Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [49]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Identifying Subject & Verb in a Sentence [#permalink]
Help! Please help me identifying the Subject and Verb of the following sentence

LONG after the dust settles in Iowa — and New Hampshire, and even the 2016 campaign itself — one question will remain: Why, after decades of supporting the liberal and conservative establishments, did the white middle-class abandon them? (A extract from NYT).

How to master S V identification in complex sentences? I have completely studied the rules but still lack the confidence to put them to practice in long sentences. Can you please suggest me a resource where I can get practice and master identification of SV pairs in GMAT type questions?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Identifying Subject & Verb in a Sentence [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi DBM,

You'll likely get a much bigger response if you post this question the SC sub-Forum here:

gmat-sentence-correction-sc-138/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
gargmanu wrote:
Hi,

I know definition of a subject & verb. But I am find it difficult to identify correct subject and verb in a sentence (implementing definition correctly). Can some one provide me guidance/tips, how to best identify subject and verb in a sentence. Due to this I am getting SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT problems incorrect most of the time.

Thanks for you help.

Hi Manu, the key actually is to find out the subject and a subject is defined as the doer of the verb. So, from the intended meaning of the sentence, you need to find who the doer of the verb is.

If that doer turns out to be singular, it means that the subject is singular (and hence you need to choose singular verb); else the subject is plural (and hence you need to choose plural verb).

Perhaps you already know this but the complexities are tripping you off. In that case, please PM me your mail-id and I will be happy to send the entire Subject-Verb agreement chapter from our book, by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
DBM wrote:
Help! Please help me identifying the Subject and Verb of the following sentence

Long after the dust settles in Iowa — and New Hampshire, and even the 2016 campaign itself — one question will remain: Why, after decades of supporting the liberal and conservative establishments, did the white middle-class abandon them? (A extract from NYT).

How to master S V identification in complex sentences? I have completely studied the rules but still lack the confidence to put them to practice in long sentences. Can you please suggest me a resource where I can get practice and master identification of SV pairs in GMAT type questions?

Dear DBM,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, this sentence from the NYT is somewhat colloquial and catchy. It is not an academic sentence. The NYT used to have exceptionally high standards, but in these rough times for newspapers, apparently even the finest are pandering to low tastes in writing.

The sentence begins with a long adverbial clause, a verb-modifying clause:
Long after the dust settles in Iowa—and New Hampshire, and even the 2016 campaign itself—
The word "after" is a subordinate conjunction, which begins a subordinate clause. It's extremely important to recognize subordinate conjunctions, because they help you distinguish the subordinate clauses from the independent clause.
The word "long" is an adverb, modifying the clause beginning with "after."
The word "after" is a subordinate conjunction that begins a subordinate clause.
The words "the dust" = subject of the subordinate clause
The word "settles" = the verb of the subordinate clause
Then the word "in" begins a prepositional phrase that has one object, "Iowa," and then additional objects in parallel between the dashes. The prepositional phrase is also an adverbial phrase, a verb-modifying phrase: it tells us metaphorically "where" the dust settles.

That entire first part of the sentence is a long subordinate clause that is a verb-modifier for the main verb. It answers the question "when?" which is an adverbial question.

Then, we get to the relatively short independent clause, the heart of the sentence:
"one question will remain"
Main Subject = "one question"
Main Verb = "will remain" (future tense)

Then, there's a colon. One use of the colon is to identify an element mentioned in the first half of the sentence. We mentioned "one question." The part after the colon identifies this question. This question is a complete sentence on its own.
"Why, after decades of supporting the liberal and conservative establishments, did the white middle-class abandon them?"
The word "why" is an interrogative adverb, that is, a "question-starting" word

The part set apart in commas are just two prepositional phrases. The words "after" and "of" are prepositions, and each begins a prepositional phrase. Notice: like many other words, the word "after" can be either a preposition or a subordinate conjunction, depending on context. The first preposition phrase is in the simple form of [preposition] + [noun] = "after decades"
The second prepositional phrase is trickier, because the object is not a simple noun: the object is a gerund phrase. The gerund "supporting" has a long direct object, "the liberal and conservative establishments."
This pair of prepositional phrases form another adverbial phrase, a verb-modifying phrase, that answers the question "when?"

After the commas, we get to the heart of the question:
did the white middle-class abandon them
The main subject of the question "the white middle-class"
The main verb of the question: "did . . . abandon"---auxiliary verb at the beginning of the clause, as is typical in a question.
Direct object: "them" (Pronoun whose antecedent = "the liberal and conservative establishments")

My friend, it is not enough to study just nouns and verb. You need to be able to recognize different types of clauses, as well as gerunds, infinitives, and participles. Perhaps most difficult is that virtually any structure can be nested inside another structure.

I would say that many students find that when they purchase Magoosh and watch all the SC video lessons, they have a much better idea of how sentences fit together. That's what I would recommend. Here's a sample lesson:
Substantive Clauses

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hello everyone,

Need help in understanding how does the first part underlined not have a main verb? My understanding is that "surge" and "drop" are verbs.

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [2]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM