Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 19:39 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 19:39
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629904 [3]
Given Kudos: 82183
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men and women. [#permalink]
Kudos
Best answer could be D;I opted for D as well ,but I could not understand how it clarifies the reasoning behind wage disparity due to sex when none is working where physical strength is required.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men and women. [#permalink]
both are labourer and hence physical work is required. What they do in actual is not affecting the choice since argument says, in certain tasks they required physical strength.

Quote:
I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men and women. Almost all salaried individuals today are paid based on their qualification and experience and not their sex. It is only the lower labour class where the disparity still exists, but this is justified because there are certain tasks requiring physical strength, such as carrying heavy construction material, that can only be performed by men.

Choice D correctly follows this reasoning and hence is answer.

(D) A male labourer who does not do any physical work is paid a higher wage than a female labourer who does not do any physical work.

Kapil1650 wrote:
Best answer could be D;I opted for D as well ,but I could not understand how it clarifies the reasoning behind wage disparity due to sex when none is working where physical strength is required.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629904 [0]
Given Kudos: 82183
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men and women. Almost all salaried individuals today are paid based on their qualification and experience and not their sex. It is only the lower labour class where the disparity still exists, but this is justified because there are certain tasks requiring physical strength, such as carrying heavy construction material, that can only be performed by men.

If the above statements are true, which of the following is an example of wage disparity on the basis of gender?

(A) A company pays its management trainees, most of whom are females and have just passed out from business schools, a lower salary than it pays to its senior partners, most of whom are males.

(B) A male labourer who does not do any physically taxing work is paid a lower wage than a male labourer who does physically taxing work.

(C) A female employee at a managerial level in a company gets a lower salary than a female employee who has joined the company as a trainee but whose uncle is a partner in the company.

(D) A male labourer who does not do any physical work is paid a higher wage than a female labourer who does not do any physical work.

(E) A male manager working for Company X gets paid a higher salary than does a female manager with similar experience working for Company Z

This is a CR Butler Question

Official Explanation

The argument concludes that wage disparities on the basis of gender do not exist anymore. It also provides an explanation for an apparent disparity in the wages of male and female labourers. D weakens the argument by stating that even though the male and female workers are not doing any physical labour, the male is still being paid higher wages.

(A) The wage disparity is on the basis of experience or seniority and not gender. The gender is just a coincidence.

(B) The comparison between two male labourers is irrelevant to the argument about gender disparity.

(C) Again, the comparison between two female employees is irrelevant to the argument about gender disparity.

(D) The correct answer.

(E) While this may look good initially, it may very well be the case that the two companies in question have different wage standards. You can only do a correct comparison if you compare employees working for the same company.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
820 posts