Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: I need some advice on my current situation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi SQ17,

Honestly, If you really want to write quality applications then you should just start with 3 in mind ( because that’s what is realistic) as that’s what looks doable in this window for the Jan deadline. Anything beyond that will be a stretch for sure. However, if you strategically pick schools that have similar essays then 5 could be doable. That being said, you should already start working out his overall MBA pitch and brainstorm for answers to the following questions:

1) Why MBA
2) POST-MBA goals
3) Contribution to the community

With the guided approach, this should take almost a week. And once these are all set then you can start working out the first drafts. If the drafts for 3 schools are done by 20th dec ( that’s a hard deadline you should give yourself), then you can start thinking about the remaining 2 schools. If it takes you longer than that, then you should just focus on perfecting 3 applications. It’s not impossible, you have to just pull your socks.

I hope this helps!

If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile in length and further chances to the b-schools. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

How to maximize your chances for top MBA programs in January intake

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Profile Analyst & Channel Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

SQ17 wrote:
Some background first - below is a high-level view of my profile:

- GMAT: 720 (Q48/V40/IR6)
- 8 years of total work XP, currently at a T2 consulting firm (recently promoted to manager)
- Very unique/under-represented nationality but also a US national so I won't have any visa issues
- I have a pretty unique background and post-MBA story crafted
- University GPA: 3.2 (public university in Florida, decent ranking)

Given the basics above, I think I have a pretty good shot to get into a top tier program. Now with that said, I have five weeks to go until R2 deadlines and I'm just barely getting started on my apps (long story but not important to this discussion).

My initial school plan was as follows:
-Long-shots: HBS, CBS
-Realistic target: LBS
-Fallback: IESE

Having spoken to friends who have applied to MBA programs in recent years, it seems a 2-3 week period is required per application to really ensure you're submitting a quality app.

Is it in any way realistic for me to push to apply to all four of the schools on my list within a 5-week period or should I sacrifice 1-2 to ensure I submit my best possible apps?

Would appreciate any advice - thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [3]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
I need some advice on my current situation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SQ17 - what I would do is choose only 2 schools max for the deadlines in the first week of January. I'm not sure I would go with CBS because they have so many seats already filled from the early action round. Maybe go with LBS.

Then I would add either Ross or Stern. Ross deadline is Jan 10 and has a very simple application; don't ignore it until Jan 7 but you could realistically get it done in a couple days. Stern is also good because the deadline is Jan 15, and Sloan because its on Jan 19. Stern can be done in a week if you have some interesting photos and some copywriting skills. Sloan is a 300 word cover letter; I use 2 examples of where you made a tangible lasting impact and tie those together to show your brand. Once you do HBS its pretty figureoutable.

As for IESE, shoot for R3, the application isnt huge but does require some additional thought for the first essay. Your GMAT and background will make you competitive esp since they have 4 rounds.

And last, go for Round 2 at INSEAD for January *NOT R3 for Sept intake*- it's only 3 months later and they have 1000 free seats and there will still be plenty open in R2 (but def apply R2 because of scholarships.) And, maybe add HEC, for January intake (sometimes they will invite you to the fall intake if there is room.)

Don't just think about this from the perspective of essays, however, make sure to think about very strong anecdotes your recommenders can illustrate for the rec questions. These are so vital, people often put more weight on what others have to say about you than what you have to say about you.

Choose anecdotes that make a strong claim about you as a person and then back it up with a story that demonstrates leadership, teamwork, problem solving and/or innovation. (not all of these though; don't make it super messy, just a clear statement and facts to back it up.) They go out to all the schools so let your recommenders to the heavy lifting but have a long chat with them and give them a clear roadmap. If you enter the school name and recommendation questions you can find them online.

Hope this helps, good luck to you!

SQ17 wrote:
Some background first - below is a high-level view of my profile:

- GMAT: 720 (Q48/V40/IR6)
- 8 years of total work XP, currently at a T2 consulting firm (recently promoted to manager)
- Very unique/under-represented nationality but also a US national so I won't have any visa issues
- I have a pretty unique background and post-MBA story crafted
- University GPA: 3.2 (public university in Florida, decent ranking)

Given the basics above, I think I have a pretty good shot to get into a top tier program. Now with that said, I have five weeks to go until R2 deadlines and I'm just barely getting started on my apps (long story but not important to this discussion).

My initial school plan was as follows:
-Long-shots: HBS, CBS
-Realistic target: LBS
-Fallback: IESE

Having spoken to friends who have applied to MBA programs in recent years, it seems a 2-3 week period is required per application to really ensure you're submitting a quality app.

Is it in any way realistic for me to push to apply to all four of the schools on my list within a 5-week period or should I sacrifice 1-2 to ensure I submit my best possible apps?

Would appreciate any advice - thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Love the advice given by MBAPrepCoach. So realistic
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: I need some advice on my current situation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thank you Namita! <3 MBADecoder

MBADecoder wrote:
Love the advice given by MBAPrepCoach. So realistic
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The key to your acceleration is a strong initial brainstorm process around your professional and personal background from all the key lenses that matter to strong applications. It's a intense process that takes a 2-3 days but it yields an incredible amount of usefully broken up content that maps seamlessly into each element of the application: personal brand development, essay answers, recommender questions, video essay content and interview prep.

This approach is more efficient (3 schools applications take 1/2 the time and 1/3 the cost if coached) and number of iterations for content drops dramatically. Creating consistency around a core brand story is made much easier by having a 360 on your background from the lenses that matter to AdComms.

If you're interested in learning about brainstorm based accelerated applications, we can do a FREE 1st Brainstorm Session
GMAT Club Bot