GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 12:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar

IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Location: Belgium
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.1
IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 09:48
Hi guys,

I have prepared everything to apply to HEC Paris, even the referees have submitted their recommendations, but I am hesitating whether to apply or not. I have just to pay the 200€ application fees and hit the button submit. There is a deadline tonight at midnight.
I have read a lot about HEC - IESE comparaisons... but can’t reach a firm decision.
Any idea on this ?
I know that this is my decision, just I need another opinion :)

GMAT 710 Q50-V35
Background : Finance, engineering, risk management in investment banking
Post MBA goal : consulting - staying in finance with managerial role (50-50)

Admitted to IESE with 30k€ scholarship.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Location: Belgium
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.1
Re: IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 19:36
1
Updated situation : I got admitted to HEC Paris and now I have to decide between HEC and IESE. No one can help? :cry:
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 77
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 00:12
1
Seems that IESE might be a better fit? Strong consulting placement, I'd argue a broader reach, and 30k couldn't hurt. On top of that, It is usually higher in rankings.

What would HEC have to do to make you choose it over IESE? Full ride? Doesn't happen very often with European universities.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Location: Belgium
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.1
Re: IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 04:32
rtbs15 wrote:

What would HEC have to do to make you choose it over IESE? Full ride? Doesn't happen very often with European universities.


1. The salaries seems higher with HEC than with IESE. But this comparison is a bit biased because almost 1/3 of IESE salaries are based on Spain placements that are known to be lower than average. But this my interpretation, not sure about it.
2. HEC has a stronger brand name in some countries (France, obviously, North Africa...)
3. I speak French fluently, I have an intermediate level in Spanish and I want to learn some German for family reasons. At HEC it seems that besides Spanish, there no other language learning options.

These points answer your question, but I have also many points against HEC, on top of the lower rankings. I have heard from student and alumni (one of my interviewer) that there are serious problems of organisation, some teachers are really bad and it is enough to study 2 hour per week to have an almost 4 in GPA. The Career Service at HEC compared to that of IESE.

To sum up, the only strong point that would make me choose HEC over IESE is the salary after gratudation.

But I feel like I am missing something in my comparison, that’s why I am asking for your help guys of you have another point of view.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 77
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 05:51
chanassss wrote:
rtbs15 wrote:

What would HEC have to do to make you choose it over IESE? Full ride? Doesn't happen very often with European universities.


1. The salaries seems higher with HEC than with IESE. But this comparison is a bit biased because almost 1/3 of IESE salaries are based on Spain placements that are known to be lower than average. But this my interpretation, not sure about it.
2. HEC has a stronger brand name in some countries (France, obviously, North Africa...)
3. I speak French fluently, I have an intermediate level in Spanish and I want to learn some German for family reasons. At HEC it seems that besides Spanish, there no other language learning options.

These points answer your question, but I have also many points against HEC, on top of the lower rankings. I have heard from student and alumni (one of my interviewer) that there are serious problems of organisation, some teachers are really bad and it is enough to study 2 hour per week to have an almost 4 in GPA. The Career Service at HEC compared to that of IESE.

To sum up, the only strong point that would make me choose HEC over IESE is the salary after gratudation.

But I feel like I am missing something in my comparison, that’s why I am asking for your help guys of you have another point of view.

Posted from my mobile device


Think salaries are weighted heavily on the France factor for HEC, and the Spain/LA factor for IESE. This cn only tell you that grads are more likely to look there, not that the doors of France/UK are closed to them. I'd argue you'd be better off going to IESE and looking for jobs in the locations you want from Spain. After all, Paris is a 1hr flight away.

On the brand reputation, you should do your assessment on the location you want to be in. If it is North Africa (don't know, just paraphrasing you), go for HEC. If it is London/Francfort, I would choose IESE.

Think they are both good schools, so the good thing is that you won't regret your choice for sure.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Location: Belgium
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.1
Re: IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 11:54
1
Thanks for your answer rtbs15
It is really a tough decision! At the moment I am like 60% for IESE 40% for HEC but didn’t reach a ferme decision yet!
All opinions are welcome

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Location: Belgium
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.1
Re: IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 10:42
Update on my statue : to make thinks more complicated I got today the decision about scholarships at HEC, I got 14000€ (compared to 30000€ at IESE, but IESE has also a higher tuitions).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.45
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 21:37
I just read your post for the first time. So which one did you choose? Also, which consultant did you go for?

chanassss wrote:
Update on my statue : to make thinks more complicated I got today the decision about scholarships at HEC, I got 14000€ (compared to 30000€ at IESE, but IESE has also a higher tuitions).

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply) &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 21:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

IESE 30k€ vs HEC Paris (still to apply)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.