GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 15:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

How to practice CR and RC questions?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
How to practice CR and RC questions?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 02:20
Hello Everyone!
I want to ask a really important question.
In SC i know how to learn from mistakes by practicing question but in CR and RC i don't know how to improve your score by practicing other than just knowing types of question like inference, strengthen etc and ways to solve these question.
Can anyone shed some light on this confusion that how to learn and improve your CR and RC ability by practicing questions? Isn't it just like practicing to read?
Thank You!

Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: How to practice CR and RC questions?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 17:29
Hi HasnainAfxal,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, YES, the ability to understand what you read is an important part of improving your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension skills; however, improving your skills in those topics involves more than just doing questions and analyzing your mistakes. There are many concepts you must learn on the front end to be successful when answering Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning questions, and strategies to learn such as identifying conclusions in Critical Reasoning arguments and referring back to Reading Comprehension passages. If you’d like further advice regarding how to study for those sections, feel free to reach back out.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 17:37
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi HasnainAfxal,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, YES, the ability to understand what you read is an important part of improving your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension skills; however, improving your skills in those topics involves more than just doing questions and analyzing your mistakes. There are many concepts you must learn on the front end to be successful when answering Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning questions, and strategies to learn such as identifying conclusions in Critical Reasoning arguments and referring back to Reading Comprehension passages. If you’d like further advice regarding how to study for those sections, feel free to reach back out.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Thank you so much for reply. I really appreciate :)
I still have confusion that how can i improve in CR and RC by practicing just like i do in SC. In SC i know i have to learn a lot of grammer rupes, meaning and all that but when it comes to CR and RC i feel like i am not improving anymore. After attempting about 10 questions in SC i can say i learnt something but in RC and CR after attempting seceral questions i am not sure whether i learn i something or not other than just reading another passage.
I would really appreciate your further help in this regard.
Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

P

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 08:35
Hi HasainAfxal,

Thank you for the reply. So, as previously mentioned, improving your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension skills takes more than JUST practicing questions and reviewing answers, right? Let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each question type, do focused practice so you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and thereby comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect Reading Comprehension answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be easy to read. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Please keep me updated and feel free to reach out with further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

P

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 08:36
Hi HasnainAfxal,

I see that we’re communicating on two different threads. I actually responded to you in detail here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-pract ... l#p2149156

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 20:00
Hi HasainAfxal,

Thank you for the reply. So, as previously mentioned, improving your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension skills takes more than JUST practicing questions and reviewing answers, right? Let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each question type, do focused practice so you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and thereby comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect Reading Comprehension answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be easy to read. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Please keep me updated and feel free to reach out with further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Hey!
I really appreciate your effort to take some time and respond to my queries :)
I will surely apply these powerful pieces of advice and strategies to master CR and RC.
Thank You!

P

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 18:10
My pleasure! I’m always happy to help, so please keep me updated.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 18:20
My pleasure! I’m always happy to help, so please keep me updated.

Let’s do this!!

I am working on what u advised me and will take another CAT in a few days. Then i will update score accordingly.

Posted from my mobile device

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to practice CR and RC questions?   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 18:20

How to practice CR and RC questions?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap