It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving Verbal as a non-native speaker - 25 days to go

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Improving Verbal as a non-native speaker - 25 days to go [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 06:29
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice as I will take my first GMAT exam in 25 days and I am struggeling especially in the verbal section.

Profil:
European (non-native speaker of English language), decent (not a genious though) in maths, usually not too bad in English as I have already spent a year abroad in the US.

I started studying about 6 weeks ago and first went through all Manhattan Quant Guides. I completed all the problem sets and also did every PS/DS question from OG13. Afterwards went through all 3 Manhattan Verbal Guides (RC, CR, SC) and already completed several question from OG13 too. I'm also tracking myself using the OG Navigator. Having finished all 8 books I recently took a GMATPrep and scored 570 (Q44, V25). In order to get into the program I will be applying for I need a score of 640-650 in total.

Quant:
I reviewed the exam afterwards and realized I could have definitly done better in the Quant section (a few stupid mistakes). As mentioned above, right before the GMATPrep I only focused on Verbal so I feel like I can do even a little better (maybe 45-46, as long as the actual test is of same difficulty as GMATPrep) at Quant in 4 weeks if I keep working at my problem areas for 1-2 hours a day and review what I already know.

Verbal:
Obviously my problem area. At the very first day of practise I took a GMATPrep and only finished the Verbal to see where I am - V20. I basically had no idea of how to attack any problem type. Now that I worked through 600 pages of explanations and strategies I felt a lot safer all in all. I understood all the concepts and was correct on pretty much all the problems sets in the Manhattan books and got around 75-80% of OG questions correct. But when I saw the questions on the test the first one was a RC I didn't really understand (made me a lot more uncomfortable right at the beginning) and even afterwards I felt like I couldnt really apply the strategies (e. g. SC) a studied before. That being said I knew my quant result wouldn't be great but a 5 point improvement (V20 -> V25) after finishing all the guides was very demotivating. I felt like I really understood what RC, SC and CR is about before.

I basically have nothing else to do for the next 25 days and I plan to study for about 10-12 hours a day. The only problem I have at the moment is that I am not sure how in order to get the best result on Oct 30. My plan at the moment is to go though my RC, SC and CR summary again and afterwards attack as many OG problems as I can and review the ones I messed up + to focus an hour or two on a specific quant topic each day.

I would really appreciate any comments on my plan, suggestions or similar experiences. Tell me if you guys need to know anything else in order to comment.

THANKS!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3510 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Improving Verbal as a non-native speaker - 25 days to go [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi jajanb,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Based on what you've described, you will have spent between 2 and 2.5 months of total study time by the time you take the GMAT (as scheduled). This is meant to say that you would likely have a better chance at hitting your score goal if you pushed your Test Date back a bit. Assuming that this recent CAT score is accurate, 25 days won't be enough time for you to make big improvements in both the Quant and Verbal sections. You have a greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section, so your time would likely be best spent focusing on SC, RC and CR.

Studying 10-12 hours a day is probably too much (that type of 'cramming' rarely leads to great results on the GMAT - and it increases your chances of 'burnout' before Test Day).

1) What is your exact Test Date?
2) Do you have the flexibility to push it back?
3) What is the application deadline for the Program that you plan to apply to?
4) How do you know that you "need" a 640+ to get into that Program?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3510 [1], given: 173

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 12:17
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jajanb,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Based on what you've described, you will have spent between 2 and 2.5 months of total study time by the time you take the GMAT (as scheduled). This is meant to say that you would likely have a better chance at hitting your score goal if you pushed your Test Date back a bit. Assuming that this recent CAT score is accurate, 25 days won't be enough time for you to make big improvements in both the Quant and Verbal sections. You have a greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section, so your time would likely be best spent focusing on SC, RC and CR.

Studying 10-12 hours a day is probably too much (that type of 'cramming' rarely leads to great results on the GMAT - and it increases your chances of 'burnout' before Test Day).

1) What is your exact Test Date?
2) Do you have the flexibility to push it back?
3) What is the application deadline for the Program that you plan to apply to?
4) How do you know that you "need" a 640+ to get into that Program?

Rich

Hi Rich,

thanks for your reply.

1) My test date is October 30, 2017
2) Unfortunately, I already picked the last date possible, I will afterwards start to write my thesis + attend classes and study for my exams and won't have the time to study for GMAT
3) I will be applying around May/June 2018. If I miss my first attempt on Oct 30 I will have another periode starting Feb/March 2018 to study for GMAT again (but I would rather reach my goal of 650 already ;-))
4) The program I am applying for ranks applicants based on a 0-100 score that can be calculated using GMAT score, GPA, experience abroad etc. Based on the score that I calculated for myself and the applications result from the last few years I know that I need about 640-650 to be in for sure.

What would you do in my situation?
I thought that if I can improve very little at Quant and practise OG Verbal questions for 3 weeks I might be able to get from V25 to V31 (still not great but sufficient for my plans)?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 21:36
Hi jajanb,

Based on what you describe, you don't technically "need" a 640+; that score just makes it a lot easier for you to get into this particular Program. If you can still potentially get in - even with a lower GMAT Score - then that significantly improves your chances of achieving your big-picture goal (which is to get into that Program). With a little over 3 weeks to go, you have to decide whether you want to focus on learning/practicing some new Verbal Tactics or not. To reiterate what I said earlier: you could potentially improve simply by spending the next few weeks focused on the Verbal section (and learning things that you haven't learned yet). To significantly increase your chances of hitting that 640+ though, you would likely benefit from investing in some new, non-book study materials.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 173

Re: Improving Verbal as a non-native speaker - 25 days to go   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 21:36

Improving Verbal as a non-native speaker - 25 days to go

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap