Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: How to incorporate unique background into essays and apps? [#permalink]
mooze wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
mooze wrote:
I have a bit of a unique background in that I come from a war torn sub saharan African country. I'm just wondering if I should bother incorporating this into my applications and if so how much? I can't get a handle on how those types of factors affect MBA applications. I know law schools eat that stuff up. The reason why I ask is because the guided essay questions are pretty restrictive and I don't want to stray too far from the topic.

Maybe it's something you want to discuss in the optional essay. It really depends on how where you are from has shaped you. Were you significantly affected by the conflict? I think an adcom can smell posturing from a mile away so being from a wartorn country in and of itself isn't going to make you unique if you were simply born there were shielded from the violence while you went to private schools abroad. If you lived in the midst of the conflict that's a completely different story. While you don't want to tell a sob story you can definitely splice your background throughout your essays if it helps explain why you've taken the path you have thus far and why you want to pursue your future goals.

Thanks. Yeah in that case I won't bother to incorporate it too much. I wonder if it helps outside the essay in the general application. I believe there is a minority boost for law schools.

You would definitely be considered an underrepresented minority even though you are not from the US. Where are you from, anyways? I was born here but my family is from Cameroon. While I wouldn't say that there is a "minority boost," I will say that schools value diversity and are seeking to increase the minority representation. However, this doesn't mean that checking the box gives you an automatic in. You're still up against stiff competition. Have you thought about applying through the Consortium?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Can't you just bring this up when introducing the setting/background for a leadership or teamwork story within one of your essays?

I would think that a couple sentences that incorporate the unique setting that you're in would quickly grab the reader's attention.

So instead of just saying that you led a team to do XYZ, you should also explain the war torn environment that you were in and what effect it had on that situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Kudos
MDF wrote:
Can't you just bring this up when introducing the setting/background for a leadership or teamwork story within one of your essays?

I would think that a couple sentences that incorporate the unique setting that you're in would quickly grab the reader's attention.

So instead of just saying that you led a team to do XYZ, you should also explain the war torn environment that you were in and what effect it had on that situation.

Dig really deep to understand whether (and how) growing up in a war-torn environment has shaped your character and personality.

I grew up in the inner city where there were lots of gangs, drugs, and poverty. I spent most of my life unconscious of how that shaped my character. It really wasn't until I started reflecting on that period of my development (in high school and college) that I realized most of my personality can be attributed to what I experienced.

One of the main benefits of the MBA application, whether you get in to a place you want to attend or not, is the opportunity to reflect. Do yourself a favor and dig really deep to explore your personality, your character, and your motivations to understand yourself. Reflection is not something people are normally in the habit of doing - take advantage of this opportunity.
GMAT Club Bot