It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 5
I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:29
Hello all,
I took the test today and as you can see my score is a total embarrassment!
I'm not a native speaker i have just moved to the US , and i have an engineering back ground ,plus my english language is basically self taught ! I have never studied proper grammar nor took any classes that alot of native speakers have taken during their lives!
I believe this exam is wearing me out.. Im great with math whenever i take the prep test i end up with quant 47 verbal 27 ,and the total score ranged between (540-590)!!!
I studied all 3 OG books , all MGMAT , CR bible and took 5 prep and 2 MCAT! I studied for 3 months i had little social life! I just couldn't improve my verbal score , I'm a slow reader one paragraph would take me around 10 mints to fully understand ,not to mention the difficult ones especially when history or boring articles kicks in..plus i could never understand alot of CR questions however, generally i do ok in grammar as i try to follow the rules as much as i can! I lost hope in ever achieving a high score.. i know my qualifications but this exam is making me feel horrible about self!
If anyone ever had such an experience please let me know what to do with my verbal score and how did you improve your self!

Thanks,


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11069
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 12:19
Hi jiana90,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals and how you took your practice CATs:

Goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 13:13
Hi,

Thank you for your replay :)

For goals,
1) 600-650
2)the deadline is on may 1st
3)university of Michigan-Flint

For CATs:
The prep tests were a lot easier than the actual exam especially the quant part, but verbal was similar
1)yes i did the entire tests,i wanted to practice my writing skills within limited time.
2) i took the exam at home
3) i took them during a period of two weeks before the exam
4)i only took breaks never skipped but ended up guessing five questions as i'm always unable to finish on time
5)i took 5 prep test, 2 Manhattan CAT
The ideas on the prep tests were somehow similar.

I hope you could help me :(
Im really depressed what did i do wrong ? :(



Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 13:15
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jiana90,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals and how you took your practice CATs:

Goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Hi,

Thank you for your replay :)

For goals,
1) 600-650
2)the deadline is on may 1st
3)university of Michigan-Flint

For CATs:
The prep tests were a lot easier than the actual exam especially the quant part, but verbal was similar
1)yes i did the entire tests,i wanted to practice my writing skills within limited time.
2) i took the exam at home
3) i took them during a period of two weeks before the exam
4)i only took breaks never skipped but ended up guessing five questions as i'm always unable to finish on time
5)i took 5 prep test, 2 Manhattan CAT
The ideas on the prep tests were somehow similar.

I hope you could help me :(
Im really depressed what did i do wrong ? :(



Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11069
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 18:01
Hi jiana90,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking seven CATs in the two weeks right before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day - and that would help to explain why your score dropped so much in the Verbal section (since that's the last 75 minutes of the Test, when you would have been your most tired). In addition, by taking the CATs at home did, you did not properly prepare for what you were going to experience on Test Day (leaving your home, taking the Test in a strange environment with potential distractions, etc.). As such, regardless of how you choose to proceed, you will have to change your 'routine' for taking your CATs.

Thankfully, you still have plenty of time before the application deadline you've listed to continue to study and improve. However, to raise this 470 to a 600+, you will likely need to use all of that time - and do so in an efficient fashion - to hit that score. With a V17, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You would likely find it really beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 05:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jiana90,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking seven CATs in the two weeks right before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day - and that would help to explain why your score dropped so much in the Verbal section (since that's the last 75 minutes of the Test, when you would have been your most tired). In addition, by taking the CATs at home did, you did not properly prepare for what you were going to experience on Test Day (leaving your home, taking the Test in a strange environment with potential distractions, etc.). As such, regardless of how you choose to proceed, you will have to change your 'routine' for taking your CATs.

Thankfully, you still have plenty of time before the application deadline you've listed to continue to study and improve. However, to raise this 470 to a 600+, you will likely need to use all of that time - and do so in an efficient fashion - to hit that score. With a V17, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You would likely find it really beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Thank you so much for your advice.
Any recommendation on where find good gmat english instructor?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11069
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 11:21
Hi jiana90,

From your posts, I think that your English "skills" are fine - so I don't think that you need an English instructor to improve your GMAT score. You probably DO need to learn more about the Verbal section of the GMAT - the content & question types, Tactics, patterns, common wrong answer types, etc. so that you can hone your Verbal skills and earn a higher score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 May 2016
Posts: 4
Location: Italy
Schools: ESSEC '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 560 Q34 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.7
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 13:16
Heh Jiana90,
I am also a non-native english speaker. I took the GMAT three times, my first time was last october I canceled the score and it wasn't so different than yours. Look at my results afterwards. I don't think I'll win the next Pulitzer prize for journalism but I finally somehow did it! Don't lose hope, keep exercising and you'll do it! :-)
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 14:51
akra wrote:
Heh Jiana90,
I am also a non-native english speaker. I took the GMAT three times, my first time was last october I canceled the score and it wasn't so different than yours. Look at my results afterwards. I don't think I'll win the next Pulitzer prize for journalism but I finally somehow did it! Don't lose hope, keep exercising and you'll do it! :-)


Hey Akra!
Thanks for your reply.
I cant see your score anywhere hehehe
However, I'm planning to take a break before i would dig deep.
Can you pleaaaase tell me how did you improve your verbal skills?
Thanks alot!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 May 2016
Posts: 4
Location: Italy
Schools: ESSEC '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 560 Q34 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.7
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 05:36
Hey,
I thought you could read my scores below my name. Anyway, I finally scored 630 (Q 36 V 40). I followed Manhattan prep books strategy, both for verbal and quantitative. The best way to improve verbal skills in my opinion is reading a lot (magazines, articles, websites, journals...). In my opinion, the more you read the better your score will be.
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!!   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2017, 05:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.