It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

i Gave up .... 440 (MA 31; VE 20) 3rd time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua
i Gave up .... 440 (MA 31; VE 20) 3rd time [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 19:33
Don't know how you guyz do it?!! I quit my job, stayed at home with parents and studied 24/7 for a month, not including the spare time I have devoted to the GMAT after the first time I took it, probably put in more than +2000 hours of preparation went through
(1) Barron's GMAT 2009 (GMAT practice CAT test in back got 500)
(2) The Princeton Review 2009 GMAT
(3) Peterson's Master the GMAT 2008 (GMAT practice CAT 500/530/550)
(4) Official Guide Orange cover GMAT review 11th edition
(5) Official Guide Green cover Qunatitative review
(6) Cambridge Ed GMAT (practice test 500
Now I did all of these (minus the OG Green cover) twice each, extensively, I did it so much that I already knew the answer to the question before I even read it. The first time I took the real GMAT was on May of 2007 I got a 410 (MA 29;VA 18), I studied for that one, not that good, but I thought I put in plenty of effort for $250.00. Ok no problem, I took it again on the GMAT bus that came down here in February this year, and DECREASED to 310 (MA 18: VA 14), ok fine I had a bad day, and that one seemed hard as hell compared to the first time I took it. So in June I quit my job and just studied in Library, not all the time, but I was in their quiet often. So 2 weeks before the test I took the GMAC test online and got an 380.
So I started with the OG again and did all the problems again, and that itself took me the rest of the 2 weeks, and yesterday I pretty much went through the OG Quantitave. So I took it this afternoon at 12:15 at the same place I took it the first time and the worst thing about the test... IT SEEMED SO DAMN EASY... I felt for sure I had aced it. The books questions were so much harder than the ones on the test. And I thought I did the ones in the beginning right, because I doubled checked myself. And the verbal I thought I had figured out the tricks, I was getting the majority (minus RC) in the Orange OG right. Hah, and I was aiming for a 700!! Can you believe that, you should see the schools that got my report, they must be laughing out of their seats!!! wow, and I came on this website about 3 weeks and have been reading the forum every now and then. Damn, i just felt like I wasted so much of my life over this test. Don't really have any prospests right now, as in future outlook. How in the world is the mean a 530!!! Damn I just fell stupid!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 729 [1], given: 1

Re: i Gave up .... 440 (MA 31; VE 20) 3rd time [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
khan,

You are a fighter. You took on the beast 3 times, so what if you couldn't win it yet? You did your best so far!! Trust me, your story is inspiring.

Now that you have already given so much of your life time to overpower this beast, I urge you not to give up. Get up, try again ! one last time at least ??

Now you have to figure out, what went wrong ? If you have fallen three times against the beast, there are some serious areas or weaknesses you left open to let the beast attack you...

What areas do you feel you are weak ? How many practice tests you took? What were your scores ? post them here. The people here are amazing. They will surely help you out. Participate in this forum. You can learn so much from the people here.

Not everyone is born genius, some people are self made.

I am no expert, I am not a high scorer myself. There are times when I feel like running away from GMAT. My heart breaks every time I see a dismal score on my practice tests. But such is life. ! Trust me it is very easy to give up. It takes nerves to fight. There is this dude on this forum who scored 700 after scoring 420 (read this viewtopic.php?t=35919)

It is possible.

All the best.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 729 [1], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2008, 00:34
you are a brave man! not just for takin the test 3 times but also for ur honest posts

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Schools: Fuqua

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2008, 09:31
thank you for reply, I have taken the GMAT practice test a number of times and haven't been able to break 550, my highest score yet, I have taken a bunch of practice tests in books as well and don't really see that much improvement. My weakness is understanding the question, and Setence Correction, sometimes I get confused on Reading Comprehension but usually I do pretty good. I make plenty of careless mistakes, one big reason, another is that I misinterpret the question. I would love to tackle the GMAT again, just to prove to myself that I can do it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2008, 00:55
Buck up,Man!

You can do it. You have been through a lot. Keep pressing on you you will triumph.It is so great to know people like you are on this forum. This shows that you will eventually breakthrough. You wrote you have to weaknesses making careless mistakes and misinterpretation,that's good because those are two very powerful problems; overcome them and you will definitely improve your score.

Godspeed.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 2

Schools: Tepper '11

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2008, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
work smarter, not harder. IMHO you have too many books teaching you different methods

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
I think that your method was not the best. Firstly, look for basics. Chose the best materials for each part of the exam. For quant i could chose any book in order to learn basics, but after that i could be vigilent at details. Practice, see what are your problems and solve them. For verbal you could MGMAT Sc for basics, but after that you must search on forums useful materials, such us SC notes of Gayathari or Speedey. For CR use Powerscore Bible and practice. For RC read articles and practice. Try to paraphrase. Good luck, you could have a better score.

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

Re: i Gave up .... 440 (MA 31; VE 20) 3rd time   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2008, 03:30

i Gave up .... 440 (MA 31; VE 20) 3rd time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap