GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to score over 700 with books and little money

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
How to score over 700 with books and little money  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 18:38
I know from several posts that a book heavy approach wont get me to 700+. But I also cant afford the in person or online courses. I could probably swing for Magoosh self-study ( which is a bunch of video lessons and Q's) Would the mix of books (OG and Manhattan Quant and Verbal) and a Magoosh premium be balanced enough to get me to 700+? If not what are other cheap options to get there?
Magoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 02:36
Kenzie243 wrote:
I know from several posts that a book heavy approach wont get me to 700+. But I also cant afford the in person or online courses. I could probably swing for Magoosh self-study ( which is a bunch of video lessons and Q's) Would the mix of books (OG and Manhattan Quant and Verbal) and a Magoosh premium be balanced enough to get me to 700+? If not what are other cheap options to get there?

Hi Kenzie243

Welcome to world of GMAT prep :thumbup:

That book heavy approach would not get you 700+ is not necessary true.

Of course you can get that only by studying books and books only, everybody are different and start from various different backgrounds and with better or less better foundations in topics tested on GMAT.

Also, people start to prep in different times of their life, most distinctive comparison is immediately after graduation, where some topics would be relatively fresh (especially math, from high school or college) versus long time working individuals who would need to brush up more or less from start, being of the school for several years, sometimes even decades.

Furthermore, everybody could have slightly different learning styles, for instance book vs. online courses/videos or combination of both, that works best for them.

There are people who cannot learn from videos also, just from paper books, because they used to that.

So there is not one magic formula that works for all.

You will need to find your own, I guess you already know yourself in that sense pretty well.

Regarding costs, the ones you mentioned are cheapest option that I know, Magoosh being cheapest on the market that I know.

On the other hand, quality of Magoosh can be questionable, but if you just start from the scratch it will serve you well in covering basics.

That being said, I dont think you even need Magoosh premium, OG books with Manhattan are enough, but if you want those Magoosh videos go for it.

I am familiar with their product.

If you decide to go with them, you will have also study plans tailored for your needs, level of proficiency and time frame, which is useful.

However, their questions are not GMAT like in style, but that is true for any third party prep company, just I think that Manhattan questions are better comparing to Magoosh.

You should buy Manhattan 6 CAT practice tests, that something that even Magoosh study plan will suggest.

Also, if you need extra practice GMAT Club practice test are way to go.

With all that materials mentioned above, or just basic ones like OG+ Manhattan is absolutely possible to get even 750, not just 700+, so don't worry about that.

Then again, if you decide at some point that you need online course, read here reviews and just choose wisely :)

Magoosh is cheapest, there is no question about that.

Manhattan, Veritas and Target Test Prep may be the best ones.

If money is not issue for you, I definitely suggest to you to buy any of those before Magoosh. :cool:

Hope this all helps you to decide and start prep !

Just dive in, and along the way you will know do you need to fine tune your prep or not. :fingers_crossed:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 22:10
Hi Kenzie243

to start read this to get a general idea of how you should approach this test: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... 80727.html

the best way to spend less for prep is making extensive use of gmatclub...

study guides
1.Powerscore for CR

2.Manhattan guide for SC

3.Manhattan guides for Quant - (you can also use gmatclub's quant guide if you're already good at quant-it's free of cost) other Manhattan guides will really help you brush up your quant skills in case they're rusty

4.For RC, you can look up the many RC strategies mentioned on gmatclub and use which suits you best, you will eventually develop your own strategy after solving a good number of passages.

5. Stick to official questions in the beginning of your prep, solve every OG question(don't forget the ones in the diagnostic section) and log all these questions on gmatclub right or wrong...

6.keep revisiting strategy guides

practice:
1. solve all OG questions using the GMATclub guide excel and mark the answers on gmatclub ...that way you get an error log that you can access easily without taking any extra effort.

2.thoroughly review all questions you solved incorrectly. make a note of sub-question types you keep solving incorrectly...eg weaken questions from CR, parallelism/verb tense errors in SC, mixture problems in quant, etc

3.take a gmatprep CAT to see where you stand, before that read this to understand basic testing strategy: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-test-ta ... l#p1279282

4.read the following post to understand how to review CATs-https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-review-and-analyze-your-mistakes-167118.html

5.review concepts that need your attention, solve practice question from the forum- read answer explanations by experts...try to solve questions non og... OG you need to score an 85-90%+ on all 600-700 level questions...on the test, if you don't get these questions right, you will never qualify for 700 level questions...
solve questions using the forum question banks - https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
at this point you should solve questions with the highest kudos and thoroughly read answer explanations...
og questions are good for a start, but the actual exam will present you with questions that are way complex.

6.whether you should buy magoosh or stick to paper based study guides should be your call, do you learn better using paper based guides or web based(audio-visual) guides? If you are okay with paper based tests then don't buy magoosh and use that money to buy gmatclub tests for quant, they are the best and verbal online from egmat particularly for scholarinium---both will track your progress and let you know your strengths and weaknesses at the subtopic level---however buying this depends on how far you are from your target score...if you really need help then it will be a worthy investment...

7.Buy Manhattan CATs they are the best CATs to use for practice after you exhaust the official ones...

lastly if you want to save more, help people on gmatclub and earn points and kudos, you can redeem those here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rewards-dash ... ge=rewards

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

How to score over 700 with books and little money &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jul 2018, 22:10

How to score over 700 with books and little money

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap