GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 10 Jul 2016
Posts: 30
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 19:01
5
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (00:59) correct 51% (01:10) wrong based on 207 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If x<0, what is the value of \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4} + \sqrt{-x|x|}\)

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
User avatar
G
Status: Tutor - BrushMyQuant
Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Posts: 622
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 19:33
4
Top Contributor
2
Whenever we have absolute value question and the variable is given as negative (like x<0 in this case) then the easiest way to solve the problem is to
take x=-k (where k is positive), this will make opening absolute values easy

[(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2
= [((-k)-3)^4]^1/4 + (-(-k)|-k|)^1/2
= [(-(k+3))^4]^1/4 + ((k)|-k|)^1/2
= [(k+3)^4]^1/4 + ((k)(k))^1/2 [as k is positive so |-k| will be equal to k]
= (k+3) + (k^2)^1/2
= k+3 + k = 2k + 3
[x = -k => k = -x]
= 2(-x) + 3 = 3-2x
So, Answer is C
Hope it helps!


siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2

_________________

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

General Discussion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7199
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 19:36
4
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2



Hi

Best way is to substitute a value for X..
Let x be -2..
So [(-2-3)^4]^1/4+(-(-2)*|-2|)^1/2= ((-5)^4)^1/4+4^1/2=5+2=7..
Substitute in choices
. A.-3. ......NO
B. x+3. .....-2+3=1...NO
C. 3-2x. .....3-(2*-2)=3+4=7.. YES
D. 2x-3. .....2*-2-3=-7......NO
E. 2. .....NO

C
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52119
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 13:51
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 26 Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 20:36
1
chetan2u wrote:
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2



Hi

Best way is to substitute a value for X..
Let x be -2..
So [(-2-3)^4]^1/4+(-(-2)*|-2|)^1/2= ((-5)^4)^1/4+4^1/2=5+2=7..
Substitute in choices
. A.-3. ......NO
B. x+3. .....-2+3=1...NO
C. 3-2x. .....3-(2*-2)=3+4=7.. YES
D. 2x-3. .....2*-2-3=-7......NO
E. 2. .....NO

C


Hi,

Let me understand that why [(-2-3)^4]^1/4 = 5. I think that [(-5)^4]^1/4 should be -5
Current Student
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 264
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 10:09
1
abhishekmayank wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2



Hi

Best way is to substitute a value for X..
Let x be -2..
So [(-2-3)^4]^1/4+(-(-2)*|-2|)^1/2= ((-5)^4)^1/4+4^1/2=5+2=7..
Substitute in choices
. A.-3. ......NO
B. x+3. .....-2+3=1...NO
C. 3-2x. .....3-(2*-2)=3+4=7.. YES
D. 2x-3. .....2*-2-3=-7......NO
E. 2. .....NO

C


Hi,

Let me understand that why [(-2-3)^4]^1/4 = 5. I think that [(-5)^4]^1/4 should be -5

There are 2 rules Here.

1. General Rule of Thumb - Every Number, Positive or Negative, raised to an Even Power will give a Positive Number.

Here is the Mathematics of same:

\((-10)^2 = (-10)*(-10) = (-1)*(-1)*(10)*(10) = (1) * (100) = 100\)

2. Rule followed in GMAT

If \(x^2 = 16\)
x = -4 or +4

But \(\sqrt{16} = +4\)
_________________

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Apr 2017
Posts: 16
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 06:11
umg wrote:
abhishekmayank wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
[quote="siddharthsinha123"]If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2



Hi

Best way is to substitute a value for X..
Let x be -2..
So [(-2-3)^4]^1/4+(-(-2)*|-2|)^1/2= ((-5)^4)^1/4+4^1/2=5+2=7..
Substitute in choices
. A.-3. ......NO
B. x+3. .....-2+3=1...NO
C. 3-2x. .....3-(2*-2)=3+4=7.. YES
D. 2x-3. .....2*-2-3=-7......NO
E. 2. .....NO

C


Hi,

Let me understand that why [(-2-3)^4]^1/4 = 5. I think that [(-5)^4]^1/4 should be -5

There are 2 rules Here.

1. General Rule of Thumb - Every Number, Positive or Negative, raised to an Even Power will give a Positive Number.

Here is the Mathematics of same:

\((-10)^2 = (-10)*(-10) = (-1)*(-1)*(10)*(10) = (1) * (100) = 100\)

2. Rule followed in GMAT

If \(x^2 = 16\)
x = -4 or +4

But \(\sqrt{16} = +4\)[/quote]
But still as it is -5^4*1/4
Simplifying it will give -5^1 = -5

I am so confused


Sent from my SM-N9200 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 264
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 07:20
khushbumodi wrote:
umg wrote:
abhishekmayank wrote:

Hi,

Let me understand that why [(-2-3)^4]^1/4 = 5. I think that [(-5)^4]^1/4 should be -5

There are 2 rules Here.

1. General Rule of Thumb - Every Number, Positive or Negative, raised to an Even Power will give a Positive Number.

Here is the Mathematics of same:

\((-10)^2 = (-10)*(-10) = (-1)*(-1)*(10)*(10) = (1) * (100) = 100\)

2. Rule followed in GMAT

If \(x^2 = 16\)
x = -4 or +4

But \(\sqrt{16} = +4\)

But still as it is -5^4*1/4
Simplifying it will give -5^1 = -5

I am so confused


Hmm.. That is a valid point. I did not think of that. What I did was I solved the inside bracket first, applied the power 4 and took the 4th root. I don't know why your method is wrong though mine IS the right way to solve because otherwise we would have 2 different solutions of an operation.

I believe that one of the lesser known fallacies of Mathematics is at work here. For example, Here is One of those..

\(\sqrt{x} = \sqrt{(x)*(-1)*(-1)} = \sqrt{x}*\sqrt{(-1)}*\sqrt{(-1)} = - \sqrt{x}\)
but unless x=0, the above result cannot be true; however since we solved for a general term x, this must be universally true.

The fallacy lies in an operation that we did..

We cannot split \(\sqrt{(-1)*(-1)}\) into \(\sqrt{(-1)}*\sqrt{(-1)}\)

P.S. If you don't know, \((\sqrt{(-1)})^2 = (-1)\).
_________________

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52119
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 08:43
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0, what is the value of \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4} + \sqrt{-x|x|}\)

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2


Two things to remember:

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\)

(2) When \(x \le 0\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(\text{some expression} \le 0\) then \(|\text{some expression}| = -(\text{some expression})\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x \ge 0\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(\text{some expression} \ge 0\) then \(|\text{some expression}| = \text{some expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

Back to the question:

According to (1) \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4}=|x-3|\). Now, since it's given that x is negative, then x - 3 will also be negative, thus according to (2) \(|x-3| = -(x-3)=3-x\).

Next, again since x is negative, then \(|x|=-x\). Thus, \(\sqrt{-x|x|}=\sqrt{(-x)(-x)}=\sqrt{x^2}=|x|=-x\).

So, finally we have \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4} + \sqrt{-x|x|}=3-x-x=3-2x\).

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 63
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 10:10
chetan2u wrote:
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2



Hi

Best way is to substitute a value for X..
Let x be -2..
So [(-2-3)^4]^1/4+(-(-2)*|-2|)^1/2= ((-5)^4)^1/4+4^1/2=5+2=7..
Substitute in choices
. A.-3. ......NO
B. x+3. .....-2+3=1...NO
C. 3-2x. .....3-(2*-2)=3+4=7.. YES
D. 2x-3. .....2*-2-3=-7......NO
E. 2. .....NO

C


I am confused. How can you substitute x for a negative number, when x<0? wouldn't x have to be positive?
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 679
Premium Member
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 19:46
Bunuel wrote:
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0, what is the value of \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4} + \sqrt{-x|x|}\)

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2


Two things to remember:

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\)

(2) When \(x \le 0\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(\text{some expression} \le 0\) then \(|\text{some expression}| = -(\text{some expression})\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x \ge 0\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(\text{some expression} \ge 0\) then \(|\text{some expression}| = \text{some expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

Back to the question:

According to (1) \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4}=|x-3|\). Now, since it's given that x is negative, then x - 3 will also be negative, thus according to (2) \(|x-3| = -(x-3)=3-x\).

Next, again since x is negative, then \(|x|=-x\). Thus, \(\sqrt{-x|x|}=\sqrt{(-x)(-x)}=\sqrt{x^2}=|x|=-x\).

So, finally we have \(\sqrt[4]{(x-3)^4} + \sqrt{-x|x|}=3-x-x=3-2x\).

Answer: C.


Hello Bunuel
When it's written |x|, don't we always take the positive value no matter what is inside. Why are we even considering the negative value of x when absolute value of a number is positive. Please explain.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 679
Premium Member
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 20:10
Bunuel, abhimahna, BrushMyQuant

Absolute value rule is really creating confusion here. I read that absolute value of an integer/expression is always positive no matter what the sign is inside |x|. Then can't we just write here:

-(x-3)+ sq. root of (-x*x)
=-x+3+ sq. root of (-(x)^2)
= -x+3+(-(x)^2)^1/2
=-x+3+|-1|*x
= -x+3+x
=3

When I am removing | |, I am just considering positive value of whatever is inside | |.

Please help.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

GMAT Tutor
User avatar
G
Status: Tutor - BrushMyQuant
Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Posts: 622
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 21:10
Top Contributor
Hi Shiv,

You did everything right apart from opening the second part of the equation
sq. root of (-x*|x|)
Since x is negative so |x| = -x (since x is negative so -x will be positive)
sq. root of (-x*|x|) = sq. root of (-x*-x) = sq. root of (x^2)
Now whatever comes out of square root is always positive
So sq. root of (x^2) = |x|
Again, x is negative so |x| = -x (since x is negative so -x will be positive)
So final answer is
-x + 3 - x = 3-2x

Hope it helps!




Shiv2016 wrote:
Bunuel, abhimahna, BrushMyQuant

Absolute value rule is really creating confusion here. I read that absolute value of an integer/expression is always positive no matter what the sign is inside |x|. Then can't we just write here:

-(x-3)+ sq. root of (-x*x)
=-x+3+ sq. root of (-(x)^2)
= -x+3+(-(x)^2)^1/2
=-x+3+|-1|*x
= -x+3+x
=3

When I am removing | |, I am just considering positive value of whatever is inside | |.

Please help.

_________________

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 679
Premium Member
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 21:32
BrushMyQuant wrote:
Hi Shiv,

You did everything right apart from opening the second part of the equation
sq. root of (-x*|x|)
Since x is negative so |x| = -x (since x is negative so -x will be positive)
sq. root of (-x*|x|) = sq. root of (-x*-x) = sq. root of (x^2)
Now whatever comes out of square root is always positive
So sq. root of (x^2) = |x|
Again, x is negative so |x| = -x (since x is negative so -x will be positive)
So final answer is
-x + 3 - x = 3-2x

Hope it helps!






Shiv2016 wrote:
Bunuel, abhimahna, BrushMyQuant

Absolute value rule is really creating confusion here. I read that absolute value of an integer/expression is always positive no matter what the sign is inside |x|. Then can't we just write here:

-(x-3)+ sq. root of (-x*x)
=-x+3+ sq. root of (-(x)^2)
= -x+3+(-(x)^2)^1/2
=-x+3+|-1|*x
= -x+3+x
=3

When I am removing | |, I am just considering positive value of whatever is inside | |.

Please help.


Thank you so much for your reply.
May I ask a very basic question here?

We sat that absolute value of any number is positive. So shouldn't we write only positive value after removing the bars.
i.e. |x|= x

It's a very basic question but because of this only I am making mistakes in absolute value questions.
GMAT Tutor
User avatar
G
Status: Tutor - BrushMyQuant
Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Posts: 622
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 22:08
Top Contributor
|x| = x if x is positive or zero
= -x if x is negative or zero

Example
|-3| = 3 = -(-3) (so |x| = -x if x is negative)

Sometimes, it becomes complex to solve questions when x is given as negative. So, to make things simple I suggest to take x = -k (where k is positive) and substitute x=-k in all the equations. Check my first reply in this thread to understand it better.

Hope it helps!

Shiv2016 wrote:
BrushMyQuant wrote:
Hi Shiv,

You did everything right apart from opening the second part of the equation
sq. root of (-x*|x|)
Since x is negative so |x| = -x (since x is negative so -x will be positive)
sq. root of (-x*|x|) = sq. root of (-x*-x) = sq. root of (x^2)
Now whatever comes out of square root is always positive
So sq. root of (x^2) = |x|
Again, x is negative so |x| = -x (since x is negative so -x will be positive)
So final answer is
-x + 3 - x = 3-2x

Hope it helps!






Shiv2016 wrote:
Bunuel, abhimahna, BrushMyQuant

Absolute value rule is really creating confusion here. I read that absolute value of an integer/expression is always positive no matter what the sign is inside |x|. Then can't we just write here:

-(x-3)+ sq. root of (-x*x)
=-x+3+ sq. root of (-(x)^2)
= -x+3+(-(x)^2)^1/2
=-x+3+|-1|*x
= -x+3+x
=3

When I am removing | |, I am just considering positive value of whatever is inside | |.

Please help.


Thank you so much for your reply.
May I ask a very basic question here?

We sat that absolute value of any number is positive. So shouldn't we write only positive value after removing the bars.
i.e. |x|= x

It's a very basic question but because of this only I am making mistakes in absolute value questions.

_________________

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 679
Premium Member
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 22:23
So what I understood is:

Absolute value of x is positive x when x is >=0.
Absolute value of x is negative x when x<0.

So we can't just say that absolute value of every number is positive no matter what is inside. The sign inside || will matter when || are removed.

|x| when x is positive= x
|x| when x is negative= -1*-x= +x
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52119
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 22:28
Shiv2016 wrote:
So what I understood is:

Absolute value of x is positive x when x is >=0.
Absolute value of x is negative x when x<0.

So we can't just say that absolute value of every number is positive no matter what is inside. The sign inside || will matter when || are removed.

|x| when x is positive= x
|x| when x is negative= -1*-x= +x


Your understanding is wrong. The post here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-x-0-what- ... l#p1847895 explains it.

Absolute value of a number CANNOT be negative! |x| is ALWAYS more than or equal to zero.

|some positive value| = that positive value

|some negative value| = -(that negative value), which still will be positive because -negative = positive.

|0| = 0.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 679
Premium Member
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 02:23
BrushMyQuant wrote:
Whenever we have absolute value question and the variable is given as negative (like x<0 in this case) then the easiest way to solve the problem is to
take x=-k (where k is positive), this will make opening absolute values easy

[(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2
= [((-k)-3)^4]^1/4 + (-(-k)|-k|)^1/2
= [(-(k+3))^4]^1/4 + ((k)|-k|)^1/2
= [(k+3)^4]^1/4 + ((k)(k))^1/2 [as k is positive so |-k| will be equal to k]
= (k+3) + (k^2)^1/2
= k+3 + k = 2k + 3
[x = -k => k = -x]
= 2(-x) + 3 = 3-2x
So, Answer is C
Hope it helps!


siddharthsinha123 wrote:
If x<0

What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2

A. -3
B. x+3
C. 3-2x
D. 2x-3
E. 2




Can't we just cross off power 4 and 1/4?

x=-k

[(-k-3)^4]^1/4 + \sqrt{-(-k)*|-k|}
= -k-3+ k
= -3

I have tried this question so many times but still not really able to understand the minor things. I don't understand where I am going wrong: in cancelling the powers or opening the ||.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9405
Premium Member
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 11:43
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3 &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2018, 11:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x<0 What is the value of [(x-3)^4]^1/4 + (-x|x|)^1/2 A. -3 B. x+3

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.