It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

if the length of each edge of the rectangular solid above is

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 108

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

if the length of each edge of the rectangular solid above is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 20:21
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

if the length of each edge of the rectangular solid above is an integer, then the sum of the lengths of all the solid is necessarily divisible by which of the following ?

1. 3
2. 4
3. 5
4. 7
5. 11

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 20:28
is there a diagram?

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 20:32
Not sure what the diagram provides in terms of info. The OA is either 3 or 4

we know that a cube has 12 sides, so

12*X(we know this is an integer)

i.e. 12 x 1=12
12 x 2 = 24
12 x 3 = 36

Based on what we know, either 3 or 4 can be divided into this number

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 04:48
A

3,4,5 --> 3+4+5=12 --> 3 or 4

5,12,13 --> 5+12+13=30--> 3 only

thus, A

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1868

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 08:46
I'm not sure why you're summing different numbers. The question states that this is a rectangular solid, and the dimensions do not have to follow typical 3-4-5, or 5-12-13 dimensions. We also don't know that the answer will be 3 or 4 because this does not say the rectangular solid is a cube. If it were a cube, then yes, the answer would certainly be 3 or 4, but without knowing that this is a cube, we can't know this for sure.

All information is Insufficent to answer this question.


rino wrote:
A

3,4,5 --> 3+4+5=12 --> 3 or 4

5,12,13 --> 5+12+13=30--> 3 only

thus, A

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 193

Kudos [?]: 132 [3], given: 0

Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:10
3
This post received
KUDOS
jallenmorris wrote:
I'm not sure why you're summing different numbers. The question states that this is a rectangular solid, and the dimensions do not have to follow typical 3-4-5, or 5-12-13 dimensions. We also don't know that the answer will be 3 or 4 because this does not say the rectangular solid is a cube. If it were a cube, then yes, the answer would certainly be 3 or 4, but without knowing that this is a cube, we can't know this for sure.

All information is Insufficent to answer this question.



rino wrote:
A

3,4,5 --> 3+4+5=12 --> 3 or 4

5,12,13 --> 5+12+13=30--> 3 only

thus, A


i guess q is asking for a cuboid hence the sum of all side will be

4(L+B+H)==> divissible by 4

Kudos [?]: 132 [3], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1868

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:26
That's a great point. I agree with your answer. It seems that it MIGHT ALSO be divisible by 3 if the cuboid turns out to be an actual cube with 6 equal sides (12 equal edges), but we know it MUST be divisble by 4 for the reason you mentioned.

Kudos.

hibloom wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
I'm not sure why you're summing different numbers. The question states that this is a rectangular solid, and the dimensions do not have to follow typical 3-4-5, or 5-12-13 dimensions. We also don't know that the answer will be 3 or 4 because this does not say the rectangular solid is a cube. If it were a cube, then yes, the answer would certainly be 3 or 4, but without knowing that this is a cube, we can't know this for sure.

All information is Insufficent to answer this question.



rino wrote:
A

3,4,5 --> 3+4+5=12 --> 3 or 4

5,12,13 --> 5+12+13=30--> 3 only

thus, A


i guess q is asking for a cuboid hence the sum of all side will be

4(L+B+H)==> divissible by 4

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2472

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 19

Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 21:43
blog wrote:
if the length of each edge of the rectangular solid above is an integer, then the sum of the lengths of all the solid is necessarily divisible by which of the following ?

1. 3
2. 4
3. 5
4. 7
5. 11


intresting question:

length = l
bredth = b
height = h

since the solid is a ractangular, sum = 4 h + 4 L + 4B = 4 (l + b + h)
so the sum should be divisible by 4 no matter the value of l, b, and h.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: length of cube ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 06:21
jallenmorris wrote:
I'm not sure why you're summing different numbers. The question states that this is a rectangular solid, and the dimensions do not have to follow typical 3-4-5, or 5-12-13 dimensions. We also don't know that the answer will be 3 or 4 because this does not say the rectangular solid is a cube. If it were a cube, then yes, the answer would certainly be 3 or 4, but without knowing that this is a cube, we can't know this for sure.

All information is Insufficent to answer this question.


rino wrote:
A

3,4,5 --> 3+4+5=12 --> 3 or 4

5,12,13 --> 5+12+13=30--> 3 only

thus, A


u're right, i red it wrong- i thought it was a triangular solid....

thanks, Rino

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: length of cube ?   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2008, 06:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

if the length of each edge of the rectangular solid above is

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.