Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3544 [199]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [107]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 672 [8]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be greater than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C

The easiest way to solve this problem is by picking some numbers for x and y and then solving and comparing. The problem you really have is trying to compare with radicals in the solutions which are not easy to compare.

First we're given \(\frac{1}{sqrt{x-y}}\) and asked which of the following I, II, or III MUST be larger than \(\frac{1}{sqrt{x-y}}\).

I. \(\frac{sqrt{x+y}}{2x}\)

II. \(\frac{sqrt{x} + sqrt{y}}{x+y}\)

III. \(\frac{sqrt{x} - sqrt{y}}{x+y}\)

For my numbers, I chose X = 3 and y = 1

You get \(\frac{1}{sqrt{3+1}} = \frac{1}{2}\)

Then for I, II, and III you get:

I. => \(\frac{sqrt{3+1}}{6} = \frac{2}{6} = \frac{1}{3}\)

II. => \(\frac{sqrt{2} + sqrt{1}}{3 + 1} = \frac{sqrt{2} + 1}{4}\)

III. => \(\frac{sqrt{2} - sqrt{1}}{3 + 1} = \frac{sqrt{2} + 1}{4}\)

Now we have to evaluate these numbers.

I. 1/3 is smaller than 1/2, so it does not satisfy the question of which MUST be larger.

II. Square root of 2 + 1 over 4. Even without knowing what the exact number is, we know \(\sqrt{2}\) is over 1, so add 1 to that and we get something larger than 2 over 4, which will be greater than 1/2. Can't rules out II as the answer yet. Due to the answer choices, we know the answer should be either C or E.

III. Sqrt of 2 minus 1 over 4 we know will be something under 2 over 4, so that's less than half. III cannot work either.

Something to keep in mind is that the question stem does not rule out fractions for possible values of X and Y, but due to the answers, we are able to eliminate III as a possibility and that leaves only C for the answer.

If you got to a point where both II and III was possible, you would need to also pick some fractions for values of X and Y and evaluate. It's not a really quick way to do this, but it will work and also remember that doing these problems when you're used to them is much faster than reading one of my explanations on how to do it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [5]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be greater than [#permalink]
Kudos
Those are good methods and work well for someone versed in the theories and properties, but most people taking the GMAT (and those that read these forums that do not ever post) are not ones that know or even care to know the ins and outs of deep theories. The number picking on the GMAT works well, is easy, and you just have to understand what the MUST BE TRUE means, that if there is a situation where the option is greater than 2, that does not mean that it always will be. You have to consider numerous items.

All I"m saying is that for the majority of people, spending 2 min plugging in numbers will keep them better focused, working towards a solution, and on track for the rest of the GMAT. That's the most important part.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
In exams they donot expect us to spend much time and this is a tricky question.

DONOT use number method as your first attempt.

Solution:

1/sqrt(x+y) = sqrt(x+y)/x+y // multiply den and numerator by sqrt(x+y)

For 1st option we cannot say anything.
Now for 2nd and third denominators are same that means we need to consider only numerator,and rem they have stated A n B both r positive.

now its obvious that sqrt x + sqrt y > sqrt (x+y) > sqrt x - sqrt y
( use the property.... (a+b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab )

If any doubts pls letme know.This question shouldnt take more than 1 min if you just concentrate on basic knwledge
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Bookmarks
vrajesh wrote:
If x and y are positive, which of the following must be greater than \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}?\)

I. \(\frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2x}\)

II.\(\frac{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{y}}{\sqrt{x+y}}\)

III. \(\frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}{\sqrt{x+y}}\)

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. I and III
E. II and III

Can someone please explain what is the best way to solve this problem in under 2 minutes?

I would really like to understand how to solve these type of problems.

What makes this problem especially difficult, is the condition x and y are positive
i.e. x > 0 and y > 0

hence x and y can be any of the following 1/2, 3/4, 1, 2, 3, 4, ....., and more

Okay, so the main fraction can be simplified to the following by means of rationalization.

\(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\) = \(\frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{x+y}\)

Now the question asks for something that MUST be true for all the values of x and y, which are positive.

So look at the options:

I: Here, your denominator is 2x. If x+y > 2x, then this option is greater than the given number. If not, it's smaller. So this can't be the answer.

II: This always has to be greater. In our simplified form, our numerator is 1, and here the numerator is \(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{y}\) which has to be greater than 1, since the smallest possible value that x can take is 1 (Remember 0 is not a positive integer) - So this option is good.

III. \(\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}\). This can be greater than or lesser than one depending on the values that x and y takes, so this need not ALWAYS be greater than what's given to us. Hence incorrect.

Thus the final answer is C, just option II. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Picking numbers actually got me the wrong answer
x= 9
y=16

1/sqrt(x+y)== 1/5===0.20
1) sqrt(x+y)/2x = 5/18= 0.2777

This itself is wrong so ---- please help - GMAT TOMORROW!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ashamock wrote:
Picking numbers actually got me the wrong answer
x= 9
y=16

1/sqrt(x+y)== 1/5===0.20
1) sqrt(x+y)/2x = 5/18= 0.2777

This itself is wrong so ---- please help - GMAT TOMORROW!

The question asks which of the options MUST be greater than \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\), not COULD be greater than \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\). Hence one set of numbers showing that option (1) is greater is not enough to conclude that this option is ALWAYS greater (greater for all numbers).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Please correct me where I am wrong.

I understood why I and III are false.

If {x,y} = {2,2} then 1/(x+y)^1/2 = 1/2 = 0.5

while II will come out to be 1/2*2^1/2 = 0.357

Here II is not greater than the given expression.

So, None should be an answer. isnt it?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nishantmehra01 wrote:
Hi,

Please correct me where I am wrong.

I understood why I and III are false.

If {x,y} = {2,2} then 1/(x+y)^1/2 = 1/2 = 0.5

while II will come out to be 1/2*2^1/2 = 0.357

Here II is not greater than the given expression.

So, None should be an answer. isnt
it?

If \(x=y=2\), then:

\(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}=\frac{1}{2}\) and \(\frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{x+y}=\frac{\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{2}}{2+2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\) --> \(\frac{1}{2}<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

SOLUTION #2
The method called cross multiplication:
Suppose we want to know which [b]positive
fraction is greater \(\frac{9}{11}\) or \(\frac{13}{15}\): crossmultiply \(9*15=135\) and \(11*13=143\) --> \(135<143\) which fraction gave us numerator for bigger value 143? \(\frac{13}{15}\)! Thus \(\frac{13}{15}>\frac{9}{11}\).

Lets do the same with our problem:
I. \(\frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2x}\) and \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\) --> \(\sqrt{x+y}*\sqrt{x+y}=x+y\) and \(2x*1=2x\). \(x+y\) may or may not be greater than \(2x\). OUT

II. \(\frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{x+y}\) and \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\) --> \((\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y})(\sqrt{x+y})\) and \(x+y\). Divide both sides by \(\sqrt{x+y}\) --> \(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}\) and \(\sqrt{x+y}\). We know that \(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}\) is always greater, which one gave the numerator for it: \(\frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{x+y}\), so \(\frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{x+y}\) is always greater than \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\). OK

III. Well we can not even consider this one as our expression \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}\) is always positive and the \(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}\) (numerator) can be negative. OUT

Answer C.

Hope it's clear.

Major thanks for this one! I'm really bad with these types of problems, and hate plugging in numbers, but I'm very good with algebraic equations, and the cross-multiplication method just naturally makes a lot of sense to me. I think if I do a few dozen of these, there's no chance I'd go wrong on these types of questions on GMAT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM