GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 27 May 2018, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45498
If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 23:18
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (03:14) correct 25% (02:06) wrong based on 114 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 65
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 00:51
3^4*10^4= 3^6x
Take root of both side
900=3^3x...equ1

Now we have to solve for (3^(x-1))^3= (3^3x)/3^3 ....equ2
From equation 1 and 2, answer is 100/3.
"B"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: IESE '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.72
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 02:41
3^6x = 810,000;
3^3x = (810,000)^1/2 = 900

3^(3x-3)= (900/3^3) = 100/3
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 04:44
Given \(3^(6x) = 810,000\)
which is simplified as

\((3^(3x))^2=9^2 * 10^4\)

\(3^(3x) = 9 * 10^2\)=\(3^2*10^2\)

hence, \((3^(x-1))^3=((3^x)/3)^3=3^(3x)/3^3\)
=\((3^2 * 10^2)/(3^3)\)
=100/3

Answer: 100/3
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8078
Location: Pune, India
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 06:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
If \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), what is the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\)?

A. 10/3

B. 100/3

C. 200/3

D. 150

E. 300




\((3^{x−1})^3 = 3^{3x}/27\)

We know
\(3^{6x} = 810,000\)
So \(3^{3x} = 900\) (taking square root on both sides)

We get \(3^{3x}/27 = 900/27 = 100/3\)

Answer (B)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 2638
Location: United States (CA)
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 18:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
If \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), what is the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\)?

A. 10/3

B. 100/3

C. 200/3

D. 150

E. 300


Let’s first re-express (3^(x - 1))^3, noting that when we have an exponent raised to an exponent, we multiply the two exponents. Thus, (3^(x - 1))^3 = 3^(3x - 3) = (3^3x)(3^-3) = (3^3x)/(3^3), so really we need to determine the value of 3^3x/27.

Simplifying the given equation, we have:

3^6x = 810,000

Taking the square root of both sides, we have:

3^3x = 900

Thus, (3^3x)/(27) = 900/27 = 100/3.

Answer: B
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 09:04
Hi bunnel,

I understood how this problem is solved, but I’m confused with the question given . How can anything to the power of 3 will result in multiples of 10?
I mean how can 3^6x = 810000


Bunuel wrote:
If \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), what is the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\)?

A. 10/3

B. 100/3

C. 200/3

D. 150

E. 300
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45498
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 09:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gvrk_77 wrote:
Hi bunnel,

I understood how this problem is solved, but I’m confused with the question given . How can anything to the power of 3 will result in multiples of 10?
I mean how can 3^6x = 810000


Bunuel wrote:
If \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), what is the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\)?

A. 10/3

B. 100/3

C. 200/3

D. 150

E. 300


You are forgetting that x might not be an integer. So, \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\) for some irrational x, which is approximately 2.0639...
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 11:25
Thanks Bunnel.

Then I think in question they should have mention as approximate value, because it won’t be terminating
Why I was so skeptical is that I have written 810000 = 3^4 * 10^4,, and from here I was trying to equate with 3^6x and I’m going nowhere

Bunuel wrote:
gvrk_77 wrote:
Hi bunnel,

I understood how this problem is solved, but I’m confused with the question given . How can anything to the power of 3 will result in multiples of 10?
I mean how can 3^6x = 810000


Bunuel wrote:
If \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), what is the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\)?

A. 10/3

B. 100/3

C. 200/3

D. 150

E. 300


You are forgetting that x might not be an integer. So, \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\) for some irrational x, which is approximately 2.0639...
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45498
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 11:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gvrk_77 wrote:
Thanks Bunnel.

Then I think in question they should have mention as approximate value, because it won’t be terminating
Why I was so skeptical is that I have written 810000 = 3^4 * 10^4,, and from here I was trying to equate with 3^6x and I’m going nowhere


No, you are wrong again. For the value of x, for which \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), is true, \((3^{(x−1)})^3\) turns out to be EXACTLY 100/3. You should study the solutions above to understand that we can get the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\), without getting the value of x.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Re: If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 11:55
I have no problem with the answer, my only problem is with the IF condition. I’m solving for what EXACT value of x wil be 3^6x= 81000.00



Bunuel wrote:
gvrk_77 wrote:
Thanks Bunnel.

Then I think in question they should have mention as approximate value, because it won’t be terminating
Why I was so skeptical is that I have written 810000 = 3^4 * 10^4,, and from here I was trying to equate with 3^6x and I’m going nowhere


No, you are wrong again. For the value of x, for which \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), is true, \((3^{(x−1)})^3\) turns out to be EXACTLY 100/3. You should study the solutions above to understand that we can get the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\), without getting the value of x.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45498
If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 12:01
gvrk_77 wrote:
I have no problem with the answer, my only problem is with the IF condition. I’m solving for what EXACT value of x wil be 3^6x= 81000.00



Bunuel wrote:
gvrk_77 wrote:
Thanks Bunnel.

Then I think in question they should have mention as approximate value, because it won’t be terminating
Why I was so skeptical is that I have written 810000 = 3^4 * 10^4,, and from here I was trying to equate with 3^6x and I’m going nowhere


No, you are wrong again. For the value of x, for which \(3^{(6x)} = 810,000\), is true, \((3^{(x−1)})^3\) turns out to be EXACTLY 100/3. You should study the solutions above to understand that we can get the value of \((3^{(x−1)})^3\), without getting the value of x.


Not following you. Again, there exist some irrational x, for which \(3^{(6x)}\) is EXACTLY 810,000. For that x, \((3^{(x−1)})^3\) is EXACTLY 100/3.

Similar questions to practice:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-3-6x-8-10 ... 98777.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-2-8x-6400 ... 34587.html

8. Exponents and Roots of Numbers



Check below for more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3?   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 12:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If 3^(6x) = 810,000, what is the value of (3^(x−1))^3?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.