Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [25]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618759 [1]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Re: In a certain industry, production index x is directly propor [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
megafan wrote:
In a certain industry, production index x is directly proportional to the square of efficiency index y, and indirectly proportional to investment index z. If a business in this industry halves its investment index, which of the following is closest to the percent change in the business’s efficiency index required to keep the production index the same?

(A) 100% increase

(B) 50% increase

(C) 30% increase

(D) 30% decrease

(E) 50% decrease

Source: Gmat Hacks 1800

Original question from GMAT Prep:

Quote:
The rate of a certain chemical reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of chemical A present and inversely proportional to the concentration of chemical B present. If the concentration of chemical B is increased by 100 percent, which of the following is closest to the percent change in the concentration of chemical A required to keep the reaction rate unchanged?

A. 100% decrease
B. 50% decrease
C. 40% decrease
D. 40% increase
E. 50% increase

Discussed here: the-rate-of-a-certain-chemical-reaction-is-directly-90119.html (I guess many Gmat Hacks questions are just reworded problems from GMAT Prep).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
megafan wrote:
In a certain industry, production index x is directly proportional to the square of efficiency index y, and indirectly proportional to investment index z. If a business in this industry halves its investment index, which of the following is closest to the percent change in the business’s efficiency index required to keep the production index the same?

(A) 100% increase

(B) 50% increase

(C) 30% increase

(D) 30% decrease

(E) 50% decrease

Original question from GMAT Prep:

Quote:
The rate of a certain chemical reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of chemical A present and inversely proportional to the concentration of chemical B present. If the concentration of chemical B is increased by 100 percent, which of the following is closest to the percent change in the concentration of chemical A required to keep the reaction rate unchanged?

A. 100% decrease
B. 50% decrease
C. 40% decrease
D. 40% increase
E. 50% increase

Discussed here: the-rate-of-a-certain-chemical-reaction-is-directly-90119.html (I guess many Gmat Hacks questions are just reworded problems from GMAT Prep).

you are correct ........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Normally i plug numbers to see what happens if certain change applies, i am not sure whether i am doing correct but please comment if anything wrong in my method:

Let say the efficiency index y=10 and investment index=1, so, per question terms, production index x=y^2/x=10^2/1=100; now we change the investment index to half (i assumed that it has been decreased to half since it is not clear in the question) and we have the following: 100=y^2/0.5=(y^2)*2=100 --> y=\sqrt{50} --> equals to about 7, then we can see that efficiency index should be reduced to approximately 30% (from 10 to 7).

I hope that my way of thinking is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: In a certain industry, production index x is directly [#permalink]
Marcab wrote:
The entire expression can be written in the form \(x=k*y^2/z\). When z is halved, the expression becomes \(x=2k*y^2/z\). In order to make this expression equal to its initial form, we need to divide this expression by 2. This can be done by reducing \(y\) to \(y/\sqrt{2}\).
Therefore percent change= \(y-y/1.414\)=>\(0.414y/1.414\). This is almost equal to 30%.
Hope this helps.

I used the same method but skipped the calculations since you know that since z is being halved y also has to decrease. There are only 2 options that decrease. If i plug in 50, the condition isn't met and hence 30 is the answer. You should be able to deduce this in less than 30 secs.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [3]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
megafan wrote:

(A) 100% increase

(B) 50% increase

(C) 30% increase

(D) 30% decrease

(E) 50% decrease

“Production index x is directly proportional to the square of efficiency index y, and indirectly proportional to investment index z” means x = k * y^2/z for some positive value k.

Now we are given that z becomes z/2 and we can let y become ty for some positive value t. So we have x = k * (ty)^2/(z/2). Since we are keeping x the same and recall that x = k * y^2/z, so we have:

k * y^2/z = k * (ty)^2/(z/2)

y^2/z = t^2 * y^2 * 2/z

1 = t^2 * 2

1/2 = t^2

t = √(1/2) ≈ 0.7

Thus we see that the efficiency index y has to become 0.7y, or a 30% decrease, in order to keep the production index x the same.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
megafan wrote:

(A) 100% increase

(B) 50% increase

(C) 30% increase

(D) 30% decrease

(E) 50% decrease

“Production index x is directly proportional to the square of efficiency index y, and indirectly proportional to investment index z” means x = k * y^2/z for some positive value k.

Now we are given that z becomes z/2 and we can let y become ty for some positive value t. So we have x = k * (ty)^2/(z/2). Since we are keeping x the same and recall that x = k * y^2/z, so we have:

k * y^2/z = k * (ty)^2/(z/2)

y^2/z = t^2 * y^2 * 2/z

1 = t^2 * 2

1/2 = t^2

t = √(1/2) ≈ 0.7

Thus we see that the efficiency index y has to become 0.7y, or a 30% decrease, in order to keep the production index x the same.

Answer: D

how to easily know that 't = √(1/2) ≈ 0.7' please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
megafan wrote:

(A) 100% increase

(B) 50% increase

(C) 30% increase

(D) 30% decrease

(E) 50% decrease

I am discussing direct and inverse variation on my blog nowadays.
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/01 ... -directly/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/02 ... inversely/

Next post will discuss a similar question using both. I have tried to show every step here to avoid confusion but on the blog, I am going to be more direct.
By the way, the question is not very GMAT-like.

\(x = ky^2\) (x is directly proportional to y^2. k is any constant)
\(xz = k\) (I am assuming that indirectly is actually inversely proportional)

Both together, \(\frac{xz}{y^2} = k\) (Assume z to be constant, you get x is directly proportional to y^2. Assume y to be constant, you get x is inversely proportional to z)

\(\frac{x_1*z_1}{(y_1)^2} = \frac{x_2*z_2}{(y_2)^2}\)
Given that \(z_2 = (\frac{1}{2})z_1\) and that \(x_1\)should be equal to \(x_2\). What is the relation between \(y_1\) and \(y_2\)?

\(\frac{x_1*z_1}{(y_1)^2} = \frac{x_1*(1/2)z_1}{(y_2)^2}\)
\((y_2)^2 = \frac{(y_1)^2}{2}\)
\(y_2 = \frac{y_1}{\sqrt{2}}\)

\(y_2 = \frac{y_1*\sqrt{2}}{2}\)
\(y_2 = 0.7*y_1\)

(A decrease of 30%)

Answer (D)

Are we really supposed to perform such calculation?
I mean \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\) ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
How I did it:
Since X is is directly proportional to y^2 and inversely proportional to z, we can say X = (y^2)/z
If we are cutting z in half, then we have X = (y^2)/((1/2)*z).
So we are multiplying the bottom by 1/2, this means for X to stay the same, we need to multiply y by y^2 by half.
So now we have ((1/2)*y^2)/((1/2)*z)

Let us try to combine 1/2 and y^2 together (from (1/2)*y^2))

So we need to somehow make 1/2 into a number (let's say h) squared. So we need h^2 = 1/2.
Let's square root both sides, now we have h = sqrt(1/2) = sqrt(1)/sqrt(2) = 1/1.4
YOU SHOULD HAVE sqrt(2) AND sqrt(3) memorized.
Valentines day is February 14th, 2/14 => sqrt(2) = 1.4
St Patricks Days is March 17th, 3/17 => sqrt(3) = 1.7

Anyways,
h = 1/1.4, so now we have: (((1/1.4)^2)*(y^2))/((1/2)*z) = (((1/1.4)*y)^2)/((1/2)*z).
So we are reducing y to (1/1.4) of y
So we know it is a decrease. By how much?
Well, 1 - (1/1.4) = 1 - 5/7 = 2/7

You know 2/7 is NOT 50% (3.5/7 is)

The only other decrease is 30%, if 3.5/7 is 50%, then you can eyeball that 2/7 is 30%ish.

Hope that helped.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts