GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to reach 650 from 470 !! Really disappointed with scores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
How to reach 650 from 470 !! Really disappointed with scores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 15:16
I gave my gmat and i secured only 470 (Q40 V 15) after preparing for 2 months !!
I practiced mostly from GMAT club and gave my classes mocks and 2 GMAT PREPS in which i got 450 (Q 33 V16) and 530 (Q44 and V 21) respectively.
I am really disappointed with scores after all hard work and time i put into GMAT please suggest me the way to reach 650.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: How to reach 650 from 470 !! Really disappointed with scores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 12:54
Hi amalganatra,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to have scored higher yet. Since your score goal is 650+, and you never scored higher than 530 on a practice CAT, there's some question as to why you did not push back your Exam. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 14:00
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi amalganatra,

Hello i have answered the following questions below.

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to have scored higher yet. Since your score goal is 650+, and you never scored higher than 530 on a practice CAT, there's some question as to why you did not push back your Exam. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
I have referred classes notes for quants and verbals
Solved GMAT OG 2018 but not seriously as i wasn’t aware of proper approach towards verbals.
Referred Manhattan foundation for SC
Power score bible for CR
Practiced regularly SC CR on gmat club almost 50-100 questions a day
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I was initially planning for fall 2018 but since my scores aren’t suitable, I have shifted to fall 2019
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
University of San Diego
University of California San Diego
Rutgers business school
University of San Francisco

4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
I can study 40-50 hours a week

Rich
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 15:14
Hi amalganatra,

From what you've described, it certainly sounds as though you worked through lots of practice questions - but it's not clear if you were committed to learning and practicing the proper Tactics. Raising a 470 to a 650+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. You would likely benefit a great deal from investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Studying 40-50 hours each week is probably too much studying; by putting in that much work every week, you would likely increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day - and that is something that you want to avoid. Since you've shifted your application plans, you have plenty of time to study - which is good. At this point, it's a matter of how you want to proceed. You can certainly study as you choose or you could commit to a more focused, structured Study Plan that emphasizes the exact skills you'll need to develop to hit your Score Goal.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 13:07
amalganatra – Given your mock test scores, you actual GMAT score is not a surprise at all. In fact, your performance has been quite consistent. Having said that, I agree with Rich that to improve to 650 or higher, you need to be committed to learning. Just practicing will not get you there.

Here is the success story of a guy who improved from 510 to 710.

https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/lb4y2cuiex

Listen to this to learn how his focus on learning enables him to improve. He graduated from ISB some time back and has an enviable career.

-Rajat

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: How to reach 650 from 470 !! Really disappointed with scores   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 13:07

How to reach 650 from 470 !! Really disappointed with scores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap