GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2010, 13:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:04) correct 49% (02:04) wrong based on 2823 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If \(x > y^2 > z^4\), which of the following statements could be true?

I. \(x>y>z\)

II. \(z>y>x\)

III. \(x>z>y\)

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. 1 and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2010, 14:06
Orange08 wrote:
If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be true?

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

As this is a COULD be true question then even one set of numbers proving that statement holds true is enough to say that this statement should be part of correct answer choice.

Given: \(x > y^2 > z^4\).

1. \(x>y>z\) --> the easiest one: if \(x=100\), \(y=2\) and \(z=1\) --> this set satisfies \(x > y^2 > z^4\) as well as given statement \(x>y>z\). So 1 COULD be true.

2. \(z>y>x\) --> we have reverse order than in stem (\(x > y^2 > z^4\)), so let's try fractions: if \(x=\frac{1}{5}\), \(y=\frac{1}{4}\) and \(z=\frac{1}{3}\) then again the stem and this statement hold true. So 2 also COULD be true.

3. \(x>z>y\) --> let's make \(x\) some big number, let's say 1,000. Next, let's try the fractions for \(z\) and \(y\) for the same reason as above (reverse order of \(y\) and \(z\)): \(y=\frac{1}{3}\) and \(z=\frac{1}{2}\). The stem and this statement hold true for this set of numbers. So 3 also COULD be true.

Answer: E.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 13:17
Baten80 wrote:
If x > y^2 >z^4, which of the following statements could be true?

I. x > y > z

x=10000
y=10; y^2=100
z=1; z^4=1
x>y^2>z^4

II. z > y > x
z=0.5; z^4=0.0625
y=0.4; y^2=0.16
x=0.3
x>y^2>z^4

III. x > z > y
x=0.5
z=0.2; z^4=0.0016
y=0.1; y^2=0.01
x>y^2>z^4

a. I only
b. I and II only
c. I and III only
d. II and III only
e. I, II and III

We just need to remember that
1. the number decreases in value with increment in the power of the number if 0< number< 1;
if x=0.1; x>x^2>x^3>x^(100) because x is between 0 and 1.

2. the number increases in value with increment in the power of the number if number>1
if x=2;
x<x^2<x^(100) because x is more than 1.

Ans: "E"

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

General Discussion
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Sep 2018, 00:51
This is a really tough problem. Here is my video explanation:
https://gmatquantum.com/gmatprep-algebr ... tatements/

Dabral

Originally posted by dabral on 28 Jun 2011, 12:19.
Last edited by dabral on 17 Sep 2018, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 01:52
arps wrote:
1) x > y2 > z4

which of the following is true:

I x>y>z
II z>y>x
III x>z>y

A) I Only
B) I and II Only
C) I and III Only
D) II and III Only
E) I, II and III

I think the actual question is: Which of the following could be true?

Plugging in numbers work best for such questions. The only thing to keep in mind is that you should plug in the right numbers. How do you know the right numbers?
When I see \(x > y^2 > z^4\), I think that \(y^2\) and \(z^4\) are non negative. Since \(y^2 > z^4\), \(y^2\) cannot be 0. Only z can be 0. x has to be positive. Also, I have to take into account two ranges: 0 to 1 and 1 to infinity. The powers behave differently in these two ranges. I will consider negative numbers only if I have to since with powers, they get confusing to deal with.

The question says: "Which of the following could be true?"
We have to find examples where each relation holds.

I. x > y > z
This is the most intuitive of course.
z = 0, y = 1 and x = 2
\(2 > 1^2 > 0^4\)

II. z > y > x
Let me consider the 0 to 1 range here. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1/4
\(1/4 > 1/9 > 1/16\)

III. x > z > y
Let's stick to 0 to 1 range. z > y as in case II above but x has to be greater than both of them. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1
\(1>1/9 > 1/16\)

So all three statements could be true.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2012, 02:31
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,
Thanks for the earlier response.. I think, I am very weak in Inequalities..
Could you please post how to go about this question in algebraic way.. ...also if you could let me know how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work..
Thanks
H
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2012, 02:46
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,
Thanks for the earlier response.. I think, I am very weak in Inequalities..
Could you please post how to go about this question in algebraic way.. ...also if you could let me know how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work..
Thanks
H

Plug-in method is really the best way to handle such kind of questions. No need to look for some kind of textbook or algebraic ways.

Notice that there are are certain GMAT questions which are pretty much only solvable with plug-in or trial and error methods (well at leas in 2-3 minutes). Many difficult inequality problems will often require some sort of plug-ins, as part of your technique or else you'll spend too much time solving them with algebra. Which means that you MUST make plug-in methods part of your arsenal if you want to get a decent score.

Inequality questions to practice.
DS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184
PS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=189

Hope it helps.

P.S. I'm not sure understood the following part of your post: "how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work.. "

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2012, 04:01
Thanks Bunuel for your response..
This is what I mean when I said range - Red Part in Karishma's response"
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
arps wrote:
1) x > y2 > z4

which of the following is true:

I x>y>z
II z>y>x
III x>z>y

A) I Only
B) I and II Only
C) I and III Only
D) II and III Only
E) I, II and III

I think the actual question is: Which of the following could be true?

Plugging in numbers work best for such questions. The only thing to keep in mind is that you should plug in the right numbers. How do you know the right numbers?
When I see \(x > y^2 > z^4\), I think that \(y^2\) and \(z^4\) are non negative. Since \(y^2 > z^4\), \(y^2\) cannot be 0. Only z can be 0. x has to be positive. Also, I have to take into account two ranges: 0 to 1 and 1 to infinity. The powers behave differently in these two ranges. I will consider negative numbers only if I have to since with powers, they get confusing to deal with.

The question says: "Which of the following could be true?"
We have to find examples where each relation holds.

I. x > y > z
This is the most intuitive of course.
z = 0, y = 1 and x = 2
\(2 > 1^2 > 0^4\)

II. z > y > x
Let me consider the 0 to 1 range here. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1/4
\(1/4 > 1/9 > 1/16\)

III. x > z > y
Let's stick to 0 to 1 range. z > y as in case II above but x has to be greater than both of them. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1
\(1>1/9 > 1/16\)

So all three statements could be true.
"
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2012, 05:59
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Bunuel for your response..
This is what I mean when I said range - Red Part in Karishma's response"
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

First notice that since x>z^4 (x is greater than some nonnegative value) then x>0.

Now, as Karishma correctly noted, numbers in powers behave differently in the range {0. 1} and {1. +infinity}. For example:

If 0<a<1 then a, a^2 and a^4 will be ordered as follows: 0--(a^4)--(a^2)--(a)--1

If a>1 then a, a^2 and a^4 will be ordered as follows: 1--(a)--(a^2)--(a^4)--

So, we should take the above difference in ordering into account when picking numbers for x, y, and z, since we need to find the values which satisfy 3 different statements.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:15
Restrictions are not provided on the variables so I planned to check different values I and used x=y=z=1/2.
As if I take 1/2 for each variables, its given condition would be satisfied and it will become 1/2>1/4>1/8.

So according to me none of the conditions are satisfied.
Am I doing anything wrong here?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:40
chetan86 wrote:
Restrictions are not provided on the variables so I planned to check different values I and used x=y=z=1/2.
As if I take 1/2 for each variables, its given condition would be satisfied and it will become 1/2>1/4>1/8.

So according to me none of the conditions are satisfied.
Am I doing anything wrong here?

Notice that the question asks "which of the following statements could be true" NOT "which of the following statements must be true"

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 02:10
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

As this is a COULD be true question then even one set of numbers proving that statement holds true is enough to say that this statement should be part of correct answer choice.

1. \(x>y>z\) --> the easiest one: if \(x=100\), \(y=2\) and \(z=1\) --> this set satisfies \(x > y^2 > z^4\) as well as given statement \(x>y>z\). So 1 COULD be true.

2. \(z>y>x\) --> we have reverse order than in stem (\(x > y^2 > z^4\)), so let's try fractions: if \(x=\frac{1}{5}\), \(y=\frac{1}{4}\) and \(z=\frac{1}{3}\) then again the stem and this statement hold true. So 2 also COULD be true.

3. \(x>z>y\) --> let's make \(x\) some big number, let's say 1,000. Next, let's try the fractions for \(z\) and \(y\) for the same reason as above (reverse order of \(y\) and \(z\)): \(y=\frac{1}{3}\) and \(z=\frac{1}{2}\). The stem and this statement hold true for this set of numbers. So 3 also COULD be true.

Isn't it stated in the exam that assume all numbers are integers? We can't try fractions unless they say they are not integers.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 02:19
SaramiR wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

Isn't it stated in the exam that assume all numbers are integers? We can't try fractions unless they say they are not integers.

No that's not true at all. All numbers on the test represent real numbers: Integers, Fractions and Irrational Numbers. You cannot assume a variable is integer if you are not explicitly told so.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 15:45
Algebraic solution:

In the question we are given: x>y2>z4, hence from concepts of inequalities we break it into 2 parts: x>y2 and y2>z4.
1. x>y2 means -x(1/2)<y<x(1/2)
2. y2>z4 means -y<z2<y, but a square cannot be negative so 0<z2<y, this implies -y(1/2)<z<y(1/2).

Now we plot all these points on number line with the intersection of there ranges. But before that we need to understand that we will only be taking x,y,z as positive since if we take y as negative for example(easiest one) the value z(2) becomes negative, whereas a square can never be negative.

hence we plot all of them on the positive x-axis. From above 1 & 2 point we get a general range as such 0<z<y(1/2)<y<x(1/2)<x.
Now, we need to see that we haven't in reality considered various values of x,y,z but have come up with a general idea of how they look on the number line.
Now we define the ranges, since we know about a^x graph varies for values 0<a<1 and a>1, we also take such cases for all three of them.
1. 0<x<1 and x>1
2. 0<y<1 and y>1
3. 0<z<1 and z>1

Hence looking at the combinations we find we have 8 possibilities (2*2*2). taking the 2 general ones:
1. x>1 y>1 z>1. In the general formula we simply put x,y,z and get x>y>z. (Would have figured initially).
2. 0<x<1, 0<y<1 and 0<z<1. In this possibility put x as 1/x, y as 1/y and z as 1/z in general formula we get z>y>x.
3. x>1 0<y<1 and 0<z<1. In this put y as 1/y and z as 1/z. Keep x as x in general formula, we see x>1/y>1/z. since only 1/y>1/z are in reciprocal hence z>y by inequalities. thus x>z>y.

Therefore we can get 8 possibilities and the fact is all of them are correct.
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 23:59
Hi vinnisatija,

Yes, if you see a "could be" question, then just one example that satisfies the given condition is sufficient. In case of "must be" questions, the required condition must hold true under all circumstances along with whatever additional constraint is given in the problem.

Dabral
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 10:41
Quote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

We are given that x > y^2 > z^4 and need to determine which statements must be true. Let’s test each Roman Numeral.

I. x > y > z

Notice that the order of arrangement of x, y, and z in the inequality x > y > z is the same as the order of arrangement of x, y^2, and z^4 in the inequality x > y^2 > z^4, so we want to test positive integers in this case.

x = 10

y = 3

z = 1

Notice that 10 > 3 > 1 for x > y > z AND 10 > 9 > 1 for x > y^2 > z^4.

We see that I could be true.

II. z > y > x

Notice that the order of arrangement of x, y, and z in the inequality z > y > x differs from the order of arrangement of x, y^2, and z^4 in the inequality x > y^2 > z^4, so we want to test positive proper fractions in this case. This is because we need to decrease the value of y and z to make them work within the given inequality.

x = 1/5

y = 1/3

z = 1/2

Notice that 1/2 > 1/3 > 1/5 for z > y > x AND 1/5 > 1/9 > 1/16 for x > y^2 > z^4.

We see that II could be true.

III. x > z > y

Notice that the order of arrangement of y and z in the inequality x > z > y differs from the order of arrangement of y^2 and z^4 in the inequality x > y^2 > z^4, so we once again want to test positive proper fractions. This is because we need to decrease the value of z to make it work within the given inequality (that is, we want to swap the order of z4 and y2 even if z > y).

x = 1/2

y = 1/4

z = 1/3

Notice that 1/2 > 1/3 > 1/4 for x > z > y AND 1/2 > 1/16 > 1/81 for x > y^2 > z^4.

We see that III could be true.

Answer: E

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
S
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 05:35

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

Solution:
To answer questions like this, use ZONEF.
Z = zero
O = one
N = negative integers
E = Extreme Integers (Read as Positive Integers > 1)
F = Fractions (think both positive and negative)

For x > y^2 > z^4, the following numbers work: x = 10, y = 3, z = 1. So , I is true.
Eliminate (D).

The easiest way to prove II true is to multiply the above numbers by -1, but as you are dealing with even exponents, negative numbers will not work.
That leaves us with F(Fractions).

Let z = 0.9, y = 0.7 and x = 0.1
These numbers keep both x > y^2 > z^4 and z > y > x true.
Eliminate (A) and (C).

Now, proving the third is easy. Just take x = any big positive number, say 10
Now, you have x = 10, y = 0.7 and z = 0.9
These values keep both x > y^2 > z^4 and x > z > y true.

So, all three are true.
The answer is (E).

http://www.wiziuscareers.com
We Celebrate Your Success

Experts in Helping you get through a top-50 school with Low GMAT
Money-Back Guarantee Admission Consulting*

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 12:13
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. 1 and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

Question is about "COULD BE" true ..so we just need one set of numbers which ensures that the above conditions are true..

Take x = 100, y = 5 and z = 2
So statement 1 and the statement in the question stem are true..

Take x = 0.4, y = 0.5 and z = 0.6
So statement 2 and the statement in the question stem are true

Take x = 100, y = 0.5 and z = 0.6
So statement 3 and the statement in the question stem are true

So option E

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 16:37
Top Contributor
Orange08 wrote:
If \(x > y^2 > z^4\), which of the following statements could be true?

I. \(x>y>z\)

II. \(z>y>x\)

III. \(x>z>y\)

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. 1 and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

If we CAN find a set of values that satisfies a statement AND yields values such that x > y² > z⁴, then we'll keep that statement.

Statement I. x > y > z
If x = 2, y = 1, and z = 0, then x > y² > z⁴
KEEP statement I

Statement II. z > y > x
If x = 1/4, y = 1/3, and z = 1/2, then x > y² > z⁴
KEEP statement II

Statement III. x > z > y
If x = 2, y = -1, and z = 0, then x > y² > z⁴
KEEP statement III

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 20:49
Dear Moderator,

Pl. clear how is it possible to pick different numbers for all three stem. just because it says " COULD BE"?
I am considering one value for x, one for y and one for z and try to find out answer for all three.

Thanks!
Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be &nbs [#permalink] 16 Apr 2018, 20:49

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap