Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
Shivam Misra: Shivam Misra
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: NUS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [5]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Howe to decide between September (no internship opport) or Jan Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
I opted for September-intake. In your case, there will not be much of a difference between the two terms. To understand the detailed difference between September and January intake, read this
https://aidmit.com/index.php/2018/08/24/ ... ry-intake/

shivam9205 wrote:
I have about 9 years of experience in oil and gas. I have worked in mostly in operations in different parts of the world. I intend to switch to consulting post my MBA. Which would be a better option for me- Sep intake or Jan intake? The difference between them for me is the 2 month intern opportunity in the Jan intake which seems important to if I have to change my field from operations in Oil and Gas to Consulting. Any pointers on the same would help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 790 Q50 V51
Send PM
Re: Howe to decide between September (no internship opport) or Jan Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
I was at an event recently where this topic came up in an alumni chat. One alum (who did the Sept intake and ended up in consulting) mentioned that they actually preferred the Sept intake because there was less rush.

For the Jan intake, recruiting for internships starts almost immediately. If you get an internship, you have a very good chance of getting a full-time offer (assuming you don't completely mess it up), so in effect full-time recruiting for you starts in the first couple of months. You can of course recruit for full-time later in the year without doing an internship, but it's seen as a little strange ("where were you during internship recruiting?").

For the Sept intake, you can take a few months to work out what you want to do, and then start full-time recruiting when the time comes later in the year, and it's seen as totally normal. For someone who isn't sure about consulting and maybe wants to talk to other students with consulting backgrounds and get to know it better, this could be a benefit. As MBAPrepCoach mentioned INSEAD sends a lot of students to consulting in the Sept intake so obviously the lack of internship isn't holding anyone back.

Just wanted to share as I hadn't heard this perspective before, I'm only a prospective applicant but just thought this was an interesting take on it.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
aidmit THIS BLOG IS GREAT. Thank you for writing it. IMO you should cut and paste the whole damn thing here.

Biggest headline/takeaway for me is IF MIDDLE EAST = RECRUIT IN ABU DHABI = APPLY SEPTEMBER.

Do you happen to have any recent information about different in acceptance rates? App volumes much higher for Jan batch which is another reason to apply.

Would lump PE in with IB on Jan term compulsory.

aidmit wrote:
I opted for September-intake. In your case, there will not be much of a difference between the two terms. To understand the detailed difference between September and January intake, read this

shivam9205 wrote:
I have about 9 years of experience in oil and gas. I have worked in mostly in operations in different parts of the world. I intend to switch to consulting post my MBA. Which would be a better option for me- Sep intake or Jan intake? The difference between them for me is the 2 month intern opportunity in the Jan intake which seems important to if I have to change my field from operations in Oil and Gas to Consulting. Any pointers on the same would help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach

INSEAD doesn't release acceptance rate data separately for Septemeber and Jan intake. But the general consensus is that more people tend to apply to Jan term and hence lower acceptance rate. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is any easier to get through :P

Here goes the major chunk from the blog

September intake of MBA at INSEAD is a 10-month program which does not allow you the time to pursue any full-time internship during the course. January intake is a 12-month program which includes a 2-month full-time internship opportunity. There is one more difference, as a part September intake, you have an option to spend 2-month study period in Abu Dhabi. This exchange is not available for January term. The exchange between Singapore and France campus and to the partner universities in the US is possible for all the students.

With all the above information, how do we pick which intake works best for us? The answer is – there isn’t any difference between the two. In most of the cases, your intake has no bearing on the learning outcome or your employment chances. An internship provides a good platform for you to put your networking skills and soft skills to test, but the lack of internship doesn’t mean that you are not trained in these skills. Internship is required only for people who intend to transition to investment banking and have no prior experience at all. Most of the investment banking firms hire you as an intern and then promote you to a full-time role. Hence, people looking to build their career as an investment banker should prefer January term. This in no way means that it is not possible to land a job at an investment banking firm for September term students. But September term students may have to join the firm as an intern upon graduation and then look to convert to a full-time role.

Also, people looking to work in middle east post graduation (and haven’t stayed or worked in the region) should prefer September term. September term provides you with an opportunity to stay in Abu Dhabi for 2 months and network with industry around and meet prospective recruiters.

People looking to continue in consulting domain / transitioning to the consulting domain should not worry at all. INSEAD is a consulting heavy school and it should not be difficult to land a consulting job if you work smart during your stay at INSEAD irrespective of the intake you choose to join.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
aidmit THIS BLOG IS GREAT. Thank you for writing it. IMO you should cut and paste the whole damn thing here.

Biggest headline/takeaway for me is IF MIDDLE EAST = RECRUIT IN ABU DHABI = APPLY SEPTEMBER.

Do you happen to have any recent information about different in acceptance rates? App volumes much higher for Jan batch which is another reason to apply.

Would lump PE in with IB on Jan term compulsory.

aidmit wrote:

shivam9205 wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
shivam9205 wrote:

From what I heard, if you are into consulting, then intenship is not mandatory. However, this info was shared by very old alumni in one of the events. It's better to make an informed decision . Good luck

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Murthykvln94 wrote:
shivam9205 wrote:

From what I heard, if you are into consulting, then intenship is not mandatory. However, this info was shared by very old alumni in one of the events. It's better to make an informed decision . Good luck

Posted from my mobile device

What you have heard is true :D
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived INSEAD Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our INSEAD Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated INSEAD Forum for all fresh things related to the INSEAD MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts