GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 07:21

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

I'm having a trouble with my preparation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
I'm having a trouble with my preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Dec 2017, 19:19
Its been twice I postponed the gmat & thinking about 3rd time.I have test on dec 16 & I feel that I'm not yet prepared.All I need is a score of >=500 but i haven't started practicing.In my last gmatprep test I scored 300( q 11 v 13 ).I usually spends 2.5 to 3.5 hrs in weekdays for prep.Can anyone suggest me what I have to do & how can I improve.

Thanks,
Nevan.

Originally posted by Nevan on 05 Dec 2017, 13:09.
Last edited by Nevan on 06 Dec 2017, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I'm having a trouble with my preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 05:00
Nevan

Welcome to GmatClub!

I would strongly suggest you to go through Manhattan guides of 8 sets and work on your basics. Your scores reflect that either you are out of touch
from studies or need to brush up concepts. You need to diligently out in 16-20 hrs / week to get closer to your target score.

It shall be a wise decision to reschedule your date if you are not scoring well in second free mock (ideally attempt in mid way of prep)

Hope this helps!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 08:24
Nevan wrote:
Its been twice I postponed the gmat & thinking about 3rd time.I have test on dec 16 & I think that I'm not yet prepared.All I need is a score of >=500 but i haven't started practicing.In my last gmatprep test I scored 300( q 11 v 13 ).I usually spends 2.5 to 3.5 hrs in weekdays for prep.Can anyone suggest me what I have to do.

Thanks
Nevan

Hi Nevan,

I would highly encourage you to aim a little higher. Even if you are scoring low right now it doesn’t imply that you will not get better. I have met several people who started really low but have nonetheless scored enviable scores and made it to top business schools. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMATPREP once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. It will be wise to postpone your GMAT for a few months and work on improving your base. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. Further I see you are a new member here at GMATCLUB and when you sign up at GMATCLUB you get a free 3 days access to EMPOWERgmat course. You can also try free access to Magoosh and Optimus Prep so try those out as well.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 10:45
Nevan wrote:
Its been twice I postponed the gmat & thinking about 3rd time.I have test on dec 16 & I think that I'm not yet prepared.All I need is a score of >=500 but i haven't started practicing.In my last gmatprep test I scored 300( q 11 v 13 ).I usually spends 2.5 to 3.5 hrs in weekdays for prep.Can anyone suggest me what I have to do.

Thanks
Nevan

Hi

16 dec is looking no good as your mock result is 300 you probably need basics of GMAT First start with Manhattan foundations of GMAT Math and Verbal and then get basic 8 guides of Manhattan learn the learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

GOOD lUCK

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 17:52
Nevan wrote:
Its been twice I postponed the gmat & thinking about 3rd time.I have test on dec 16 & I feel that I'm not yet prepared.All I need is a score of >=500 but i haven't started practicing.In my last gmatprep test I scored 300( q 11 v 13 ).I usually spends 2.5 to 3.5 hrs in weekdays for prep.Can anyone suggest me what I have to do & how can I improve.

Thanks,
Nevan.

Hi Nevan!

It looks like you've already gotten some great advice here :-)

I just want to emphasize that the quality of your studies is much more important than the quantity. Learning from mistakes is key. If it were possible to never make the same mistake twice, you would become an absolute master of the test in a very, very short time. So be sure that you go through the explanation, study very carefully the related concepts, research methods or material you're not comfortable with but are mentioned in the solution, and really analyze the questions.

Make it your goal to understand inside-out every single practice question you do, so that if you see that same question in the future, you know that you will nail it. In fact, if you review a question one day, it's good to go back to it four to five days later to see if you still understand it. Always be checking how much you have retained or how much you can actually remember from what you think you understand. Until you can recall something at any time, without any hints or warm-up, immediately and with complete clarity--until you can recall it like that--you don't really understand it as deeply as you need to. The goal in learning is NOT efficiency but rather thoroughness.

I'd also recommend reading through Mike's list of the habits of excellence, and try to incorporate those as much as possible in your practice!

I hope that's helpful! :-)

-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Club Bot
Re: I'm having a trouble with my preparation &nbs [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 17:52

I'm having a trouble with my preparation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap