GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

How to overcome initial frustration due to struggles?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5
How to overcome initial frustration due to struggles?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 13:18
I just recently started studying for the GMAT again and I'm wondering how any of you overcame those initial internal struggles or emotional discourage when preparing for Quant?

Its frustrating me because as I prepare for Verbal, I'm doing much better and answering questions with a much higher accuracy rate . I'm still going through Book#1 in MGMAT (FDP), but I'm already noticing severe weaknesses (such as DS problem solving skills). I know I just started, but was anyone else in a similar position? How did you mentally focus on improving and not letting your initial struggles bog you down or discourage you?
Orion Director of Academics
S
Re: How to overcome initial frustration due to struggles?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:20
I've seen a lot of students start in your position. It definitely can be pretty frustrating, but don't get discouraged. Take it one lesson at a time. Your score may not go up immediately (in fact, once you start to use some strategies and implement some new content, sometimes your score can dip just a little bit for a test before it goes up), but it will go up.

Make sure you're interacting with the book you're using - and not just by doing practice problems. If there's something you don't get, make sure that you are taking the time to stop and look it up. It will take time, but it is worth your time to do this because it will save you time later.

Don't try to cram in a ton of new ideas in one sitting. Pick a couple to focus on and practice them. Make sure that you're noting any errors in your error log (not just that you got it wrong, but WHY you got it wrong too).

And as you take your first practice tests - remember that because the GMAT is adaptive, it's going to feel hard no matter what. If you're getting hard problems, smile - you deserve it! You're doing well.

Just remember: Take it one step at a time, don't overwhelm yourself with too much content at once (practice new skills before you move on instead of trying to speed through a bunch of content!), and remember that this test is designed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, then businesses schools wouldn't care what you got on it!

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
B
How to overcome initial frustration due to struggles?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:41
Man, I can so relate.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 07:42
I am currently facing the same situation as well. It felt as if you are fighting the same war again with the same outcome. Personally, I have done other types of content-related examinations before and the more time you spent, the better the outcome. However, it does not happen for GMAT.

If you are person who has low confident for a certain topic, it starts to manifest to develop a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you are a person who is relatively over-confident, you might be led to believe that what you understand is correct, and doubt that the correct answer testing a particular arcane looking concept might be an one-off thing - especially in the verbal section. Not sure if what i analyzed is 100% correct, but the latter is the gut feeling that I am feeling when I read some of the answers to GMAT questions.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 11:31
Blazethrough14 wrote:
I just recently started studying for the GMAT again and I'm wondering how any of you overcame those initial internal struggles or emotional discourage when preparing for Quant?

Its frustrating me because as I prepare for Verbal, I'm doing much better and answering questions with a much higher accuracy rate . I'm still going through Book#1 in MGMAT (FDP), but I'm already noticing severe weaknesses (such as DS problem solving skills). I know I just started, but was anyone else in a similar position? How did you mentally focus on improving and not letting your initial struggles bog you down or discourage you?

I think that you should consider starting with the MPrep Foundations of Math strategy guide instead of working through the books one by one. You'll get more out of the other Quant strategy guides if you have a solid foundation in the math basics (and if you do Foundations of Math later on, you'll probably wish you'd started there.) I'm not totally sure, since I don't know what level you're at in Quant - but regardless of your level, if you're feeling demoralized, Foundations of Math can also be a good confidence booster. :)

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to overcome initial frustration due to struggles? &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 11:31

How to overcome initial frustration due to struggles?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap