Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied to IESE and got shortlisted for an interview. Anyone know anything about this school They offer excellent exchange programs as well. Am so glad to have this viable choices outside the US. I did my undergrad in the US, so didnt even consider it for my MBA.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You might want to ask our member "Carsen" for IESE as he was admitted there. Check for his post in the "share your b-school experience" forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Tareks

Congrats on the interview call from LBS and IESE. Both are extremely good schools. And also congrats on the admission to the 2 top canadian schools.

To answer which one is better, it really depends your post-mba goals. If you want to live in Canada, you should pick the top Canadian schools (IVEY) as top firms from Canada would be buzzing there during the career days. They would not or may not go to LBS or IESE. IF you want to work in Europe, then both LBS and IESE are good fit.

LBS is well know all over the world. IESE is very well know in Europe and latin america. In asia and usa, IESE is not that well know. And they are working hard to market themselves and beating some of the top US schools to climb the ranks. :-)

IESE is very good for General managment, Finance and Entrepreneurship.
LBS is very good for International business and Finance.

If I were you and If I were to stay in Canada, I would choose Ivey. And If I would want to work in Europe, then I would choose LBS/IESE. Man, LBS does have a high fees, but thats like a premium. Both LBS and IESE take you the same place, but if driving a Merc and driving a BMW makes a huge difference to you, then LBS :-D . If not IESE (An unofficial welcome to IESE from my side). The reason I chose IESE was the method of teaching. I wanted a 2 year MBA as I may change my discipline, as well as the Case-study method appeals me. I am 33 years, hence a lecture class will be like watching a boring movie, rather case-study method would be like watching JFK- The movie. Check out these things and give points..you will get the result....(by the way, I loved JFK - movie)

1. Where you want to work
2. Reputation of the school
3. Method of teaching
4. Cost of living and fees
5. Employability (Assistance from the career centre)
6. Alumni network

WHY I CHOOSE IESE

International, the reputation, the bi-lingual, career prospects, the place to live (bercelona), and the people in iese were very good from the start and very co-operative.

I wish you good luck. If you need any specific information about IESE, feel free to ask. I shall more than glad to help you in taking a decision. Good luck brother.

Regards
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Employment stats for 2004: https://www.iese.edu/en/files/6_6826.pdf
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the tips, Carsen very insightful and helpful. Choosing the right MBA is a life altering experience so am still quite nervous at this stage. My strategy is not to choose between Canada and Europe per se, but to put a deposit down on a Canadian school and hold out for Europe. Since you seem quite informed about Canadian MBAs as well why did you choose Ivey hands down over the other two schools. I recently talked to couple of people in TO and Montreal, both in finance/investment and they said that Ivey had issues the past few years as they fired their dean, some grad took over and they have been desperate lately. They are advertising like crazy, while Rotman never did. Also Rotman is in TO, the third largest financial city in North America, so being there will give me easy access to company HQ etc...

For Europe, yes, to be honest if I get into LBS its going to be hard to turn it down as am interested in International Business. Am Lebanese Canadian, have lived in ten countries, talk 3 languages and looking to learn a 4th (thats why IESE is appealing for Spanish). So I am very much a global person and want to keep my options open for jobs, so LBS is my number one choice. I might be working in Europe, but might not. I am sure if I graduate from LBS, TO firms wont mind hiring me. LBS is rated amont the Harvards, MITs etc...IESE also belongs to that league but as u said more known in Europe. Both interviews will happen next week so the decisions should come at similar times. However, meantime the important thing is to put a deposit down on Canadian school to ensure my place there. Paul is pushing for Ivey, I like the school- the case study approach but everyone else is saying Rotman. tough choices have to be made and quick!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi

I would like to quote here....

"Paul is pushing for Ivey, I like the school- the case study approach but everyone else is saying Rotman." (Hey Paul, bro....do not get me wrong...ok?)

Decision cannot be based on these comments :-D . Do not get me wrong. The best is to ask the school to give you references of students who are currently doing their final year, as well those who have passed out. 3 to 4 references will make a good deal. They will for sure provide with the information.

Talk to the students and the statistic will make it easy for you to take decision. As for me, choosing among Ivey and Rotman....Ivey for me. Case study method and reputation, as well as the alumni.

Anything else?.. feel free to ask.
Take care brother, good luck in ur interview.

Regards

Originally posted by carsen on 08 Jun 2005, 00:47.
Last edited by carsen on 08 Jun 2005, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree with Carsen, my words only reflect my personal opinion and the choice is yours. The only reason I pushed IVEY was because you mentioned your interest in entrepreneurship/international business. I mean IVEY also has very strong ties with TO companies and it is where most IVEY grads end up after graduation anyways.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
dont get me wrong here. I am not basing my whole future career on Pauls words!! I think Paul is a smart cookie, but obviously there are many more factors and people am talking to. Just trying to get a concensus here about the best Canadian choice. Since I visited ROtman twice but not Ivey, Paul is able to balance my views a bit. Also i was thinking along the same lines since my interests arent necessarily finance based, IVEY has more experience in management/entrepreneurship and has more international exchange programs. However, a program that has lost its zest and is going down can also be problematic
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Out of interest, Carsen, did you look at ESADE vs IESE, and what decided it for you (length of program?)
Steve
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Steven

My apologies for the late reply, as I was on the move. To answer your question, yes i did look at ESADE and IESE. Its the extensive case study method and the reputation of IESE that placed it above other schools. ESADE has a lovely program 'LEAD' and I have no doubts about the crediblity if ESADE as I have seen a living example, a output of ESADE who has made it quite big in life. But when it comes to reputation of the school in europe, IESE takes over and even the ESADE students will agree to that.

I hope this helped.

Regards
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: IESE [#permalink]
EIU ranked IESE 1st overall for 2009 - quite impressive!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
North America events list: https://www.iese.edu/en/MBAPrograms/Prog ... NA&lang=en

I'm heading to the one in Boston on September 23rd.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Wharton, Stern, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Notre Dame; IE, IESE, ESADE
Send PM
Can anyone comment on GPA range? Is GPA a huge factor in IESE's admissions decisions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am a financial technology associate(senior developer) with about 6 years of professional experience.Currently,I am working out of New Delhi for a London-based company - Markit. My post-MBA goal is to get into internet/digital media industry in the functional areas of business development and corporate strategy.

Do you think Barcelona provides a good setting for my career ambitions?

I've heard it is a hidden jewel in the not so vibrant Spanish economic climate but I don't have much inside information on this.

Any thoughts/perspectives will be most welcome. Esp from Carsen.
GMAT Club Bot