It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I can't even break 500 on a practice test! =(

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

I can't even break 500 on a practice test! =( [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2008, 20:00
I have taken two practice tests by MGMAT and GMAC and have scored 420 and 460 respectively. I am about 3 weeks into my online MGMAT class and I have been able to keep up with the assigned homework in which I put in around 15 hours a week.

To sum things up, I am just not a very good test taker and while I feel good when I'm doing the homework, I just don't know how to apply it to the real test. I finish the tests with so much time to spare b/c I am guessing on most of the questions and don't know how to do them. I took the practice tests three weeks apart and I feel like I'm exactly where I left off last time.

It is very frustrating b/c I am putting in the time and effort but not seeing any results. I still have an additional two months of studying but I have A LOT of ground to cover and I'm just worried I won't get there.

Any advice/tips on how I can get better and improve would be extremely helpful.

Intern
Intern

Re: I can't even break 500 on a practice test! =( [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2008, 05:59
I think 420 - 480 are typical for a diagnostic test. so first 2 or three tests are usually in this range. So lot of hard work needs to be done to get into higher range.

First of all my question is have you covered the whole subject areas as far as studying. ??
Whats your background are you a math person? or a verbal person?

In math: permutations and combinations, probability, sets, numbers, strategic ways of working on problems like fractions? ratios, etc.

In verbal: Have you got enough practice on critical reasoning? How about sentence correction? Have you got enough practice on reading comprehension?

Work on each of the areas as if you are working on your muscles. For instance hamstrings at one time. biceps at some other time. triceps at some other time.

Make sure that you focus on each of the areas. Whats critical is you should be able to finish the problem in 5 to 10 minutes when are not timed. Timed working on problems is differnt from untimed. try to work on hard questions by taking as much time as posssible. 8-)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2008, 11:32
Can you switch to taking a classroom course, or maybe adding a tutor? I think you'd get more out of one of those options than an online course.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:27
I agree with gmatnbe. Focus on those areas in which you are weak. Try to develop your basics one section at a time. And if you are taking more than 2.5 min per question in math then go through the concepts and try to explore different alternatives method for solving the problem.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: I can't even break 500 on a practice test! =(   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2008, 15:27

I can't even break 500 on a practice test! =(

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap