It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 15:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HR career post MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
HR career post MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 21:36
Hi!

I haven't noticed much talk about a HR career post MBA. I know it's not very common but is anyone familiar with a HR path upon graduating from a MBA program? For anyone who asks, I'm interested in a MBA as opposed to a MS because I would like to learn all aspects of the business and be well-rounded when I enter a company. For those who may have MBA friends who are interested in HR, can you expand on what they're looking to go into? Is it mostly human capital consulting? Also do companies recruit for HR roles at all at MBA Programs?

Thanks for all the help!
Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: HR career post MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 21:45
I am working right now with a delightful Chinese lady who is an HR Manager at a Fortune 500 company, I suggested to her that we go for People Analytics and she loved it. Already have interviews lined up with Tepper and Texas, so excited for her.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B
Re: HR career post MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 00:02
There are 3 major wings based on the kind of firm you work for/with:

1- Corporates
If you're straight out of college, you would begin with Recruitment, Salary Processing & Payroll, Designing Employee Offer Letters, and coordinating all other activities in screening the right candidates.
With some experience you could move into Designing the Training Calendar, Screening Training needs based on manager feedback and employee roles, getting in touch with training providers or designing your own programs, identify leaders early and try to put them through projects and learning activities to take up bigger positions later. This would also include employee appraisals, performance benchmarking, etc.

2- Agencies & Consults
There are plenty recruitment agencies out there who basically outsourcing the screening and testing portion of the recruitment process. They're bet is on having a large base of relevant people and ideally operate in particular sectors or specific profiles and rely more on the volume of applicants.
An MBA (HR) can easily enter at a Manager level who spends more time filtering applications and matching them with upcoming jobs as opposed to interacting with applicants and getting them on board (that's for an undergraduate to do)

3- Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO)
This has been the new addition to the kind of services an HR Professional can provide.
The basic idea is to have ready candidates - if an employee leaves your client midway and the client would have to spend time hunting another employee then an RPO guarantees a ready supply without any time wastage!
This is like an advanced version of a Recruitment Agency where you assume responsibility for the work and efficiency for each hire; also allowing a regular supply on time.

All 3 would require very different skill sets and commitment to understand how the business works and adapt to it..
Good Luck!
Re: HR career post MBA?   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2018, 00:02

HR career post MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap