It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133160 [2], given: 12415

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:37) correct 48% (01:54) wrong based on 794 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?

(1) k > m
(2) k/m is an even integer.

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 133160 [2], given: 12415

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 325

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.25
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
I think the answer is A.

I could derive a equation from the given information as

{2^(2K) / K} > {2^(2M) / M}...? ( Not Sure )

Statement 1- K>M, Now substituting values according to this will keep the stem true.

Hence Sufficient.

Statement 2- Not sufficient.

Hope my approach is fine.

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 325

Expert Post
39 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17871 [39], given: 235

Re: For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?

(1) k > m
(2) m/k is an even integer.

In simple words, 2-height is just the number of 2s in a positive integer x.

So if x = 40, its 2-height will be 3 because 40 = 8*5 = 2*2*2*5
If x = 15, its 2-height is 0 because there are no 2s in 15.
and so on.

So, an even number will have a 2-height of at least 1.
An odd number will have a 2-height of 0.

"is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?" means "Does k have more 2s than m?"

(1) k > m
k could have more 2s than m or it could have fewer 2s than m.
For example, if k = 4 and m = 3, k has two 2s while m has none.
If k = 11 and m = 8, k has no 2s while m has 3.
Not sufficient.

When m is divided by k, you get an integer. So m has all factors of k and they get cancelled out and you are left with an integer. Also, the leftover integer is even so m has at least one 2 more than k.
So 2-height of m is certainly more than the 2-height of k. So we can answer the question that k does not have more 2s than m.

Answer (B)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17871 [39], given: 235

5 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 49 [5], given: 3385

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
Although Karishma's approach (as always) is spot on and is an optimal way to solve such questions as it directly simplifies the layer of complexity in a logical way, when I attempted this question for first time I solved by plugging numbers.

Statement 1: K>M, if K=6 and M=4, then answer is No but if K=8 and M=4, the answer is Yes. Hence, insufficient.
Statement 2: M/K is an even integer, which means that M has all the factors of K (including powers of 2, i.e. 2-height of K) AND it has at least an extra 2 (because M/K results in an even integer, i.e. M=K*(an even integer)). Therefore, 2-height of K will always be smaller than 2-height of M. Hence, sufficient.

Answer - B

Kudos [?]: 49 [5], given: 3385

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5891 [3], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 23:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

The Q basically asks us if the power of 2 is greater for k when compared to m..
1) k>m..
not suff as k could be an odd number and m an even number, which would mean the 2-height of k < the 2-height of m..
and say k=32 and x=2.. the 2-height of k >the 2-height of m
insuff

2)m/k is an even integer...
this clearly shows that m is some even multiple of k..
and thus it will always be true that the 2-height of k < the 2-height of m..
suff

B

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5891 [3], given: 118

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 124

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

My approach was simple picking numbers
case 1) K>M
K=40, M=39: 2-height = 2^5=32 => same height
K= 65 M=40: 2-height K= 6, 2-height for M=5 => different
INSUFFICIENT

Case 2) M/K is an even integer
This means M is either 0 times of N or M is atleast twice of N, since M, N are +ve Integer 0 is invalid, which means M is atleast twice of N, which leads 2-height of M will always be at least 1 greater than 2-height of N.
Sufficient.

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 124

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
In the OG 2016, the "(2)" is not "m/k" but rather "k/m".

Answer explanation p.337:
"Given that k/m is an even integer, it follows that k/m = 2n for some integer n, or k = 2mn.
This implies that the 2-height of k is at least one more than the 2-height of m; SUFFICIENT."

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

Lets understand the question first

2-height of any number x=power of 2 in factorial of X

Lets check the statements:

Statement1: K>m
So can we surely say k has greater power of 2 than m?

No.
Lets see why.

It can be true for k=2^3;m=2^2
it can be false for k=(2^3)*5 and m=(2^3)*3

Notice both above examples fulfil the statement 1 but give uncertain results.
Hence Insufficient

Statement 2: m/k is even integer
since k and m are positive integer. this means m/k=2 times some integer
or m has more power of 2 than k.
hance 2-height of m will be greater than2- height of k
hence sufficient. Ans:B

Kudos if you like my solution

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 05:00
Can someone please explain what is being asked? Preferably with algebraic equation.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [1], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 05:13
This post received
KUDOS
sashlev wrote:
Can someone please explain what is being asked? Preferably with algebraic equation.

Thanks

Questions has explained the meaning of 2-height of x.

It says the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest non negative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. or we have n>=0 such that 2^n is a factor of x.

Say x=2, so we know that 2^1 ihe greatest factor of x. So, its 2-height will be 1.

Similarly, if we say x =28, we have 2^2 as the greatest factor in x, so n = 2, and so on.

Now, I hope the question is clear.

Moving on to the statements :

Statement 1 : k>m. Say K =5 and m is 4. in this case 2-height of m is greater than that is k.

But say k=8 and m=4, its the other way. Hence, insufficient.

Statement 2 : m/k is an even integer.

for m/k to be an integer, we must have k<=m.

Also, since it is even,we can say m must have 2 in it.

Or I can directly say m is a multiple of k such that m is even.

=> 2 height if m will always be greater than that of k. Take any values of m and k such that the above equation i satisfied you will always get the result.

hence, B is insufficient

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [1], given: 67

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 116

WE: Corporate Finance (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 10:06
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

and so on.

"is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?" means "Does k have more 2s than m?"

(1) k > m
Not sufficient.

When m is divided by k, you get an integer. So m has all factors of k and they get cancelled out and you are left with an integer. Also, the leftover integer is even so m has at least one 2 more than k.
So 2-height of m is certainly more than the 2-height of k. So we can answer the question that k does not have more 2s than m.

Answer (B)

Thank you very much for this . I didn't even comprehend the question so I certainly had no chance of answering correctly. I was a bit demoralized till I read your great explanation. Does the GMAT use height to represent that amount of times a prime shows up when doing prime factorization often?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 116

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 06:18
for 1,
for 3>2, 2-heights are 0 and 1
4>2, 2-heights are 2 and 1
insufficient

for 2,
m/k is even integer so m will have atleast 2-height 1 more than k
sufficient

Answer B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 44

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
NanaA wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

and so on.

(1) k > m
Not sufficient.

Answer (B)

Thank you very much for this . I didn't even comprehend the question so I certainly had no chance of answering correctly. I was a bit demoralized till I read your great explanation. Does the GMAT use height to represent that amount of times a prime shows up when doing prime factorization often?

I am surprised that nobody has answered this question. I am a native English speaker, and someone who has spent a substantial amount of time studying GMAT quantatitive questions and I have never encountered this terminology ("height") when referring to factors of a number. For this reason, I had no idea how to answer the question.

I can only hope this obscure phraseology was used to increase the difficulty of the question.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 44

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 17871 [1], given: 235

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ilovefrankee wrote:

Quote:
I am surprised that nobody has answered this question. I am a native English speaker, and someone who has spent a substantial amount of time studying GMAT quantatitive questions and I have never encountered this terminology ("height") when referring to factors of a number. For this reason, I had no idea how to answer the question.

I can only hope this obscure phraseology was used to increase the difficulty of the question.

This is not standard terminology so its no surprise that you haven't come across it before. It is a user defined function for this question only. The question gives exactly how to calculate 2-Height for a positive integer.
There could be another question which could define 2-Height as "the number of 2s that will add up to give that integer" etc.
Yes, user defined functions can increase the difficulty level of the question though note that the concepts are still very simple. The questions only look more difficult than they actually are.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 27

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
I'm confused. In DS questions, I treat both statements provided as objectively true. Therefore, if we find values that work with one of the statements, they cannot contradict the other statement. In this questions:
(1) k > m

I understand why (2) works, but if m/k is an even integer, and both variables are positive, then how can statement (1) ever be qualified as true? The only scenario in which this works is if m = 0, but that would cause the question to become invalid since the 2-height if m=0 cannot be calculated. Am I missing something? Bunuel or VeritasPrepKarishma, your help would be appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 27

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133160 [0], given: 12415

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 04:59
bionication wrote:
I'm confused. In DS questions, I treat both statements provided as objectively true. Therefore, if we find values that work with one of the statements, they cannot contradict the other statement. In this questions:
(1) k > m

I understand why (2) works, but if m/k is an even integer, and both variables are positive, then how can statement (1) ever be qualified as true? The only scenario in which this works is if m = 0, but that would cause the question to become invalid since the 2-height if m=0 cannot be calculated. Am I missing something? Bunuel or VeritasPrepKarishma, your help would be appreciated.

You are right. There was a typo in the second statement. (2) reads k/m is an even integer, not m/k is an even integer.

Edited. Thank you for noticing it.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 133160 [0], given: 12415

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 111

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 03:08
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

and so on.

(1) k > m
Not sufficient.

Answer (B)

Your solution definitely needs my time to stop and say 'Thank You!'.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 19:01
0 is also even integer, so what if k/m is 0?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5891 [2], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 19:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Cheryn wrote:
0 is also even integer, so what if k/m is 0?

Hi, always read the entire q thoroughly so as not to miss out on minor details.
It is given m and k are positive integers so they cannot be 0

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5891 [2], given: 118

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

and so on.

(1) k > m
Not sufficient.

Answer (B)

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
In your explanation, you mention:

"So, an even number will have a 2-height of at least 1."

Isn't 0 an even number with a 2-height (as defined in the question) of 0? That wouldn't affect the answer to the question since we know both k and m to be positive integers, but I just wanted to be clear conceptually with respect to the statement you made about even numbers in general.

Note that the function is defined for positive integers only. Hence, whatever general statements we make regarding this function, they are made for positive integers only.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 05:43

For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap