GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 08:55

R1 Admission Decisions:

CMU Tepper in Calling R1 Admits   |  Kellogg Calls are Expected Shortly


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1118
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 01:20
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (03:12) correct 56% (02:41) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 play hockey. Every student plays at least one sport. If 20 students play only football, what is the maximum number of students who play both cricket and hockey but not football?
A) 30
B) 40
C) 50
D) 60
E) 70

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Dec 2017
Posts: 385
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 10:35
I could pick up numbers, and the max = 50. Can someone elaborate the solution, thanks.
Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1118
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 17:58
1
As Every student plays at least one sport, that means union of students playing Football, Cricket & Hockey = 150.
Conventional Approach : Using Venn diagram
Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.24.09.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.24.09.jpeg [ 119.21 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1118
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 18:05
This Question can be done easily using Line diagram approach:
1) First we need to restrict the two parallel lines indicating the union of students.
2) Mark the Students who play Cricket.
3) Mark the students who play Football.
4) This is the most crucial step, mark the students who play Hockey such that the condition that students playing only Football is 20.
Try to get the maximum overlap of Cricket & Hockey only (no overlap of Football).
Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.25.01.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.25.01.jpeg [ 61.53 KiB | Viewed 1451 times ]

With some practice this method will be much easier than the conventional approach.
Happy Learning. :angel:
_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2018
Posts: 19
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
CAT Tests
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 03:21
gmatbusters wrote:
As Every student plays at least one sport, that means union of students playing Football, Cricket & Hockey = 150.
Conventional Approach : Using Venn diagram
Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.24.09.jpeg



Hi,

Can you please explain how did you arrive at "100+20+80-b-d=150"

Thanks!
Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1118
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 05:22
Hi
As we know the union means students playing at least one of the game = 150.
Add all the terms in the Venn diagram will be union = 150
So, 100-(a+b+d)+a+20+b+d+c+80-(b+d+c) =150
Simplifying, we get 100+20+80-b-d=150

Hope it is clear now.

ajtmatch wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
As Every student plays at least one sport, that means union of students playing Football, Cricket & Hockey = 150.
Conventional Approach : Using Venn diagram
Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.24.09.jpeg



Hi,

Can you please explain how did you arrive at "100+20+80-b-d=150"

Thanks!

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 May 2018
Posts: 2
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 04:50
Why isn't the answer 60? Why have we only given 50 at the start in Hockey, instead of 60?
Bunuel Can you please clarify?

gmatbusters wrote:
This Question can be done easily using Line diagram approach:
1) First we need to restrict the two parallel lines indicating the union of students.
2) Mark the Students who play Cricket.
3) Mark the students who play Football.
4) This is the most crucial step, mark the students who play Hockey such that the condition that students playing only Football is 20.
Try to get the maximum overlap of Cricket & Hockey only (no overlap of Football).
Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.25.01.jpeg

With some practice this method will be much easier than the conventional approach.
Happy Learning. :angel:
Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1118
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 05:08
Hi vikassriv14

If u see the line diagram , you can see if we extend 60 for overlap of Cricket and Hockey, we can't achieve 20 students for on;y Football. This is the constraint for this problem.
for meeting all the conditions of the problem, 50 is the maximum numbers of students who play Cricket & hockey but not football.
Attachment:
Screenshot002.jpg
Screenshot002.jpg [ 53.79 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

vikassriv14 wrote:
Why isn't the answer 60? Why have we only given 50 at the start in Hockey, instead of 60?
Bunuel Can you please clarify?

gmatbusters wrote:
This Question can be done easily using Line diagram approach:
1) First we need to restrict the two parallel lines indicating the union of students.
2) Mark the Students who play Cricket.
3) Mark the students who play Football.
4) This is the most crucial step, mark the students who play Hockey such that the condition that students playing only Football is 20.
Try to get the maximum overlap of Cricket & Hockey only (no overlap of Football).
Attachment:
The attachment WhatsApp Image 2018-05-21 at 07.25.01.jpeg is no longer available

With some practice this method will be much easier than the conventional approach.
Happy Learning. :angel:

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jun 2018, 05:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a school of 150 students, 100 play cricket, 90 play football, 80 pl

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.