GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 06:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (00:52) correct 54% (00:56) wrong based on 1032 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have found a solution to the national deficit and that they can halt soaring inflation, there is no quick fix, and any real chance for economic stability will necessarily take time, compromise, and sacrifice.

A) However much our nation's elected officials may argue that

B) However much our nation's elected officials argue

C) Although our nation's elected officials may argue

D) Although our nation's elected officials argue

E) Even though our nation's elected officials agree that

Strange one imho.
Math Expert
V
Re: However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 06:59
noTh1ng wrote:
However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have found a solution to the national deficit and that they can halt soaring inflation, there is no quick fix, and any real chance for economic stability will necessarily take time, compromise, and sacrifice.

A) However much our nation's elected officials may argue that

B) However much our nation's elected officials argue

C) Although our nation's elected officials may argue

D) Although our nation's elected officials argue

E) Even though our nation's elected officials agree that

Strange one imho.

Hi,
two issues..
1) parallelism..agree that they.... and that they... only A and E left..
2) meaning.. the sentence brings out contrast in two situations, so although is correct in original in meaning..
ans A
hope it helped

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
Re: However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 07:03
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
two issues..
2) meaning.. the sentence brings out contrast in two situations, so although is correct in original in meaning..
ans A
hope it helped

Thanks, it does help.

My problem is that I think that "However much our nation's elected officials may argue" sounds absolutely strange and that I am not even completely sure on what that even means!?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 08:52
noTh1ng wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
two issues..
ans A
hope it helped

Thanks, it does help.

My problem is that I think that "However much our nation's elected officials may argue" sounds absolutely strange and that I am not even completely sure on what that even means!?

Hi,
what it means is ...
whatever amount of argument our nations elected officials may do to tell us tht they have found solutions for deficit..., it is not easy ...

applebus,

here much is modifying arguement, so much is ok..

hope it helped

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 03:36
One more thing to note is that the original says that 'however much our nation's elected officials may argue". This ‘however much’ and ‘may argue’ factors are required to be carried through in the contenders. Otherwise it will amount to altered intent. B, C, D and E simply don’t do that. Hence A is the best per se.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Cant change meaning of original sentence in SC----HELP!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:49
Hi guys,
I have a quick question regarding what most people say about SC, which is that you cannot change the intended meaning of the original sentence that the author wrote. my question is: how do you know what is the intended meaning of the author? In the below case, the answer is A, I however chose e, and Kaplan states that e is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence, but how do I know what is the "intended" meaning of the sentence? is this a wrong reason as to why e is wrong?

In general terms, if the answer choices have answers that will be different in meaning or change the sentence how do you choose the correct "meaning"??
best
Oloman

So, Ive come across this question in Kaplan CAT.

a)However much our nation's elected officials may argue that
b)However much our nation's elected officials argue
c)Although our nation's elected officials may argue
d)Although our nation's elected officials argue
e)Even though our nation's elected officials agree that

Originally posted by oloman on 18 Oct 2015, 09:36.
Last edited by oloman on 18 Oct 2015, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
D
Re: Cant change meaning of original sentence in SC----HELP!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 09:47
Please take extra care to see, the question is well presented as per norms. It is indeed difficult to answer questions, when the underlining is missing

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 11:50
oloman wrote:
Hi guys,
I have a quick question regarding what most people say about SC, which is that you cannot change the intended meaning of the original sentence that the author wrote. my question is: how do you know what is the intended meaning of the author? In the below case, the answer is A, I however chose e, and Kaplan states that e is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence, but how do I know what is the "intended" meaning of the sentence? is this a wrong reason as to why e is wrong?

In general terms, if the answer choices have answers that will be different in meaning or change the sentence how do you choose the correct "meaning"??
best
Oloman

Hi,
The intended meaning of the author will always be find from the original sentence i.e not from options other than A. First, read the original sentence both underlined and non-underlined part, then figure it out what actually author wants to convey with this sentence. That meaning is the actual / intended meaning of the author. In option A the author meaning is that 'officials may argue', and replacing 'agree' in place of 'argue' has changed the meaning. 'argue' does not mean 'agree'.

Options b,c,d are out because they need 'that' to make the sentence parallel. E are out because of the change in meaning, as explained above.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash Alex
(Do like the below link on FB and join us in contributing towards education to under-privilege children.)
https://www.facebook.com/svect

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 12:18
Hello, thanks for the reply, so is it safe to say that the intended meaning of the author is ALWAYS stated in the original sentence regardless of whether it is right or wrong? In this specific case, I could not have concluded that the intended meaning of the author is to use argue and not may argue, because in the original sentence he uses "may argue"
best

VikashAlex wrote:
oloman wrote:
Hi guys,

best
Oloman

Hi,
The intended meaning of the author will always be find from the original sentence i.e not from options other than A. First, read the original sentence both underlined and non-underlined part, then figure it out what actually author wants to convey with this sentence. That meaning is the actual / intended meaning of the author. In option A the author meaning is that 'officials may argue', and replacing 'agree' in place of 'argue' has changed the meaning. 'argue' does not mean 'agree'.

Options b,c,d are out because they need 'that' to make the sentence parallel. E are out because of the change in meaning, as explained above.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 12:29
[quote="oloman"]Hello, thanks for the reply, so is it safe to say that the intended meaning of the author is ALWAYS stated in the original sentence regardless of whether it is right or wrong? In this specific case, I could not have concluded that the intended meaning of the author is to use argue and not may argue, because in the original sentence he uses "may argue"
best

Absolutely. The intended meaning will always be concluded from the original sentence.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash Alex
(Do like the below link on FB and join us in contributing towards education to under-privilege children.)
https://www.facebook.com/svect

Retired Moderator
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 16:05
No,the original sentence can carry a ambiguous meaning (as seen in comparison sentences) or a meaning error (misplaced modifiers) Our job is to understand the intended meaning of the author and choose the best option that is grammatically correct and conveys the intent clearly and unambiguously. Original sentence can have both grammatically and meaning errors

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 19:57
The perception that the original text only contains the intended meaning may not be correct all the times. Sometimes they may carry absurd meanings that are contrary to common sense, in which case it becomes necessary to choose an option that carries the correct intention in the other choices.
But in the given case the there is no reason to change the intent since it is nothing out of the usual. So the original is good enough.

There are three splits given in the topic.

1. may argue --- say some may argue, some may not argue; may be 50% this and 50% that.
2. argue----- 100% argue – The author does not intend this.
3. agree --- Not even any argument here. 100% simply agree. This isn’t what the author wants to say
You can see the difference implicit in each of the choices.

Now, can we find fault with the first choice? Is it any thing absurd? No. therefore any choice that says 'may argue' is good enough.
One can now see why choice E is incorrect.

This looks like a simulated version of yet another old popular question

However much United States voters may agree that there is a waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towards a minimal state

a) However much United States voters may agree that
b) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
c) Although United States voters agree
d) Even though United States voters may agree
e) There is agreement among United States voters that

It is worthwhile to go through Ron’s authoritative views about the intent part as well as many other aspects of this topic

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t3375.html
HTH

Narendran +9198845 44509

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 03:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 03:07

However much our nation's elected officials may argue that they have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap