It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IELTS Academic vs General

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
IELTS Academic vs General [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 10:42
Hi
I recently took the IELTS general test for immigration related purposes. Would this satisfy INSEAD (and other schools in Europe)'s language requirement or should I take an academic test?

Cheers
Director
Director
S
Reviews Badge
Re: IELTS Academic vs General [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 10:52
NO it would not suffice.
The difficulty of the writing and reading sections of both the formats of the test is very vast.For the general test it is easy,whereas for academic it is on the tougher side.
It is clearly mentioned that general IELTS is only for immigration of low skilled workers.
On the other hand the academic IELTS is used exclusively for education purposes (like applying for business schools)
Intern
Intern
IELTS Academic vs General [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 21:05
rhine29388 wrote:
NO it would not suffice.
The difficulty of the writing and reading sections of both the formats of the test is very vast.For the general test it is easy,whereas for academic it is on the tougher side.
It is clearly mentioned that general IELTS is only for immigration of low skilled workers.
On the other hand the academic IELTS is used exclusively for education purposes (like applying for business schools)

Thanks for the response.

To provide a little more context: I scored 8.5/9.0 in my IELTS general test. I also have a TOEFL (taken in 2011 - score 114/120) and a Masters degree from the United States, and worked in the US for three years after my MS graduation (from 2014-2017). I will also be taking the DELF French certification exam for A2 level certification (required as an exit language requirement from INSEAD).

Would it still be required to retake a TOEFL / take the IELTS academic test?
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 00:40
vidyuthanand90 wrote:
rhine29388 wrote:
NO it would not suffice.

Thanks for the response.

To provide a little more context: I scored 8.5/9.0 in my IELTS general test. I also have a TOEFL (taken in 2011 - score 114/120) and a Masters degree from the United States, and worked in the US for three years after my MS graduation (from 2014-2017). I will also be taking the DELF French certification exam for A2 level certification (required as an exit language requirement from INSEAD).

You should qualify for a waiver. Read the instructions given on INSEAD's website:
You can also demonstrate fluency in English with a university degree (a minimum of one full-time academic year with a diploma received from that host university) where all courses were taught exclusively in English. (An exchange programme does not qualify.) If your university degree was exclusively taught in English but in a non-English speaking country, please make sure that your transcripts clearly mention the language of instruction is English to complete your application

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 01:44
MBADecoder wrote:
vidyuthanand90 wrote:
rhine29388 wrote:
NO it would not suffice.

Thanks for the response.

You should qualify for a waiver. Read the instructions given on INSEAD's website:
You can also demonstrate fluency in English with a university degree (a minimum of one full-time academic year with a diploma received from that host university) where all courses were taught exclusively in English. (An exchange programme does not qualify.) If your university degree was exclusively taught in English but in a non-English speaking country, please make sure that your transcripts clearly mention the language of instruction is English to complete your application

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 01:50
A masters degree from US should suffice a waiver for the IELTS.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum

If you like my posts, please give kudos. Help me unlock gmatclub tests.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 05:31
vidyuthanand90
I agree with what mkrishnabdrr has said. Additionally, if you are from India you can do one of the below ( as applicable)

a) Response taken from another post in this site from a person from India who wrote to INSEAD about English language requirements and got the below response.

"If you have completed your university degree in India, you only need your transcript as proof as Admissions Team understands that English is the medium of instruction across all universities in India. Taking an English test is not necessary."

OR

b) I have spoken to a current student who said the CBSE 10th records where English is a graded subject was submitted and accepted by INSEAD as proof.

OR

c) If your undergraduate degree was in English, you can request for a medium of instruction certificate from your undergraduate university and submit the same to INSEAD.

If you still have any doubts, I would suggest you to directly contact the INSEAD admissions for your particular case before re-taking any English language tests.
Re: IELTS Academic vs General   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 05:31

IELTS Academic vs General

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap