different texts, poems, citations and to retell them out loud. Reading out loud is also very helpful. But finding a speaking partner is not a big deal, there are some sites which provides with such opportunity. Check out also materials from Memrise if you are interested, there you could find a lot of vocabulary.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 14:05
Good advice from everyone above. Also, you could always try calling customer service for a company, and then ask to find out more about what types of products/services the company provides. This is free English conversation practice for you.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 15:04
One method that I apply is to talk to myself. I imagine that I start a conversation with a friend on a topic. Then I just talk about that topic in my head, then turn to the turn of that friend to discuss/refute or whatever. And just that, our conversation flows till I don’t know what to say more. My aim is to be able to think in English, to response in English without translating from my first language to English. I talk to myself in English almost everyday, when I do chores. This habit builds me up with confidence.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:33
Analyse yourself by speaking in front of the mirror, speak yourself and record your voice and listen identify the errors and work on it also follow the above comments .

Thanks
Re: HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPOKEN ENGLISH WITHOUT A SPEAKING PARTNER &nbs [#permalink] 26 Apr 2018, 01:33

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPOKEN ENGLISH WITHOUT A SPEAKING PARTNER

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap