GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 23:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2014, 03:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:23) correct 40% (02:14) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing each other with accommodation for 5 in each, 4 wish to sit facing forward and 3 facing towards the rear while 3 others are indifferent. In how many ways can the 10 passengers be seated?

A.172000

B.12600

C.45920

D.43200
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 22:13
suryav wrote:
In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing each other with accommodation for 5 in each, 4 wish to sit facing forward and 3 facing towards the rear while 3 others are indifferent. In how many ways can the 10 passengers be seated?

A.172000

B.12600

C.45920

D.43200

Here is another way to think about it - each seat is distinct. 5 face forward and 5 face back.
Start with the 4 people who want to face forward - for the first one, there are 5 options, for next one, 4 options and so on till we get 5*4*3*2.
Next, go on to 3 people who want to face back - for the first one, there are 5 options, for the next one, 4 options and so on till we get 5*4*3.
Now, we have 3 seats leftover and 3 indifferent people who can be arranged in 3*2*1 ways.
All in all, we can arrange 10 people in 5*4*3*2*5*4*3*3*2*1 = 14400 * 3 = 43200

Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2014, 03:26
suryav wrote:

A.172000

B.12600

C.45920

D.43200

A --> E
B --> F
C --> G
D --> X
X --> X

The total number of arrangements = \(5!*5!*C^1_3=43,200\), where 5! is the number of ways to arrange 5 people facing forward, 5! is the number of ways to arrange 5 people facing backward, and \(C^1_3\) is the number of ways to choose 1 out of 3 indifferent who will face forward (the remaining 2 will face backward).

Answer: D.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 08:50
I can understand the last 3! (for the 3 who are indifferent) but should not we do factorial for 4 facing front and 3 facing rear?

How do we get 5! * 5!?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 08:58
dina98 wrote:
I can understand the last 3! (for the 3 who are indifferent) but should not we do factorial for 4 facing front and 3 facing rear?

How do we get 5! * 5!?

In each row the number of arrangements is 5! because there are 5 seats. Hence, 5!*5!.

Next, there are 3 people which does not care where they sit. \(C^1_3=3\) is the number of ways to choose which one of them will sit with 4 wishing to sit facing forward and the remaining 2 will automatically be placed with 3 wishing to sit facing towards the rear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 01:30
This is permutation since order needs to be considered
4 persons have a choice of 5 seats (5P4), again 3 persons have a choice of 5 seats (5P3)and the remaining 3 persons in the remaining 3 seats(3!).
Total number of arrangements is 5P4*5P3*3!=43,200

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 03:00
Can someone help me solve this in slot method. I tried but was not successful.

I considered FFFFRRRIII , F being facing forward, R being facing rear and I being indifferent. this can be arranged in 10!/4!3!3!. What is wrong in my approach.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 02:09
Hi,
I think you considered all in one row. But question clearly states - there are 2 rows of seats facing each other with accommodation for 5 in each.

F=>F1 F2 F3 F4 I1
R=>R1 R2 R3 I2 I3

Lets select and arrange F row for (F1 to F4)- > 5C4*4! .= 5*4! = 5! = 120
Lets select and arrange R row for (R1 to R3)- > 5C3*3!.=10 * 6 = 60
Now remaining 3 indifferent can be arranged in 3! = 6 ways.

Total = 120*60*6 = 43200

Ans : - D

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

Re: In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2017, 02:09

In a railway compartment, there are 2 rows of seats facing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap