It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 07:37
This is a very beautiful question which test our knowledge of parallelism .
Option D is correct answer .
The sentence talks about the events that had already happened in past and continued for two years so we have to use had been .
Also note that after and should alert us to use Sub+Verb structure .
Am i wright in my reasoning ?

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 00:47
sathyadev09 wrote:
In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years, and they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.

A) had been trained over the past two years, and they
B) were trained over the past two years, and they had
C) were trained over the past two years and they have
D) had been trained over the past two years and that they had
E) had been trained over the past two years and that they have

It Can Not be 'D' for:

1. "had been trained" is not a past perfect tense, it's just "passive voice" happened in past.

2. "was/were trained" is always a better English than "has/had been trained" until or unless there is a use of "since".

3. and last but not the least you cannot estimate something which has already happened.

Hence, respecting the question the best option cannot be anything except "A".

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 33

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 08:35
In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years, and they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.

Points to remember:
1. In this question we need a past perfect since the 2 things "training" and "receiving of 2 million dollars" had taken place before the interview.
2. The rebels are estimating 2 things "training" and "receiving of 2 million dollars"; therefore, we need "that" after and to maintain parallelism.

Straightforward answer -> "D"

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 125

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:09
Two questions about this problem:

1. The use of "they" is not ambiguous? The pronoun can refers logically to the rebels as well as the few fighters.

2. I wonder why should we necessarily use past perfect in this sentence? It is crystal clear from the sentence that the fighters had started to train long before the estimation of the rebels, as the sentence say that "trained over the past two years". As the sequence of events is absolutely clear the use of past perfect is optional but not must, that is past simple will work as well. So up to my understanding we don't necessarily need to use the past perfect tense to convey the intended meaning of the sentence.

Thanks in advance!

Manager
Manager
B

Past perfect tens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:19
I'm a bit confused with the proper use of the past perfect tens. Take this question (from veritas prep) for example:

The correct answer (according to veritas) is D, on the basis of parallelism and tens errors. My question is why option B is wrong in terms of tens (i understand why is not correct for parallelism). It is crystal clear from the sentence that the fighters had started to train long before the estimation of the rebels, as the sentence say "trained over the past two years". As the sequence of events is absolutely clear the use of past perfect is optional but not must, that is past simple will work as well. So up to my understanding we don't necessarily need to use the past perfect tense to convey the intended meaning that the fighters began to train before the estimation of the rebels.

So is this sentence will be valid: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters were trained over the past two years, and that they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period (i just added the word "that" to option B for parallelism reasons). I didn't use the past perfect for the last to actions as well because the sentence say that the fighters received ammunition, guns, ect "during the same time period".

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by broall on 29 Aug 2017, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Past perfect tens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 04:06
Split 1: Parallelism
Notice that the sentence is reported speech. In an interview, rebels estimated that .... and .... Here, "and" is included in underlined part. So eliminate A,B,C. now between D and E, "they had" is the correct tense. We might not know whether they have same artillery now. We just read it as a message. So "they had" is correct. Correct Option D.

Split 2: were vs had
Again, this is reported speech. Rebels are being interviewed. They have estimated the number of fighters trained. But the action of training and the receiving of funds happened during the same period. So, clearly, it happened before estimation. Hence, we must use "had" for both the actions.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 02:26
Hello mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, and other experts

I have a little confusion about the usage of past perfect here.

Why is this construction not correct here?
In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters were trained over the past two years and that they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.

The phrase 'over the past two years ' clearly show when the training and receiving happened.

It would be great if you could reply.

Thanks

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8438 [0], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 13:04
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, and other experts

I have a little confusion about the usage of past perfect here.

Why is this construction not correct here?
In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters were trained over the past two years and that they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.

The phrase 'over the past two years ' clearly show when the training and receiving happened.

It would be great if you could reply.

Thanks

Dear Shiv2016,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I am fan of most Veritas questions, but in this one, I think they were too gung-ho about the use of the past perfect. I agree with you: there are enough other time markers in the sentence that the past perfect is not strictly necessary.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8438 [0], given: 102

Re: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 13:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap