GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 17:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been plac

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been plac  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 08:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:35) correct 25% (00:33) wrong based on 63 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been placed on the shelf?

A. have been cataloged
B. would have been cataloged
C. was cataloged
D. were cataloged
E. had been cataloged

Source: Test Prep Review

For all GMAT Flashcards => Click here
CrackVerbal Verbal Expert
G
Re: If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been plac  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 21:07
Quote:
If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been placed on the shelf?

A. have been cataloged
B. would have been cataloged
C. was cataloged
D. were cataloged
E. had been cataloged

The right answer here is D. This question contains the subjunctive tense, which is used to talk about hypothetical events like this one. "If the books...." suggests that the action has not actually happened. In this case, we use "were" regardless of the subject.

One trap answer might be E. If the 'outcome' action (placing on the shelf) were in the past, it would be correct to use "had been catalogued". It is in the present however, so D wins out here.

- Matoo
G
Re: If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been plac  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 06:25
If I consider the meaning, then, D is undoubtedly correct. But, I have a question here.
Why are we using past tense verb in "if clause", when the verb in the main clause is of present tense?
CrackVerbal Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 02:41
gvij2017

Quote:
If I consider the meaning, then, D is undoubtedly correct. But, I have a question here.
Why are we using past tense verb in "if clause", when the verb in the main clause is of present tense?

Hey this is a really good question! The action that has not occurred is in the present perfect. Since this is a single action that should have been a pre-requisite, it stands to reason that it would be in the past tense. In general, you should look to figure out the tense of a verb based on its relationship to the other actions in the sentence.

- Matoo

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 03:22
gvij2017 wrote:

Because there is phrase "last week" in this clause.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been plac   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2019, 03:22

If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been plac

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics