Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 21:07 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 21:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1426
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [14]
Given Kudos: 1228
Location: India
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11468
Own Kudos [?]: 34263 [7]
Given Kudos: 322
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1426
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Location: India
Send PM
Board of Directors
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Status:QA & VA Forum Moderator
Posts: 6049
Own Kudos [?]: 4763 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
2
Bookmarks
Vyshak wrote:
If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing zeros does n have?

A) 94

B) 95

C) 96

D) 97

E) 98

Question: Self Made
OA after 12 hours


n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500

n =5 (1*2*3*4*5.......100)

n = 5 * 100!

No of zeroes in 100! is 24

100/5 = 20
20/5 = 4

No of 2's in 100! is 97

100/2 = 50
50/5 = 25
25/2 = 12
12/ 2 = 6
6/2 =3
3/1 = 1

Now the fun begins

100! has 24 5's so it will have 24 trailing zeros, there is also one additional 5 and 73 two's left, definitely the blue part ca form at least one 0

Hence total number of zeroes will be 24 + 1 = 25 trailing zeroes...
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11468
Own Kudos [?]: 34263 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Abhishek009 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing zeros does n have?

A) 94

B) 95

C) 96

D) 97

E) 98

Question: Self Made
OA after 12 hours


n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500

n =5 (1*2*3*4*5.......100)


n = 5 * 100!

No of zeroes in 100! is 24

100/5 = 20
20/5 = 4

No of 2's in 100! is 97

100/2 = 50
50/5 = 25
25/2 = 12
12/ 2 = 6
6/2 =3
3/1 = 1

Now the fun begins

100! has 24 5's so it will have 24 trailing zeros, there is also one additional 5 and 73 two's left, definitely the blue part ca form at least one 0

Hence total number of zeroes will be 24 + 1 = 25 trailing zeroes...



Hi,
you have gone wrong in highlighted portion

n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500
is NOT equal to n =5 (1*2*3*4*5.......100) BUT 5^100*(1*2*...100).. since you are taking out 5 from each term..
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Hi Chetan,

How did you go from 5^100*100! to 97?

Thanks,
Diego.
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94302
Own Kudos [?]: 640206 [0]
Given Kudos: 84576
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Expert Reply
dordonez12 wrote:
Hi Chetan,

How did you go from 5^100*100! to 97?

Thanks,
Diego.


Theory on Trailing Zeros: everything-about-factorials-on-the-gmat-85592.html


Check Trailing Zeros Questions and Power of a number in a factorial questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11468
Own Kudos [?]: 34263 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
dordonez12 wrote:
Hi Chetan,

How did you go from 5^100*100! to 97?

Thanks,
Diego.


Hi,
bunuel has already given you a link to check on.
Otherwiseto check zeroes in th eend of a number, we require to know how many 10s are there in it..
400 has two 10s, 10000 has four 10s and so on..
Now what is 100!-- It is 1*2*3*4*...*99*100 -- product of all numbers till 100..
How many 10s will it have.. will depend on number of 2s and 5s it will have..
we have seen that it has excess 5s in 5^100, so we check for number of 2s..
\([\frac{100}{2}]+[\frac{100}{4}]+[\frac{100}{8}]+[\frac{100}{16}]+[\frac{100}{32}]+[\frac{100}{64}] = 50+25+12+6+3+1 = 97..\)

Now let me explain you withslightly smaller number..
say we are to find 2s in 15!..
\([\frac{15}{2}]+[\frac{15}{4}]+[\frac{15}{8}]+[\frac{15}{16}]\)
Now 15/2 gives us how many multiple of 2s are there till 15 so 15/2 = 7.5 , we take only integer value , so 7 what are they 2,4,6,8,10,12,14--7 values
now 15/4 gives us those number of 2s that add on due to multiples of 4; 15/4 = 3.75 what are they - 4,8,12-- 3 values
similarly number of multile of 8s, since they have three 2s- 8 = 2*2*2- we have counted two 2s through above method, so 15/8 = 1.8 , so 1 value- 8
beyond that 15/16 = 0.9, since it does not hane any 16s in it..
so TOTAL 2s = SUM of all the above
Alum
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2272
Own Kudos [?]: 3195 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Hey Vyshak and Everyone ...!!!
I have some serious concerns about this question.
I have seen many questions on the gmatclub to calculate the trailing zeros which can be done via easy manipulation of the number of two's and five's ad the numbers involved were small.
Don't you think The Formula you guys use for calculating the number of trailing zeros is a bit out of concept here ; Since the numbers involved are always small.
Do you really think GMAT will ask us this ?
I am seriously asking question as if the answer is YES then i might well learn the formula stated above .

Regards
StoneCold
Current Student
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1426
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Location: India
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
stonecold wrote:
Hey Vyshak and Everyone ...!!!
I have some serious concerns about this question.
I have seen many questions on the gmatclub to calculate the trailing zeros which can be done via easy manipulation of the number of two's and five's ad the numbers involved were small.
Don't you think The Formula you guys use for calculating the number of trailing zeros is a bit out of concept here ; Since the numbers involved are always small.
Do you really think GMAT will ask us this ?
I am seriously asking question as if the answer is YES then i might well learn the formula stated above .

Regards
StoneCold


Hi,

This concept tests the 2's and 5's required to form zeros in a given expression and I don't see it as a formula. Its always better to understand the question and logic behind it rather than to learn the logic as a trick. This question can be solved in under 2 mins and can very well be tested in exam.
Alum
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2272
Own Kudos [?]: 3195 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Vyshak wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Hey Vyshak and Everyone ...!!!
I have some serious concerns about this question.
I have seen many questions on the gmatclub to calculate the trailing zeros which can be done via easy manipulation of the number of two's and five's ad the numbers involved were small.
Don't you think The Formula you guys use for calculating the number of trailing zeros is a bit out of concept here ; Since the numbers involved are always small.
Do you really think GMAT will ask us this ?
I am seriously asking question as if the answer is YES then i might well learn the formula stated above .

Regards
StoneCold


Hi,

This concept tests the 2's and 5's required to form zeros in a given expression and I don't see it as a formula. Its always better to understand the question and logic behind it rather than to learn the logic as a trick. This question can be solved in under 2 mins and can very well be tested in exam.



No offence I still disagree :)
Anyways Please Provide an alternative solution for people who don't want to use the formula
I tried counting two's and zero's
Now without using the formula - How can someone count the number of two's between 1 and 100 in two minutes?

When its a small umber then counting the number of two;s is easy
Any other way out?


Regards
StoneCold
SVP
SVP
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1793
Own Kudos [?]: 1378 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:
No offence I still disagree :)
Anyways Please Provide an alternative solution for people who don't want to use the formula
I tried counting two's and zero's
Now without using the formula - How can someone count the number of two's between 1 and 100 in two minutes?

When its a small umber then counting the number of two;s is easy
Any other way out?

Regards
StoneCold


Hi StoneCold,

Whenever I type a reply to you, I am always afraid of that STUNNER :D

About the question, yes you cannot calculate the number of 2's in between 1 and 100 in under 2 minutes,
That is the precise reason why you need to remember the formula.

And, yes this can very well be tested on the GMAT.

Originally posted by OptimusPrepJanielle on 03 May 2016, 00:16.
Last edited by OptimusPrepJanielle on 03 May 2016, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11468
Own Kudos [?]: 34263 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Hey Vyshak and Everyone ...!!!
I have some serious concerns about this question.
I have seen many questions on the gmatclub to calculate the trailing zeros which can be done via easy manipulation of the number of two's and five's ad the numbers involved were small.
Don't you think The Formula you guys use for calculating the number of trailing zeros is a bit out of concept here ; Since the numbers involved are always small.
Do you really think GMAT will ask us this ?
I am seriously asking question as if the answer is YES then i might well learn the formula stated above .

Regards
StoneCold


Hi,

This concept tests the 2's and 5's required to form zeros in a given expression and I don't see it as a formula. Its always better to understand the question and logic behind it rather than to learn the logic as a trick. This question can be solved in under 2 mins and can very well be tested in exam.



No offence I still disagree :)
Anyways Please Provide an alternative solution for people who don't want to use the formula
I tried counting two's and zero's
Now without using the formula - How can someone count the number of two's between 1 and 100 in two minutes?

When its a small umber then counting the number of two;s is easy
Any other way out?


Regards
StoneCold


Hi,

I would say even if I do not know the formula, I will get to that by just moving on because formula comes out of the approach itself..
lets count 2s in 1 to 100-- it could be in the form of 2s, 4s,8s etc..
how may multiples of 2 in 100 = 100/2 = 50..
how many multiples of 4 in 100 = 100/4 = 25....Actually its 25 of 4s which means 50 of 2s, but 25 of these have been counted in multiples of 2..
how many multiples of 8 in 100 = 100/8 = 12.5....so 12
how many multiples of 16 in 100 = 100/8 = 6....so 6
how many multiples of 32 in 100 = 100/32 = 3....so 3
how many multiples of 64 in 100 = 100/64 = 1....so 1.

Add all of them to get your answer..
the formula is actually the addition of the step wise approach you take to find the number of 2s..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 269
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
=5^100×100!
In 100! There are
50 multiples of 2
25 multiples of 4
12 multiples of 8
6 multiples of 16
3 multiples of 32
1 multiple of 64
So total 97, 2's are there .
So number of trailing zero's are 97 as number of 5's are more then 97.
Option D is the answer

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Joined: 02 Mar 2020
Posts: 55
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Hint : to find out the no of zeroes , count nos of 2s and 5s

Take either of the nos of 2s or 5s whichever is minimum .

Make the problem statement in a factorial

then divide either with 2 or 5 (whichever is minimum )
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33955
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If n = 5 * 10 * 15 * 20 * 25 ........... * 500, how many trailing [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94302 posts