Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: In a particular machine, there are 2 gears that interlock; One gear is [#permalink]
ThatDudeKnows how is speed related to circumference here and why does it lead to halving? I easily think speeds can be different for two gears as well even though one has half the diameter as another and they are connected avigutman
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
In a particular machine, there are 2 gears that interlock; One gear is [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
ThatDudeKnows how is speed related to circumference here and why does it lead to halving? I easily think speeds can be different for two gears as well even though one has half the diameter as another and they are connected avigutman

Elite097 Measuring the speed of a rotating gear is tricky because it's not actually moving anywhere - it stays in place.

The typical way to measure the speed of rotation, therefore, is using units of rpm (revolutions per minute): measuring how many full circles (360 degrees) the gear does in 1 minute. But, what is a "full circle", or, revolution? If you mark a point on the top of the circumference of the gear, a full revolution is complete when that point comes back to the top of the gear. In other words, the whole circumference of the gear would have passed through the top. For example: The second hand of a conventional analog clock rotates at 1 rpm.

Another way to measure the speed of rotation is to measure the movement of the point you marked at the top of the gear. That point will travel the full circumference of the gear in every revolution. So, if a gear with diameter d rotates at a speed of 6 rpm for example, the point you marked will travel a distance of 6*(pi*d) per minute. What if you double the circumference? How would that impact the point's speed, if you keep the gear's rpm the same? Conversely, if you want the point's speed to remain unchanged, what must you do to the gear's rpm when you double its circumference?

In this question, we have 2 gears that interlock. What does that mean? Here's a visualization. If one gear has twice the circumference of the other, it must rotate half as many times per minute. Why? Well, if you mark a little dot every inch along each of the circumferences, the big gear will have twice as many such dots. However, since the gears interlock, the dots on the two gears must be moving at the same speed. If your gear has twice as many dots, and those dots are moving at the same speed as the dots on my small gear, then your dots have to travel twice the distance and will take twice as long to complete their journey of a full revolution. Therefore, your gear must be doing half as many revolutions per minute as my gear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Re: In a particular machine, there are 2 gears that interlock; One gear is [#permalink]
THe Question hasnt mentioned if the Machine functions 24 hrs or its working duration
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts