GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Improve my B-School Application Portfolio

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Improve my B-School Application Portfolio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 03:40
What are few things I can do within the next two years to boost my B-School Applications portfolio? I read that Case Competitions and learning international languages are few things that can boost my application. What can be some other things?
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Improve my B-School Application Portfolio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 18:32
Hi amoghsharma,

It is difficult to address what you specifically need to prepare for your MBA application as I lack information on your background. That said, typically institutions look for well-rounded candidates. If your goal is a top MBA, you should consider the following:

Academics: You do require strong academics to be competitive, especially if you will be applying with 2-3 years of experience. If your undergraduate grades are not strong, research programs you can enroll in (like HBS CORe) that can bolster your GPA. You also require a strong GMAT/GRE. Take a look at your target schools' class profile to gain an idea of their class averages, to help guide you.

Professional Experiences: Take every opportunity to showcase leadership at work, whether you have a leadership title or not. Experiences that you share and can be backed up by recommenders should showcase a candidate that is of service to the institution they serve and seeks ways to improve. Gaining promotions in the two-year period is definitely a plus.

Extracurricular: contributions to community post-undergraduate degree is highly advisable. Looks for ways you can expand the depth to which you serve your community - whether that be at work or in your neighborhood or even through an international organization. Think about what matters to you and how you can actualize it in the world.

I would require additional information from you about your background and ambitions to further guide you on how you specifically should prepare. If interested, please reach out.

Good luck!

amoghsharma wrote:
What are few things I can do within the next two years to boost my B-School Applications portfolio? I read that Case Competitions and learning international languages are few things that can boost my application. What can be some other things?

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Improve my B-School Application Portfolio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 09:51
amoghsharma wrote:

Hey amoghsharma,

Participating in case competitions and learning a foreign language won't move the needle enough by themselves. There needs to be some context that allows these types of things to add to your overall story.

Learning a foreign language one night a week is much different than moving to a foreign country for work and acquiring the language through both study and interaction with locals and co-workers. Participating in a case study in something you have no expertise is much less effective than winning a case study which is relevant to your future goals. In anything you partake it, you should be asking yourself - how does this weave into my overall story and make it stronger?

If you're currently employed, work as hard as possible for that promotion and take on more responsibility than your managers are currently giving you. Volunteer your time to a cause that you believe in, and develop your passions outside of work. Schools want to see well-rounded and selfless individuals who have both strong resumes and soft skills.

Also begin thinking about what schools interest you and do some research. It's never too early to visit a campus, or reach out to current students. Schools care a lot about yield and are more likely to admit someone who has shown strong networking skills with the admissions department. Networking with the programs is one of the most common aspect of the admissions process that I see people neglect, and it can make all the difference if you are a fringe or waitlist candidate.

I hope this information helps and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Regards,
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Improve my B-School Application Portfolio   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 09:51

Improve my B-School Application Portfolio

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi