GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 11:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 00:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:41) correct 33% (01:47) wrong based on 1143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

(1) x = y^2
(2) y > 2

Data Sufficiency
Question: 121
Category: Arithmetic; Algebra Arithmetic operations; Inequalities
Page: 161
Difficulty: 650

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 00:14
SOLUTION

(1) x = y^2 --> if \(x=y=1\), then \(x^y=1=y^x\), so the answer would be NO BUT if \(y=3\) and \(x=9\), then \(x^y=9^3<y^x=3^9\), so the answer would be YES. Not sufficient.

(2) y > 2. No info about \(x\), not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) \(x = y^2\), thus the question becomes: is \((y^2)^y<y^{(y^2)}\)? --> is \(y^{2y}<y^{(y^2)}\)? Now, since from (2) \(y=integer>2\), then \(2y\) will always be less than \(y^2\), therefore \(y^{2y}\) will be less than \(y^{(y^2)}\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 06:05
Option C.
From S1:if y=1,2,3,4,...
x=1,4,9,16,...
If x=y=1 Ans-no
If x=9 & y=3 Ans-yes
Insuff.

From S2:if y>2
Y=3,4,5,6...
We don't have any infor for x.So ans will change depending on x.
Insuff.

Combine both statements.
y=3,4,5,6,...
x=9,16,25,36,...
Ans will always be yes.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 13:51
SOLUTION

(1) x = y^2 --> if \(x=y=1\), then \(x^y=1=y^x\), so the answer would be NO BUT if \(y=3\) and \(x=9\), then \(x^y=9^3<y^x=3^9\), so the answer would be YES. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) \(x = y^2\), thus the question becomes: is \((y^2)^y<y^{(y^2)}\)? --> is \(y^{2y}<y^{(y^2)}\)? Now, since from (2) \(y=integer>2\), then \(2y\) will always be less than \(y^2\), therefore \(y^{2y}\) will be less than \(y^{(y^2)}\). Sufficient.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 22:17
But for this question, we dont need to know the value of X.

If Y > 2, say Y = 3, then the question becomes X^3 < 3^X.

Put any integer value, either positive or negative, the answer will come to yes.

Please correct if I am wrong and thanks in advance for correcting my concepts.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: Insead July'17

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 08:15
nnitingarg wrote:
But for this question, we dont need to know the value of X.

If Y > 2, say Y = 3, then the question becomes X^3 < 3^X.

Put any integer value, either positive or negative, the answer will come to yes.

Please correct if I am wrong and thanks in advance for correcting my concepts.

If you put y=4 and x=2,
then the condition fails... It becomes 16 on both sides -- leading to x^y = y^x.

Hence it fails and not sufficient..
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 09:02
Thanks for your explanation. Looks like I was not fully devoted when I wrote my previous comments.

This time I solved it before reading any comments. and afterwards, I tried to understand what I had understood last time to fill the gaps.

Thanks and appreciate all your help.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 17:18
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

My approach was:
Is: \(x^y < y^x\) implying: Is \(x < y^{(x/y)}\)

Statement 1:
\(x = y^2\)
substituting in Is \(x < y^{(x/y)}\); i get: \(y^2 < y^{(y^2/y)}\) equal to Is: \(y^2 < y^y\)
insufficient

Statement 2:
\(y > 2\)
substituting in Is \(x < y^{(x/y)}\); i get: is \(x > 2^{(x/2)}\)
insufficient

Statement 1 + 2:
\(y^2 < y^y\) (from statement 1) and since y > 2, then \(y^2\) must be less than \(y^y\)
Sufficient.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 07:05
See GMATquantum... has a good solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80aapMWgM3o

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 07:22
I am stuck on why second statement is not suffeceint.
Y>2 tells me that y is positive.
X can either be positive or negative integer but not zero.
I picked (x=-1 and Y=3), (X=1 and Y=3), (X=-2 and Y=3), (X=2 and Y=3) even (X= -10 and y=3)
All the above combinations give only one answer i.e, "yes".
Tell me where I am going wrong.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 07:35
Shreeya24 wrote:
I am stuck on why second statement is not suffeceint.
Y>2 tells me that y is positive.
X can either be positive or negative integer but not zero.
I picked (x=-1 and Y=3), (X=1 and Y=3), (X=-2 and Y=3), (X=2 and Y=3) even (X= -10 and y=3)
All the above combinations give only one answer i.e, "yes".
Tell me where I am going wrong.

The cases you have mentioned are correct and they will give you a "Yes" but we can also take x=y and in this case the answer will be a "no". The question stem or even this statement does not stop us from picking x=y=3.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 04:14
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

(1) x = y^2
(2) y > 2

Should not first stmt be sufficient

substituting

1) (y^2)^y < y^(y^2)
y^2y < y^2y; since both are same then no always. Is my manipulation of exponents incorrect?
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 07:43
[/quote]
Should not first stmt be sufficient

substituting

1) (y^2)^y < y^(y^2)
y^2y < y^2y; since both are same then no always. Is my manipulation of exponents incorrect?[/quote]

Your interpretation of exponents is not correct. (y^2)^y is correctly mentioned as y^(2y) while y^(y^2) is not equal to y^(2y), it can not be written in any other way but y^(y^2). You can check this by assuming y = 2.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 21:40
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

Since we have 2 variables (\(x\) and \(y\)) and 0 equations, C is most likely to be the answer. So, we should consider 1) & 2) first.

Conditions 1) & 2):
\(x^y = (y^2)^y = y^{2y}\)
\(y^x = y^{y^2}\)
Since \(y > 2\), we have \(y^2 > 2y\) and \(y^{2y} < y^{y^2}\).
Thus both conditions together are sufficient.

Since this is an integer question (one of the key question areas), we should also consider choices A and B by CMT(Common Mistake Type) 4(A).

Condition 1)
\(x = 9, y = 3 ⇒ 9^3 = 3^6 < 3^9\) : Yes
\(x = 1, y = 1 ⇒ 1^1 = 1^1\) : No
The condition 1) only is not sufficient.

Condition 2)
\(x = 1, y = 4 ⇒ 1^2 < 4^1\) : Yes
\(x = -1, y = 4 => (-1)^4 = 1 > 4^{-1} = \frac{1}{4}\) : No
The condition 2) only is not sufficient.

Therefore, C is the answer.

Normally, in problems which require 2 equations, such as those in which the original conditions include 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, each of conditions 1) and 2) provide an additional equation. In these problems, the two key possibilities are that C is the answer (with probability 70%), and E is the answer (with probability 25%). Thus, there is only a 5% chance that A, B or D is the answer. This occurs in common mistake types 3 and 4. Since C (both conditions together are sufficient) is the most likely answer, we save time by first checking whether conditions 1) and 2) are sufficient, when taken together. Obviously, there may be cases in which the answer is A, B, D or E, but if conditions 1) and 2) are NOT sufficient when taken together, the answer must be E.

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jan 2018, 21:40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap