GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 07:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to test cases for specific questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
How to test cases for specific questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 13:53
Hi there -

I've been told to practice to test cases for specific Data Sufficiency questions. However, I have no idea how to set up the problems with multiple variables. Here are some examples.

OG2017 - DS327

If x is a positive integer, what is the value of Square root of (x + 24) - Square root of (x)?

1. Square root of (x) is an integer
2. Square root of (x + 24) is an integer

OG2017 - DS365

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greate rthan the 2-height of m?

1. k > m
2. k/m is an integer

I am hoping the experts here can help me figure this out whole "testing cases" strategy.
Intern
Intern
B
How to test cases for specific questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 16:42
Cases can be made based on the option given in question

1. It says that SQ root of X is an integer which means it can be 1, 4, 9.....Since it has multiple option/cases, we cannot consider this option

now 2.

Its says SQ Root of X-24 is also an integer. Now add a number in 24 which makes the TOTAL a perfect quare. You will have to do some mental calc on this or you can write down each square like 2, 4, 9, 16.... and add 24 and see if the total is also a perfect SQ.

1+ 24 will be 25, SQ of 25 is 5
1 + 25 will be 49, SQ of 49 is 7

Again two different answers. If we add 1&2 again both has two options, 1 and 5, and therefore, both options are insuf and answer should be E.

If you liked it, gv me a kudos

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
examPAL Representative
S
Re: How to test cases for specific questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 02:44
toshpoint0 wrote:
Hi there -

I've been told to practice to test cases for specific Data Sufficiency questions. However, I have no idea how to set up the problems with multiple variables. Here are some examples.

OG2017 - DS327

If x is a positive integer, what is the value of Square root of (x + 24) - Square root of (x)?

OG2017 - DS365

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?

1. k > m
2. k/m is an integer

I am hoping the experts here can help me figure this out whole "testing cases" strategy.

Testing cases / picking numbers is one of the more important skills you need to learn to master the GMAT.
There isn't a very large difference between multiple variables and single variables; only that at 3+ variables it is usually easier to just solve the question.

There 2 main ways to pick numbers:

Option 1: Flat out guess - this requires very little thought; just 'plug and chug'.
1. Pick a random number, see how it works.
2. Try to challenge the result of (1) by picking a different number.

For example, let's look at your first question:
In (1) you could guess x =1 and see that sqrt(x+24) - sqrt(x) = 5 - 1 = 4
Then you would challenge this by trying to find a different x that gives a different result, for example x = 4.
For (2) it's a bit harder to guess: you would need to say, 'let's guess that sqrt(x+24) = 5 and then solve this to get x = 1'
Then you could challenge this with 'let's guess that sqrt(x+24) = 6 and solve to get x=12.
Since you've succesfully challenged both results, neither is sufficient
Testing the combination by guesswork essentially amounts to checking values of x that fulfill (1):
x = 1 works in both equations; then next square is x = 4 which doesn't work; then x=9,16 which don't work and finally x=25 which does.
So you would mark (E).

Option 2: Try 'sophisticated guessing'; this requires some thought but can prevent missing cases.
1. Pick a 'likely number', for example something at the edge of your range or a known 'probelmatic number' like 0 or a negative
2. Try to infer a trend based on the result of (1). Use this trend to see if you can challenge the result.

For example, in your second question this would look as follows:
(1) The question asks about powers of 2 so let's guess that k = 2m. In numbers, if m = 1 then k = 2. In this case the 2-height of m is 0 and that of k is 1. If we choose a different factor of 2, say 4 then m=1 and k=4 and the 2-height of m is 0 and k is 2. The 'trend' in this case is that multiplying the factor by a power of 2 increases the 2-height. So we'll challenge this by trying to multiply by something that isn't a power of 2, say 3. So m = 1, k = 3 and they both have the same 2-height, 0.
(2) We'll do the same as above - say m=k=1 giving them the same 2-height. Since the question asks about powers of 2 we'll try a factor of 2, say m=1,k=2 and get different 2-heights.
Combined: By now we should have realized that factors of 2 and of 3 give different results. So we can test m = 1, k=2 and m=1,k=3 which fulfill both criteria but give different results. Therefore we mark (E)

In summary, the bottom line for testing numbers is to pick a number and then try to challenge your result with another number. You can do this with some thinking or just by flat-out guessing.

Hope that helps!

David
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
We won some awards:
Join our next webinar (free)
Save up to $250 on examPAL packages (special for GMAT Club members)

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: How to test cases for specific questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 08:10
toshpoint0 wrote:
Hi there -

OG2017 - DS327

OG2017 - DS365

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greate rthan the 2-height of m?

1. k > m
2. k/m is an integer

First question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-x-is-a-po ... 20428.html
Second question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-any-posi ... 07706.html

Number plugging:

How to Do Math on the GMAT Without Actually Doing Math
The Power of Estimation for GMAT Quant
How to Plug in Numbers on GMAT Math Questions
Number Sense for the GMAT
Can You Use a Calculator on the GMAT?
Why Approximate?
GMAT Math Strategies — Estimation, Rounding and other Shortcuts
The 4 Math Strategies Everyone Must Master, Part 1 (1. Test Cases and 2. Choose Smart Numbers.)
The 4 Math Strategies Everyone Must Master, part 2 (3. Work Backwards and 4. Estimate)
Intelligent Guessing on GMAT
How to Avoid Tedious Calculations on the Quantitative Section of the GMAT
GMAT Tip of the Week: No Calculator? No Problem.
The Importance of Sorting Answer Choices on the GMAT

For more check Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: How to test cases for specific questions   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2018, 08:10

How to test cases for specific questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap